1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sneak Peek of the New Prius #4

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Prius Team, Oct 27, 2008.

1. marzprius

marzprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Looks to be a power lumbar, with the current height adjustment lever behind it. Which is fine, as long as the height adjustment is there I don't care whether or not it's power. What I do want is longer seat travel & telescopic wheel, there's no need for all that rear seat leg room while I'm cramped up front. I can always move my seat forward if some one needs more legroom behind me, but it'd be niice to have the capability to stretch out the 98% of the time nobody's behind me.
    Front leg comfort is especially going to suck with that ridiculous center console they insist on if the seat track distance stays the same.
    The new design is disappointing, I keep hoping it's just a decoy & we'll see the real thing shown in Detroit. It seems we going backwards into conventionality: center console taking up useful space, the needless shifter placement, MFD placed out of sight / rather than in front of driver, styling becoming more cluttered instead of bolder. Not the forward leap that the '04 was, not even an evolution, but quite the opposite.:confused:

2. Derek

Derek New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Wow perfect. It is getting easier to skip purchasing a Gen II and just moving onto a Gen III. :)

3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

power lumbar support + seat height adjuster is goodies... I wonder if leather seats will get electric adjustments as well (or at least in Europe we get it in all models that have factory leather)...

4. Neohybrid

Neohybrid Not-so-junior member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'll settle for power lumbar (even manual) and height adjustment. I just wonder if they'll put it in the passenger side as well since I don't always get to drive.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    excellenté!!! mucho graçias!!!! Thanks guys! Merci!! Yay! more adjustments. Ok powered controls do add weight but at least there's more adjustments!

Oh and that door sill looks nice... an illuminated one would be better *hint* *hint* hehe.

6. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I WAS very disappointed when my 08 had no power seats or adjustments.

I realize that we're all very excited, but this is NOT a big deal, it should have been available long time ago, at least in the GEN II..........just my 2 cents.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe it is power back angle adjustment.
    There is a manual height adjustment handle in shot, manual slide handle in shot and that switch.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see the mechanical handle in front for sliding the seat back/forth. Can't make out the icon on the power button, guess it's for lumbar.

Lower left is seat mount.

Handle to right must be the height adjuster. Seatback adjuster would be right behind it.

Nice work. :cheer2:

9. Dr_Prius

Dr_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't think the lever at the very right is for height adjustment. It looks like a conventional seat-back adjustment handle.

10. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have not been following these "photo of the day" posts, or whatever you are calling them.
    What proof or evidence do we have that these photos are even real ?
    Has anyone verified who "Prius Team" is?
    Is it some 16-year old kid who is screwing around with you guys, or is it a verified, legitimate source from inside Toyota?

???????
    ??????
    ?????
    ????
    ???
    ??
    ?

11. lob

lob New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Interesting to see a relatively heavy new component, and electric motor and gearset, coming along for the ride. My Honda Civic has an manually adjustable seat height control. That would have been more interesting than a power switch.

That particular Honda seat control was a trouble spot. The bushings would work loose and allow the seat to rock. The dealer would dutifully replace the assembly, over and over again under warranty. Now that the warranty has expired, I have had to get used to the rocking seat.

My Civic was a first year run (2001), and that is precisely the kind of problem I would worry about if I end up waiting for the 2010 Prius in its first year of production.

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes they're real and confirmed and we were aware they would be posted before they were.

13. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

heh... well it is not electric :).... and even if it was, Prius is hardly first Toyota to have it. I have had 0 issues with electric seats in my Toyota/Lexus vehicles that I owned, hardly an new technology there..

14. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Authentic or not, the latest photo is pretty amateurish compositionally and the quality is downright bad. Very unlike the first three.

15. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It has a pneumatic hand pump. When you get in, there's a bicycle-like pump and you have to pump the air tank up to 100psi first, then you can use the pneumatic seats. :D

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That'll be power lumbar (you can just make out the arrow pointing the lumbar area). And all Toyota lumbar support switches are of that double dimple type. Toyota's recline switch would be a rocker switched fixed at the bottom and angled at 45°.

17. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I wouldn't care if I had to jack the seat up to get it higher - just something other than pillows and foam padding please.

18. Mormegil

Mormegil Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    About time they put an ejector seat button on these things!

19. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

Don't forget, for every "new" comfy-feature added to Prius 2009/10, it is gonna add, not just weight, but also cost and complexity the entire package.

I'd rather Toyota get the hybrid basics enhanced like higher battery-energy-weight-ratio, improved safety and yes that promised improved fuel economy...

In short, no free lunch.

20. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

but they are :). Yes, it will have improved safety, more comfy, more features, more tech, 1.8l engine, 60hp battery output for total of 160hp AND better mpg between 10% and 15%...