1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smoke and Mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by malorn, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And that's one of the reasons why I think Malorn has a point to be made, somewhere. Toyota is pushing green on the one hand, yet pushing the SUV stereotype on the other, but could they do it while appearing slightly less sleazy? :)

2. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

It's weird. It's like there's this bifurcation of Toyota's marketing... almost as if it's not even the same company that does the commercials for them.

That's a stark contrast from the "City" Prius commercial (in my opinion, one of the most artistic and memorable car commercials) and all the stupid Truck commercials.

Call it wishful thinking, but I think hope the green side wins.

I see malorn's point... Toyota is part jekyll, part hyde... I just think it's more jekyll.

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It will be a very tight rope for Toyota to walk, trying to be all things to all people. Especially when, in my mind, the hybrid market and the full-size truck market appear to be at polar opposites of the marketing continuum.

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Isn't this exactly what every major corporation has to do as well? Dell, for example, pushes their bargain PCs but also now is focusing on their high-end XPS machines. There are markets for both.

Apple is really the only corporation I know of that never tried to make something for everyone - until, that is, they came out with the iMac, the machine that saved them from bankruptcy and shutdown.

And to answer a prior question, no, my father never looked at any domestic trucks. The Tundra had the reliability and design he was looking for.

5. Cully

Cully New Member

Does anyone here know how to turn off the reverse beep on a 2005? :blink:

6. LaughingMan

Your best bet is to probably do a search, and not to jump into a random thread. :huh:

But since you're new see here :
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...hl=reverse+beep

I take it back... you're not new... you're a masive lurker!!

7. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's tougher with automobiles. They are such a tangible, noticable product. They are often times regarded as an extension of personality or lack of. When is a computer brand an extension of personality with the possible exception of Apple.

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's not a really good comparison. The market for computer users is generally based on price and need. It's not like Dell is running commercials telling people that they need an XPS to be a true manly man.

9. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Malorn has said a couple of times that GM is a FE leader by class. Facts say otherwise. Note that this table specifically *excludes* hybrids.

[​IMG]

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    GM leads more categories thana any other carmaker. I will provide proof later tonight, I am late for a meeting.

11. LaughingMan

No... they run commercials with the most obnoxious characters possible...

"Dude, you're getting a DELL!!!!"

:lol:

12. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Malorn said: "GM leads more categories thana any other carmaker. I will provide proof later tonight, I am late for a meeting."

The line I read in GM's annual report discussing environmental concerns was that GM has more models with > 30 MPG than any other manufacturer.

This is true; it is also typical claptrap from them, because they ignored city MPG, ignored best of class, and ignored the small detail that this is simply a side-effect of their marketing where they take one vehicle and label them as different models in order to capture all the varying consumer levels of creature comforts.

13. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I keep wondering why Malorn picked this forum to express his concerns as opposed to a Tundra forum for example. I don't mind him here at all, but just curious what his reasoning was behind this as he stated he absoultely had no beef with a Prius. Why didn't he find a general Toyota forum? Just curious.

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I asked him and he's willing, but doesn't know where to go. I didn't either as I'm not in the habit of going to groups for that reason. I mean, I won't go to HummerChat and ask they why they own them. Maybe some links will help. I guess the Prius was targeted as that's Toyota's green car.

15. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

but he had no problem finding this site. I mean I just searched for "Toyota Tundra Forum" and there ware plenty of forums.

he is back from the meeting maybe he will tell us, maybe not

16. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Malorn, do you report your findings from this site at those meetings?
    This could an excellent resource for your next "how to proceed" strategy

17. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this wrong though? It's not as if they are saying they are vegitarian and then killing and eating a cow.

They are a business. Businesses need to weigh lots of things and this is one of them. As human beings, the executives seem to see the importance of getting away from fossil fuels. As corporation execs, they see the need to keep profits coming in and see trucks as a market that is still there and one they can do better in.

I could see the argument if they started making bigger trucks then the competition. But I don't have a problem with them making trucks just to compete.

This is good business practice and will only help ensure their success and ability to continue towards greater overall fuel efficiency.

Let's not forget - Toyota is a CAR company. NOT a hybrid company.

18. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, this needs to be pointed out:

"The minicompact model car shown is the Lexus SC430, a luxury coupe with an efficient V8 engine"

LMAO... Yeah, I'd lump that into the minicompact category all right...

Yeah, what are they lumping that in with a, 4 cyl. INefficient Ford Focus??? LOL, unless there's something I'm missing, this graph is a joke.

19. LaughingMan

Well that car in that category certainly doesn't help them... :blink:

20. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Like I said earlier, I came on here to see what makes you people tick, try to challenge some of your assumptions, and gauge the loyalty you have to Toyota.

On count #1:
    You are by and large great people and probably a little more varied in you opinions and attitudes than I originally surmised. You have much passion for your "hybrids" adn in most cases for the environment.

I may have made some of you challenge your assumptions about the automotive industry, the trade situation, and Toyota in general, but you also made sure I challenged mine.

I have seen two general opinions on here, those who are fiercely loyal to toyota for a myriad of reasons, and those that are fiercely loyal to the "hybrid" and genuinely believe yu are making a difference in our environment.

Going in I knew of three fiercely loyal customer bases in the automotive industry.
    1. Chevy truck owners
    2. Ford Truck owners
    3. Toyota car owners

Now I must add a fourth category to the mix, just not sure if it is a new category or a "hybrid" of the third. I couldn't resist!

I will pursue the Toyota store from a survival standpoint for my family, but until all Toyota's are built in this country with North American parts, will always favor GM and Ford!