1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smoking Coolant and Violent knock at start with no CEL*head scratcher*

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Palipride, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Palipride

Palipride New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Good day Prius chat,

Ive had this Prius gen 3 for about 20k and it's been great till about a few days ago.... I was stopped at a red light and just as the engine kicked in a loud knock happened for about 3 seconds at low rpms and went away.

I kept driving untill it happened again and I noticed it had a strong shake to it. I stopped checked oil good and coolant good .

Drove home and noticed the car was smoking bad from the exhaust and under hood.

Couldn't really tell where smoke from the engine bay is coming from seems to be lower part of engine.

I took apart the intake manifold and behold there was a pool of water/oil I cleaned it well, cleaned the EGR pipe installed a oil catch can and put everything back .

Fired it up.... annnnnnd no improvements at all hahahaa

The smoke only happens in park on idle if I'm driving there is absolutely no smoke but throttle is hard to get to speed.

What do you guys think ?

Attached Files:

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Loan headgasket

3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle: