1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sneak Peek of the New Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Prius Team, Oct 6, 2008.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    sigh,

holy Volt-esq PR

:p

2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

and i can guarantee you that you are correct... and also that there will be an larger lcd below it :). There will be cheaper version without big screen, which is good, having options is very good...

3. Dozzer

Dozzer Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Lets hope the new MFD software can show us some meaningful info for a change.. like ICE RPM, coolant temps, a sensible clock! (to replace the retro 80's version!), battery amperage, aux battery voltage...

Stuff that's worth looking at.. it's an MFD - Mutli-function display..

So, give it some function.
    Oh, and if it was customisable per key holder that would be superb!

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can completely understand the argument of "information overload" which is why I favor the customizable display. I think it was Nissan who unveiled a display with something like six customizable screens showing whatever data you wanted. That way, you can have your standard Energy Screen and Consumption Screen but also have a Hypermiling screen showing key points that you mention.

5. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hello all, can we change the start up screen on our MFD's, like changing a screen saver on our laptops????

just a thought....

6. damuffin

damuffin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    (it's coming) hmmm reminds me of Chev and there prototypes. hurry up and wait is what I say..

7. Brodie

Brodie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Seriously, you are all obsessed ;). I hadn't looked at this post before, went to the last page, and read back through all the posts, until I got to the picture.....which is a little picture of a little screen! What a letdown!!

Just kidding....it was just kind of funny reading how hyped up everyone was in the posts without having seen the pic first.

8. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i think its not the low res JPG but the low res pixels from the headup display like the base model hybrid camry got with out nav.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah I agree with what he said.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If the next gen welcome you, will it say good bye too?

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Maybe you thought you were havng a de ja vu ... maybe you thought this was really FHOP, and this was the thread about nothing. :p

12. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes. :p

13. 08kashmir

08kashmir New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes! That's what I want to know, too!

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree.

If Toyota wants a Corolla hatchback, make one. Toyota SAID they were going to put HSD in EVERY model. Haven't seen it yet. Even new models (Venza, coming late 2008) aren't HSD. It is just another 5 seat crossover with lousy mileage (22 combined) and a claustrophobic front 'cabin' similar to the 2010 Prius pictures and with gauges hidden behind the steering wheel. WHY bother making it at all? Bring back the Camry wagon and save a lot of design costs.

[​IMG]

What SHOULD have happened is through volume, Toyota would be building HSD versions of existing models when they come up for 'refresh' or redesign at the same price as the non HSD model. Then the non HSD models would fade into the sunset using 100% more fuel than their replacements.

I think Toyota has let us all down. People have been BEGGING for the hybrid minivan that Toyota has sold in Japan for YEARS. Not here. They have the technology (and patents) to substantially decrease gasoline usage thus helping the environment and saving their customers a lot of money, yet they are sitting on it. They have a number of REALLY GOOD ergonomic features on the Prius and they don't move them out to other models. Worse, they are now TAKING THEM OUT of the Prius.

Attached Files:

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    everything you've listed was to make things easier and with less effort... power windows instead of cranking, power door locks instead of individually unlocking the doors, turn the key instead of cranking and choking

16. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So much angst along with so much incorrect data/conclusions.

There IS a Corolla hatchback...it's called the Matrix, the hybrid version of which is called the Prius.

At present there cannot be a hybrid for every model..
    • the market will not support it, there simply are not enough buyers yet
    • the hybrid battery supply is insufficient, hopefully to change soon
    • other technological solutions are developing quickly so betting 'Allin' on one is risking one's whole stack unnecessarily
    • and frankly Toyota moves at its own pace, which annoys some creating angst
    What we can see is that there is a structure in place to move quickly, say 2-5 yrs, to hybridize a large segment of the product line where it makes sense. It makes no sense to hybridize the Corolla. It almost gets Prius fuel economy numbers with an 'old fashioned' ICE technology...and there are still improvements to come... and it costs a LOT less money. Ditto the Yaris.
    The Venza is perfectly situated to get an HSD option at the flip of a switch, at a time of Toyota's choosing.
    The Highlander is there already but it may benefit by a 2.7L+HSD option.
    The Sienna is perfectly situated to get an HSD option as well at the flip of a switch, also at a Toyota's choosing.
    Ditto the Avalon if it even survives this downturn.

However what if.....there is an agreement in place for the 4 major hybrid makers not to compete with each other until the market becomes more mature? Note that..
    ..Toyota has not built a hybrid RAV ( FEH competitor )
    ..Toyota has not built a small hybrid auto ( HCH competitor )
    ..Honda has not built a midsized hatchback hybrid ( close but the Insight is NOT equivalent to the Prius )
    ..GM and Ford have not ( yet ) built a hybrid Fusion / Malibu 2-Mode to compete against the TCH.
    ..Ford and Toyota have not built any BOF hybrids ( GM's sphere of influence )
    In fact none of the four compete directly in the same price strata. Each has there own - for the time being.

17. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've just noticed that the Venza in the photo above also has a magazine rack by the center console. Just the kind of thing I need. My wife would love that.

18. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That is precisely the point, is it not? All those things make driving easier and safer. As do any number of Prius features, some of which Toyota is apparently taking away on the 2010. They should be ADDING them to their other models for the same reason all those other things are there.

Look at that arch console thingy. 90% wasted space, just to hold up the gated joystick and a couple of buttons. It also puts the forward cup holder in a bad position: on an upslope, starting PRECISELY where (at least) my wrist lays when I have my arm resting on the center console when both cupholders are closed. That will be REAL comfortable. Yeah, yeah, I know both hands on the wheel at all times.

19. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maybe they don't have 'map pockets' in the doors? Didn't look that closely.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those are just an evolution of Toyota's side console pockets (Started with the Yaris)

The speedo makes it safer for sure and easier for me and for you and for those open enough to see it. But I do see their point. It does look very 80s compared to the cool Optitron electronic gauges. But that isn't the point since the new Prius seem to retain that speedo location which is good. The point is the shifter right? Yeah I agree it's stupid to put it back in the console, eating up valuable real estate but as I've said before, people nowadays aren't as adventurous as they were back in the days of experimenting with new things in cars (like an electronic starter/ignition). Those of us who realise its intention appreciate Toyota efforts to try new things (remember the gun grip of the 1st Generation?).