1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smoke and Mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by malorn, Oct 28, 2005.

1. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would like to know too. Nissan actually means "Japanese made" (or similar).

2. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How many CPU's does it take to equal $50000?

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    She has seen all of the image ads done by the Japanese Big 3, positioning themselves as American companies. Who on this board has not seen several of the ads touting a new plant in the south(another whole issue). Your New Toyota is assembled by Jim Bob and that is how Toyota is creating Jobs in the US economy!

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jeez, it wasn't even quality, to start with. It took decades before Detroit bothered to make cars with right-hand drive for Japan. Detroit just wasn't interested in markets outside America. Now it's too late; they're screwed for multiple reasons.

5. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

So according to you, the American public makes car purchase decisions solely based on whether the car manufacturer is an American company or not?

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Of course not. It really didn't have much to do with her buying decision. When I questioned her about her decision, she claimed her main motivator was gas mileage.

7. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Quite a few.

However, I'm sure you know that a 50K lexus isn't 50K in profit.

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Probably 12-18k in profit but 96% of the components are manufactured in Japan. So the 50K is circulated in Japan as opposed to the US.

9. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

10. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

so, she wanted a car with great milage, and she bought the Altima becasue it was American? it doesn't make sense does it?

11. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Let me see, now you make your decision based on ads, when you buy a car?

Can you understand that I don't care if they are Japanese, Slovenian, Nicaraguan made, as long as they deliver a product that works. If it was American I would buy it, but it isn't. And if the money goes to the Japanese, than be it, since they deserve it for creating it.

I am tired of nationalism (and religion), they only create wars and separate people. Dude think GLOBAL. Good for the WORLD, not just for Americans! If this country goes down, then be it and you will cry and I will laugh. Why? Because I can see why we failed and you can't. And because of the people like you this country will go down. You simply want crap to be offered to you and you will nicely smile and say it's great. So, nothing will ever progress.
    There is still hope because of people like us.

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No she bought the car because she figured it had great gas mileage, "don't all Toyota's, Nissan's and Honda's get great gas mileage" exact quote.

13. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

she figured? how?

14. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What do you do for a living?

15. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

read PriusChat

16. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

if the US is bullying everyone around that's OK, but when you are buying bullied, you cry and say that's not fair???? Get real.

17. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What do you do for a living?

18. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

read PriusChat, I already said it.

You want to scare me that when GM goes belly up I will be affected and this other crap????? Then I will be, so? It's THEIR fault and if the people in this country are affected because of their stupidity they should live with that guilt and not me.

How is my profession relevant to a crappy American-made cars? Your accusations are unfunded and hold no credibility as you have no proof that buying Toyota makes the big 3 produce inferior automobiles.
    All they have to do is build a decent automobile. That's all. And they chose not to, so you are going to convert me and pound it in my head that they are wonderful by pointing me to some websites? I've got my own experiences and will only base my car buying decisions from my experiances and trust me I WILL NEVER EVER buy an American car! Unless they really wake up.

19. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

She doesn't sound like a very educated and smart shopper-consumer to me then...

Malorn, you are trying to convert-convince people on the wrong forum. The majority of the people here did a lot of research, asked questions, did many comparisons, etc. before buying their automobile.

The only way I'll be upset by one of the Big-3 going belly-up is when my tax dollars are used to bail them out.

20. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think she is pretty typical. Remember that nobody on this site including myself would ever be mistaken for a "typical" consumer.