1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snow and hills, Oh my!

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Wolfie52, Jan 30, 2022.

1. Wolfie52

Wolfie52 Senior "Jr" Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is my first winter in our 2nd home, which is just off the Blue Ridge Parkway at 2700' in SW Virginia. We have a relatively steep dirt road to our home and lightly traveled county roads (BRP closes in snowy conditions) into town and I-77.

We can decide not to go to our Va home if the weather forecast is bad, but I decided to buy chains in case we were there and caught by surprise. (NO tow truck would likely make a house call!)

We went there to "isolate" after my wife caught Covid (she is fine) and after 2 or 3 winter storms we had several inches of snow and ice on our road and the local county roads. So today I put on the chains and negotiated our hill and the local road until we caught the interstate to come "home".

Bottom line is the Prime handled the chains well (several people told me there was not enough clearance) and got me up the hill easily. The HILLY roads were still icy and partially snow covered but keeping a modest 25 MPH there were no issues.

I had a full charge, but the 18°F and drag of the chains only netted me about 18 miles on EV. These are the chains I purchased SCC Shur Grip Super Z SZ329. Easy to put on, no jacking up the car and fit perfectly.
    OV street in snow.jpg Prime Time chains.jpg

#1 Wolfie52, Jan 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    drash, dtsexpert, pghyndman and 8 others like this.
  2. MTN

MTN Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    We have similar chains (cables really) left over from my VW - same 195/65r15 tires (super common, awesome size and cheap!), so we have a set to use on the Prime if needed. Great to have.