1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snow tire recommendations

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by kbar, Aug 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kbar

kbar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What is the general recommendation for winter tires? Is swapping tires on the same rims a bad idea? I'm thinking of getting another set of rims, but then I have to buy 4 additional TPMS. Do the universal (re-programmable) TPMS work with the Toyota system to avoid having to sync the different set of TPMS?

Any other winter suggestions?

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Swapping tyres on same rims puts undue wear on tyre beads, and also means they have to be re-balanced every time they're swapped. "All Season" tyres are a compromise, think: "jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none". I never like to skimp on tyres, since when it comes down to it, they're all there is between me and the road :eek: !!!

RCO likes this.
  3. shadow4478

shadow4478 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so what tires do you use, any special rims needed?

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought 4 steel rims (15") on-line from TireRack for ~$52 ea. inc shipping), and took advantage of a "Buy 3 get 1 FREE!" tyre deal from local Toyota dealer. I chose 15" rims since that would allow me the greatest choice of the many snow-tyres available. Again, I went on-line, and read lots of reviews, particularly from TireRack, and ended up choosing Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80s, although there are many others which others have recommended, Cooper, Michelin X-ICE, Continental Winter SI to name but 3. Research as much as you can, and don't wait until the start of winter, as you will find all the good deals will be offered and snapped up quickly. There is lots of useful information on PriusChat! Good luck, and welcome again to PriusChat! - Wil

PS: to the OP, I didn't bother with the expense of fitting TPMS on the steelies, since they're only on between November and April, and my birthday being in June is when the car's inspection is due (NH quirk) and all the OEM safety equipment has to function for the vehicle to pass inspection). Between November and April I ignore the NagLight (I'm not too worried since I regularly check all tyre-pressures (inc. spare! :rolleyes:) Although I've noticed that when my car is in the garage where the summer-wheels are stored, or parked within a couple of hundred yards from the garage, the car is able to "see" the TPMS sensors and the light goes out, although it comes back on about 20 mins later when I've driven out of range!

PPS: before I bought the steelies, someone suggested I looked around for a used set of Prius 15"rims (local junkyard or on-line?) but those I found averaged ~$100/rim :eek::eek::eek: - so, being really cheap, I went with the brandy-spanking new steelies! ;)

#4 WilDavis, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you? Check if your State will in fact fail you for a tpms light. Some have an annual inspection and will, but by no means all. Also see my posting here:

Winter tires and rims | PriusChat

#5 Mendel Leisk, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    RCO and WilDavis like this.