1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sneak Peek of the New Prius #5 - B mode confirmed

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That makes perfect sense. Thank you. :)

2. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Now why do I like the dash better in my '08? I like the shifter out of the way--since you almost never use it driving. And I like the LCD screen up higher in the middle where it's viewable without moving your head.

They are already talking about CVT type transmissions in race cars. And how the manual tranny is on the way out.

Rupp has built a 100% electrical (battery)prototype Porsche 911. 0-60 mph in 7.0 secs. Single speed CVT tranny. Electricals don't need gears since full torque is achieved at 0 rpm. This is the future of race cars.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interestingly, I use it almost constantly when driving...I shift b/w D & N a lot and that position better.
    Maybe, the LCD in our HiHy is more closely placed like the new Prius...it's really not an issue at all

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok... having a shifter that glows slightly i think is a good idea especially since it will no longer be as easily seen in its new position... i wonder if the higher glow factor for other controls like steering wheel and driver door will be "glowing?"

5. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree Evan, it does make perfect sense. Except for the fact that any re-gen carried out at higher amperage current flows is inherently inefficient, due to the power losses in the circuitry, which shows up as heat. And 100 amps will certainly generate heat. Remember the power losses are proportional to I*2xR, where I = current and R = resistance.

So gentle braking is always more efficient. Also when using "B" mode going down a long hill, presumably the current flow eventually tapers to zero when the traction battery is fully charged. At this point, braking drag is then due solely to ICE pumping supplemented by Friction (brake pad) braking as necessary. Or am I missing something?

Ron.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True, that's why I always aim for the 60amp braking range...something shown to be most efficient. The question is though, what's more efficient when going down a hill...using the brakes or using B-mode....and even factoring in the heat generated and efficiency losses regen braking w/o B-mode is more efficient.
    Only that the battery will get full the same way using the brakes and you can then choose whether to suffer a little friction brake wear or you still have the option of B-mode sans regen.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use B if I hit the top of one particular hill with a near full battery (not green but near green) because I know at the bottom of the hill I will either be 20km/h over the speed limit and the ICE will be spinning at the next traffic lights anyway, or I'll be riding the brakes for the last two thirds of the descent, a full battery for the last third and still have the ICE spinning at the next traffic lights.
    If I use B mode once the car is 3 or 4 km/h over the 80km/h speed limit I arrive at the next lights without using the brakes, the battery is full and green and the ICE might spin for a few seconds after I stop.

This hill isn't all that high but is fairly steep, it is about 2km top to bottom, has a speed limit of 80km/h at the top but just as it levels out at the bottom the speed limit drops to 70km/h.

That new interior is growing on me.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And that's fine, and going down a very long steep mountain it's a reasonable option without any real drawbacks. But it never offers any significant advantages either.

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Guess where #6 is...

This new photo was well worth the wait!

It's pretty sweet !!!

10. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

would be so much more useful if you posted the link, now I have to look around :)

11. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Don't feed the trolls. ;)

PA P

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think you misunderstood that completely.

Let's try again.

13. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think you missed the Palin pic at the end of that sentence!

Just thought were "trolling" for "Tell me where! Tell me where!" I would have done the same had Toyota posted to my website. The complete link is helpful.

The question remains-- Gas guage or guess guage.

PA P

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was hoping the hint was obvious enough and someone would post it in a new thread for us... Oh well.

15. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Anyone think that maybe that's what will be diplayed on the windshield, if there is in fact a HUD in the 2010? I mean it could of course be in a cluster somewhere, but how much cooler if that is in fact projected onto the windshield...

[​IMG]

16. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

going back, yeah it was obvious... good job john :)

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When are people going to learn that it's not a "sneak PEAK" ??!
    And what-all is so "sneak" about any of this? If a picture's
    source cannot be substantiated, why should I believe any of it?
    _H*

18. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i demand a new #6 sneak peak. we've seen that in the previous pics.. plus.. it doesn't answer any questions.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The source has been substantiated Hobbit.

20. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree and I'm sure people are tired of hearing it but I HATE the new shifter, both in size and placement. 90% of that arch is housing the oversize, misplaced shifter, a forward cup holder that is more usable in its current location and a LOT of dead space all encroaching on the driver's right leg and the passenger's left leg.

In addition, moving the rear cup holder back and inside the arm rest console:

1. Makes the arm rest unusable when the cup holder is in use. I also wonder what happens to the rear cup holders when the arm rest is slid back to access the cup holder in the console.
    2. Puts the cup holder in an awkward to reach position because it is too far back to reach the cup without lifting your shoulder, elbow and arm. That motion is nearly impossible for my wife (she has Rheumatoid Arthritis) where the current location is fine. In addition, being sunk below the level of the arm rest, you will necessarily have to grab it from the top, rather than the side since your arm really doesn't twist that way.
    3. Makes laying your arm along the arm rest uncomfortable at best even if neither cup holder is in use. Maybe this is a 'tall person' problem, but where the cup holders are now, you have a long flat surface that curves slightly down forward when closed. Very comfortable to lay your arm on. This design leaves a sharp valley, then slopes up in what would be a very UNCOMFORTABLE forearm and wrist position.
    And while I am whining, it looks like they have at least 7 buttons on each side of the (now too low) MFD plus a round knob at the top. Talk about tying to cram too much function into a small space. How long will we have to take our eyes off the road to make sure we are hitting the right one? I can use the current ones without looking at all so making a change in the touch screen menus on MFD is quick and easy with little 'eye off the road' time.

Maybe I am one of very few who think this new shifter and location are BAD, but I hope everyone will mentally place themselves in the 'cockpit' and see if this abomination will be better for you than the current configuration. I frankly don't care what color the shifter is, nor whether or not it glows in the dark. I want it as small as possible and still be easy to use and back on the dash where it belongs.