1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smudge on the Digital Dash mirror!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by darelldd, Feb 28, 2006.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    yup, yup. all good points.

If the mirror IS plastic (no way that it is!) then harsh solvents would be the end of it. No question that it is glass He says with completely false confidence). And no question that I get myself into trouble all the time. ;)

I just got back in from slapping on my BT brace. Now I'll have a look at that mirror since the sun is finally out.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *Take a picture* of it before you do anything. In fact, it's probably best to take it to the dealer and have them acknowledge the defect before you try to do anything to it. If not documented by them they could assert that you messed it up and is therefore not a warranty repair item.

If you do decide to tackle it I would not try anything more aggressive than GooGone. The surface is some sort of organic plastic and any other solvent is too likely to start dissolving that surface. And definitely don't use a razor blade; that would just scrape it up worse.

3. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Be advised... The entire car could start melting. So prepare to use the anti-melt agent.

4. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That stuff is of the devil!

I very briefly tried solven on a Q-tip. The smudge just laughed. Whoever said the glass was "coated" is correct. I'm not touching what I *thought* was glass here! A razor blade certainly won't work. Now I'm starting to think that this smudge might be UNDER the weird coating. Something would have changed by no... and NOTHING has. it looks just like it did before I started. I DO now have pictures which I'll post when I have some time.

Time for a dealer appointment. I sure appreciate all the help to get me as far as I am!

5. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  6. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Besides the "goo" you also have a big blue arrow on it :D

7. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I thought everybody had the blue arrow!?

I shouldn't kid about these things with how confused I was about the mirror position and orientation!

8. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Your picture from inside the car is just a ? on my screen. This whole thing has been that way but that does not equal crazy, just difficult. That really is a nasty mark!

Allan de

9. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Allan -

Not sure what was wrong with the second shot. Should be working now???

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm. dealership. looks like a manufacturers defect. someone a bit sloppy with the glue while sticking it together.

dont know if solvent is good idea. remember glass is surrounded by easily edible plastic.

11. mouztrpd

mouztrpd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    While cleaning mine I pressed too hard on that "glass". It seemed to have seperated some sort of polarization film on the underside. I now have spots on my display. I'm used to it now but at first I was very sorry I did that. Not sure mine is warranty since I'm sure I did it. My wife knowing I'm all thumbs won't let me mess it.

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Dave -

We're in agreement here. I'm not one who gives up easily... but in this case, I've gone as far as I'm willing to go. I did try the solvent already, and was very careful where it went. Absolutely NOTHING changed. Uncle!

If I haven't said it enough- THANKS to everybody for the help (and not laughing TOO loud.)

13. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That pic almost looks like the silver mercury on the back of the mirror has been ate off with some solvent?.. It does like like its on the underside of the glass or mirror.

I felt mine today while cleaning and It feels like plastic on top covering the mirror.

See if you can find out from the dealer how that comes out.. its it a dash removal or what?

Still if the dealer does it.... hopefully they would get it all back together properly.

Are there any modifications you've done they may screw up?

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh yeah... plenty. But my local tech is now a friend (he's the only one who works on my Rav4EV as well) and knows how I am. I'll have no problems beyond the possible inconvenience of having to reinstall certain items. :(

I'll finally make the call tomorrow.

15. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, good news... sort of.

Called my local tech. He has replaced a mirror already for this SAME REASON. He trusts my judgement and is ordering a new one sight-unseen, so I don't have to waste a trip down there. The entire dash DOES need to come off, but he says "no biggie. Just takes all day." :)

And the other thing he said, is that the mirror is TOTALLY plastic. No glass in there at all. So it isn't coated with something un-glass-like. It IS un-glass-like.

He also told me that he has been surprised that there have been no other reports of damage to that mirror (save the one we read in this thread!). At least he hasn't replaced any beyond the other warranty claim like mine. Apparently those things are pretty tough, and can shrug off whatever people use to clean the windows and dash.

Car will go in when the parts arrive.

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    space-age plastic strikes again!!

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't think it is "space age." I'll be it is FAR more modern than that! The "space age" was the late 60's! Always cracks me up when I hear people advertising that way. I assume they mean "state of the art" or "cutting edge." Space Age is getting a bit long in the tooth! Want a "Space Age" computer? :)

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok "space-age" was a reference to products that may have been designed well for space but didnt translate well to civillian life.

"adult-proof" bubble packing comes to mind. ever try to open one of those things without a razor knife??

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Were those on the Mercury missions? :)

Anyway... I do wonder what the advantage of a plastic mirror would be over a sturdy glass one? I'm sure there was some logical reason for the choice.

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    lighter?? no rattle, no breakage mostly i would think. good question actually. doesnt plastic condesate less??