1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snowboard rack?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ScottY, Jan 10, 2007.

1. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm thinking about getting a roof rack to carry mine and my friend's snowboards. I saw darelldd's site about his racks, http://www.evnut.com/prius_racks.htm and http://www.evnut.com/prius_rack_pads.htm. I would hate to drill into the roof tho. Looks like clip on is the way to go for me.

Any snowboarders/skiers out there that have additional suggestions?

TIA!

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Scott,

I bought this snowboard carrying bag and then just put it in the car. I had to fold a seat down but the interior didn't get dirty etc...

Will you have more than 2 passengers? For me, sacraficing a rear seat is a good trade off for not increasing air drag.

Which mountain are you going to? Poconos or somewhere close like Hunter Mt?

Dennis

3. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey Dennis,

Thanks for the link. I went to Mt. Snow in Vermont (or should I say Mt. NO Snow?) during first week of January with 2 passengers and fold down rear seat. It worked out great.

In the future, I think there will be more passengers (gotta bring some ladies you know ;) ). So folding down the rear seat won't be an option.

I'm thinking of heading to Killington or worse case, somewhere upstate NY end of this month.

ps, r we going to see u this coming meeting? You were MIA for couple of months.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yea, I'll be there. My girl will not be able to make it.

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've got the Saris racks for my car (unfortunately they don't make them anymore :(), and recently got the Big Powerderhound from Yakima to hold the skis... but with the warm weather we were having back in the beginning of December, and my trip abroad for 3 weeks i haven't had a chance to use it yet... Overall it looks like a good system, you just have to remember to have something (like a trash bag) to wrap the bindings in to keep the road salt off of them.

I tend to keep the racks off the car except when i'm using them (or if i know i'll be using them in the next few days), which helps cut down on drag during normal driving.

6. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok, find some websites that sell the Yakima and Thule racks.

The Yakima base rack cost $320 and Thule cost $350. They are having a special on Inno ski/snowboard carrier for $100.

From darelldd's site, he mentioned that the Yakima is hard to install with one person and easy to scratch the car. Anybody had experience with the Thule racks?