1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snow/ice built up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ScottY, Dec 9, 2005.

1. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Having our first snow/ice/rain storm here this morning in the tri-state area. Have to say the Prius w/ Goodyear Comfortred handles pretty nice. The traction control kicks in only once during my 50 mile commute.

I noticed scraping noise after couple of miles of driving when going over bumps. When I got to work, I saw snow/ice built up between my tires and the mudflaps. I clean them off before they get ice solid.

Just want to let others know about this so they can clean the built up before they freeze up.

Do other ppl with mudflaps experience this too?

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's a common problem with all cars with mud flaps. Even happened on my Blazer in extreme situations.

There was a travelog posted long ago where someone took a Prius up the Trans Alaska highway through Canada two winters ago, and they had close ups of the completely iced in wheel-wells, to the point that they couldn't turn the front wheels.

The problem was they didn't find the wheels wouldn't turn until they tried after a long straight run on freezing slush :)

But, it's not unique to the Prius.