1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sneak Peek of the New Prius #4

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Prius Team, Oct 27, 2008.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya right...

i would venture to think its tilt and rise not forwards and backwards

2. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree. It's crazy to have lots of legroom in the back seat, while front seat legroom is limited. I rarely have anyone in the back seat. We should have the option to slide the seat back further, then, as you said, slide it up if someone in the back needs room.

I took my car to a handicap retrofitter that shifted the travel of my seats back three inches. Now I can slide the front seats back three inches more than the OEM position. It feels much more comfortable.

Toyota is an excellent company. But they should realize that people are taller in the US than in Japan. It seems that many Toyota cars don't allow the front seats to slide back far enough.

US Toyota models differ in many ways from Japanese models. One of the differences should be more front seat legroom.

I also think it's great that the new Prius will have driver's seat height adjustment. It's unbelievable that they put height adjustment on the $13,000 Yaris sedan and every other US Toyota model, but didn't put it on all versions of the Prius, including the $30,000 #6. Toyota doesn't make many mistakes. But not putting height adjustment on the Prius was a really big and stupid mistake.

The Prius has height adjustment everywhere in the world except the US and Canada. I heard that the decision to not put height adjustment in the Prius was not made by Toyota in Japan, but rather by US Toyota. This makes sense. Perhaps US Toyota is emulating the bad decisions so often made by US car companies.

3. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How much did it cost?

I'd love to know who the idiot was to come up with that decision.

4. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

5. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    While I'd have more leg-room if I slid my seat back further, the problem I have is that the steering wheel is then too far way.

Keep in mind that the proper driving position lets you rest your wrist on the top of the steering wheel without reaching. If you can not do that, you are too far away from the steering wheel for full control in emergency situations.

I need a telescoping steering wheel to do that with enough leg room (mostly for my left foot).

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Apparently, that has already been taken care of.

7. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I ride with the seat back all the way up. So even with the seat 3 inches farther back than the OEM farthest back position, I can still comfortably place my hands at 2 and 10 O'Clock on the wheel.

For me, the cramped leg room was unacceptable. Therefore I did the research needed to find mod options. A telescoping wheel would be nice. But I felt 95 percent of the problem was seat position. I mostly solved that, though I'd like to have the seat an inch or two lower.

8. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

where is my sneak peak #5? :)

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been around 11am or noon prev. weeks...if we get another one. It was my understanding that the first and last would be posted here...sorta makes me think there won't be more.

I hope I'm mistaken.:(

10. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    [​IMG]

OH COOOLL !!
    An eject button!

ZC1

11. Heikki

Heikki Junior Member

Vehicle: