1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

snow tires vs mpg

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by bass laker, Mar 5, 2012.

1. bass laker

bass laker New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2011 Prius, and have gone thru my first winter. Last Nov. when I put on my snow tires, I noticed my gas mileage went from 51+ to around 45. I read on here that that was normal because of getting the engine heated, the enterior heater, winter gas formula, etc. I just switched from my 4 Nokia winter tires back to my original tires, and the mileage immediately jumped back to 50+. It is still relatively cold here ( northern MN. -8 this morning). Can winter tires alone cause that much of a difference? Maybe the "knobby" winter tires with soft rubber just don't roll that easily? Anyone else notice this?

2. brewcrew9

brewcrew9 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    While I am sure you lost some to the winter tires, you probably lost as much to the winter alone.

We live in Madison , WI and both of our 2011 Prius cars went from 51 summer average to 45-47 winter average. It's funny because when it was really cold we just got 45MPG, however the last weeks that mainly stayed in the 30's we have been averaging 47 to 47.5 MPG. Oh, we also kept our factory tires on all winter. Hope this helps.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Snow tires can easily cause that much of a drop.

Tom

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Plus gas is reformulated in winter (to prevent freezing?), and this reportedly drops mileage.

5. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You REALLY think Winter is over up here :) -- j/k.
    March IS our "snowiest" month, ya' know :smow:

CalgarypriusV likes this.
  6. bass laker

bass laker New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I suppose you're wondering why I took the winter tires off so early with a very snowy month still to come. The reason is I'm very close to trading the Prius I have for a Prius V. I have a cabin I go to a lot during the summer, and I could use the extra room in the "v" for hauling. I'm worried about the "v" dropping into the 30's during the winter, when I'm so use to getting in the 40's and 50's.

7. CalgaryPriusv

CalgaryPriusv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Up here in Alberta I've been getting what I calculate to be about 42.6 miles per gallon with snow tires on my new v. My daily drive is a combination of city and highway driving. I expect that when temperatures get back above freezing and I put my low friction tires on, the mileage will increase considerably.