1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snow coming to MN. Large Hill and question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tammyvoje, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Tammyvoje

Tammyvoje Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am new to my 2008 Prius. I drive a hour to work in open country and I am a safe winter driver. There is one large(steep) hill that concerns me. I hear about traction control shutting off if it starts to slip?
    Should I use B for the hill if so can I switch when going at 40 mpg or what speed. Please help. I am nervous about this situation..

Tammy :(

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    B is for engine braking when going down a long steep hill so not to overheat the brakes. The engine will race and put a back force on the car. Don't use it uphill just downhill.

And yes TC is a pain going up a steep slippery hill. My car has never seen snow so will allow many more experienced snow drivers to come along soon and help you with some tips.

Good Luck!

Tammyvoje likes this.
  3. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Since you've driven in snow before just try to use your common sense (focus on the overall distance get a mild running start if possible and try not to slow or stop unnecessarily mid-hill).

The "B" selection is not something that you want to use in slippery conditions and doesn't help when ascending anyhow.

I think the most common problem people have had with Gen II traction control is with very slow speed climbs (like driveways, etc.).

4. Tammyvoje

Tammyvoje Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will the traction kick out the engine ?
    If so what do I do than?
    Maybe I will take a diff car till plows and sand get out. I'm 51 and take care of myself when it comes to winter driving. NYou want to pass me going 65 in winter see ya in the ditch.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes I guess you could say it kicks out the engine. TC governs the wheel speed to not allow one wheel to spin super fast as if your trying to drive out of a hole your stuck in. It detects different wheel speeds and will limit drive power
    to the wheels.

This is done so the electric motor does not over rev and damage the transmission. The usual way to get through snow in a regular car is just punish the car and drive real hard and power through the snow and if you get stuck you would just floor it in hopes of powering out of the hole. In a Prius it will not allow you to do that to protect the electric motors.

There is one poster recently who discovered a way to shut TC off through a series of dashboard button pushes. Not recommended as it allows maximum revving and power through the trans. Very bad.

As mentioned best technique is to approach the hill as fast as you can and hope momentum and good technique gets you up and over. Drive like hell!!! :p Also many posters on here say there Prius does very well in the snow with a set of high quality snow tires. You don't have a chance without snow tires.

Btw, please post in your signature what state you live in in case you post again with a different title. I'm originally from Vermont.

FreydNot likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think you're on the right track. Or just take that first day off, it can be crazy 'till the plows get in, and lay some sand down as well.

7. Tammyvoje

Tammyvoje Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

8. Tammyvoje

Tammyvoje Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We'll my headline states snow coming to mn.
    I'm in mn

9. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Let us know how it works out. Bring a cell phone with you to call for help if all else fails.

Maybe good snow tires or chains can help but what do I know I live in So Cal no snow here. :)

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    13 Winters in MN driving a Prius. This was a memorable drive from last year...
    [​IMG]

The key is simply taking it slow, just like you should with any vehicle. That combined with good all-season tires or snows, you'll be fine. Slow is especially nice with a Prius, since MPG rise from lower speeds.

Climbing my local hill out of the valley where I live hasn't ever really much of a problem. We really only get the challenging snow (that wet & heavy stuff) in early Spring. By then, you'll have a feel for how hard to push the pedal.

Tammyvoje likes this.
  11. Tammyvoje

Tammyvoje Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is a nice decline. I work 4 -10 hour days and will send a pix. We're moving to a storm watch now. I might take a different car just to save my sanity. :) my husband is trucking to Minneapolis right now and no one home to call.

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes I know that. But if you post again on here and not mention where you live no one will know.
    It cuts down on the questions.
    Whats so hard about filling in where you live? No new posters do that.

13. Tammyvoje

Tammyvoje Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe privacy concerns is why no one post there exact location. Mn is good enough. :)

14. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just said screw it, moved to Los Angeles.
    It's going to be sunny and 78° tomorrow!
    :)

15. Todd Q

Todd Q Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I live an hour south of Minneapolis and own a 2008 Prius myself. I LOVE this little "tractor". I am the 2nd owner of this car and this is my 5th winter with it. The traction control takes a little to get used to. The only issue I have had with it is my short driveway up to our gravel road. If we get more than 4 inches I have a hard time getting up that little slope unless I plow it. I have had issues with every two wheel drive car I've owned on this same hill. On roads with up to 10 inches of snow I absolutely love the Prius. Just use your trained Minnesota cool, momentum, slow and steady, you've learned while driving on snow and u'll be fine. I have Michelin X Radials from Sams club which are an all weather tire that i'm on my 2nd set. The Prius is a pleasure to drive and seems to be weighted extremely well to keep the car in a straight line on slick roads. The battery weight under the passenger seat may have something to help with that. If you do get "stuck" the Prius traction control limits the ability to "rock" your car out, but once I am actually out of my troublesome sloped driveway I have never gotten my Prius tractor "stuck" to need to "rock" it out. Remember, slow and steady wins the race.

Tammyvoje likes this.
  16. Tammyvoje

Tammyvoje Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are a true mn driver my friend!

17. Tammyvoje

Tammyvoje Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

18. Tammyvoje

Tammyvoje Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm married to a farmer and can't move ( not yet anyway). Lol. 78 Mn lake time.

19. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had misunderstood the hill thing. If you're talking about descending a steep hill, the Prius is as good as any for that, with its ABS and stability control.