1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snow traction

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by nicoj36, Dec 28, 2021.

1. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We are originally from Northern Maine and have never heard of any law about studded snow tires. (But it is a good idea, IMHO....Maine winters are wicked brutal!) None of our family still living there have studs on their winter tires.

tvpierce likes this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only part that is Maine law is that studded tires must be taken off by May 1, and cannot be put back on before October 1. From what I'm finding, studded tires are never required.

https://legislature.maine.gov/statutes/29-A/title29-Asec1919.html

ColoradoBoo and Johnny Cakes like this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since the upgrade just east of the summit a few years ago, shutdowns for avalanches and their control have been reduced considerably. Instead of flowing over the westbound snowshed onto the eastbound lanes and creating considerable work for the loaders to clear out, now they just run beneath the highway. Some trouble spots still need occasional avalanche control work on the west side of the summit.

The bulk of the shutdowns now are for clearing "spinouts and collisions" caused by driver misbehavior. Many drivers ignore the posted tire and chain requirements, and some get in trouble. When too many do it at once, WSDOT must close the road for safety during clearing operations. The unchained and jackknifed commercial trucks cause the greatest obstruction.

When I wrote that post, the eastbound road actually improved considerably at North Bend -- that is where the plowing and grooming began. Before that point it was unplowed and nasty, likely related to the short staffed road crews. I'll get to revisit this tomorrow, if I can get there before the massive snow dump arrives and causes an even worse situation than what caused yesterday's long closure. If not, I can consider detouring to US2, or go visit a friend until one of the passes reopens. US2 has advantages of being higher and drier (as in snow temperatures and densities, not precipitation totals), and being 'scary' enough to have a significantly lower fraction of ill-equipped winter neophytes. So it frequently remains open when I-90 closes. It is more likely to close for true avalanche work.

#43 fuzzy1, Jan 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They're saying 4~8 inches possible, overnight, starting tonight.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here, I'm seeing back-to-back storm totals in feet, not inches. As in Stevens Pass had a foot overnight, is expecting 2-3 feet today and tonight, and another tall foot tomorrow. Similar for Snoqualmie, except that its lower elevation will turn a portion of it into rain.

After considerable delay from very poor road conditions earlier in the trip, I did get across the summit early evening yesterday just fifteen minutes after noticing that the traction tire posting was upgraded to chains required (all vehicles except AWD, which I had). These was very little moving traffic on the top 15 miles, and none for half of it, as if I had the whole road to myself. This greatly reduces driver stress. But the several chain-up sidings were packed, so I must have just been lucky to get in between traffic waves.

Much later than I was guessing, all the passes closed sometime around midnight. Initially they were expected to remain closed until at least Saturday, but now some might possibly open Friday. It is too hazardous for crews to even be up there to evaluate conditions until the storms subside, but some of the last pictures before crews left show fallen trees and significant drifting on the highways.

Spouse was very happy that I made it home last night. The alternate plan was for me to stay with a woman friend on the other side until something reopens, possibly causing a bit of home tension, especially if it lasts until the weekend. Even I-84 in Oregon along the Columbia River closed.

The car was decently stocked with food and water in case closures forced overnight car camping. Other winter supplies and clothing were well covered by the work nature of the trip.

#45 fuzzy1, Jan 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We are getting even more isolated. I-5 to the south is now closed for flooding, with the alternates also closed or under flood watch. 101 south to Astoria is down to just a single lane, needing to be shared by both directions, in at least one location, and I'm not certain we could even get there.

Up north through Canada, from Hope, it looks like Route 1 is still closed for flood repairs, 5 is repaired well enough for some commercial traffic but closed to passenger vehicles, 3 is closed for avalanche hazard from this same storm closing our passes. But it looks like other closures along the Frazer River may not allow us to get to even get to Hope. At least I'm not seeing any closures on the road to and beyond Whistler.

A relative took the train east (tunneling under the passes) several days ago, due to lack of open flight seats plus massive cancellation headaches at SeaTac. But yesterday's train was cancelled too.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Stay where you are; watch a movie:

fuzzy1 likes this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The closed ski resorts have not been reporting, maybe due to lack of staff or electricity. Crystal Mountain opened today and reported 26" in 24 hrs. Leavenworth, my alternate destination if roads closed early, reported 36" in 24hrs, and pockets reaching 48" in under 48 hrs.

All pass openings pushed back to likely Sunday. At least I-5 and I-84 re-opened.
    Good idea, but I'll pick something else less dystopian or violent.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some folks seem to think they can drive through any snow. Until they can't:

upload_2022-1-8_13-49-17.png

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Snoqualmie Pass stayed closed 89.5 hours before reopening, though had a brief closure this morning for jackknifed trucks. Blewett reopened about the same time. Stevens is still closed after over 150 hours, with (un-updated) estimates of opening later today.

White Pass briefly reopened after the 100 hour mark, only to re-close just 2.5 hours later due to additional avalanches, unstable slopes, and a giant boulder threatening to slide down one of the avalanche chutes. It remains closed today with no estimated reopening. A boulder falling onto Highway 14 along the Columbia River, the only available alternate cross-state route at that time, killed a driver on Friday:
    https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/2022/01/portland-driver-dies-after-falling-boulder-strikes-car-washington-troopers-say.html