1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So, 29 days since taking delivery, I discover they "cannot extend vehicle financing at this time"??

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by lensovet, Oct 29, 2012.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I imagine because he is not the underwriter.

2. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sage, duly noted

3. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    it just baffles my mind how nonexistent the communication within this dealership is. 7 days to send a letter, finance guy and sales guy have no idea that financing fell through, no one calling me and raising hell about the fact that the car isn't really mine, and CA DMV about to start processing the registration for a vehicle that might not even be in my possession in a week.
    seriously?

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ this is a side-track, but at 9pm you probably have little else you can do to help your cause until the morning so I'll ponder along with you for a moment.

Dealerships are independent businesses. To them TFS is more like a friendly and well used bank down the street than the close business partner you might imagine. It is not by chance that it is just as easy to purchase a car with a loan from TFS as it is a loan from any other credit institution. While true that the dealership is potentially losing money every day you have the car and end up returning it, that is not TFS's problem. TFS has decided not to lend you money, and at this point they have turned their attention elsewhere.

Also keep in mind that financing falling through, while not unheard of, is pretty unusual. I'm not surprised to hear that the bureaucratic wheels are a bit rusty.

Try not to take any of this personally. A bit of perserverance, dealer arm-twisting, and timely loan shopping will likely let you keep the car

[email protected] likes this.
  5. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer wants to keep you as a customer, so they are hesitant to call you without a solution in hand. To get the best deal possible for yourself you want to call them with a solution in hand. Knocking another $1700 off is probably the easiest thing for the dealer to do if you have everything else already arranged.

Have you already applied for the CA $1500 rebate? You might be able to assign the rebate to the CU to knock down the loan amount as well. The CU might also take into consideration the $2500 federal tax credit and give you 0% on that portion of the loan if you have to wait for a tax refund.

[email protected] and SageBrush like this.
  6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder who is on the hook for the T&L fees if the car ends up being returned.

7. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Since these guys were taking forever to submit the registration paperwork, I only applied today (the rebate requires you to have some sort of temporary registration or whatever, which I didn't have since I bought the car out of state). People are saying it's taking them 50-60 days to get those checks, so it seems doubtful that this would be of much help.
    I'm attempting to sell my old 2003 Prius for $6500. If that comes through, that would be wonderful.
    The other thing is that I'm still not clear whether anyone actually asked TFS. the "regular" TFS said they have absolutely no records of me in their system. SE TF, which I still don't understand why they service the NW region, is closed, so I'll find out tomorrow. The paper they sent me specifically does not have EITHER box checked on whether they submitted my application to the bank!

8. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the DMV is currently in possession of a check for the fees as of this afternoon. Will they stop payment on that check? CA DMV doesn't ever issue out refunds for reg fees.
    These guys currently have 13 PiPs on the lot: 8 Base and 5 Advanced. I can't imagine why they would ever want this car back.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Good luck selling your G1 Prius; a down payment would surely look good to any new lender.

It is possible that an admin mistake nixed the loan. Sounds like it is worth a question or two.

10. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I'd hate for this to fall through. The whole reason why I jumped on this car was because the total financed amount was $28,703 before taxes, which ends up being under $25k after all government rebates and with 0% financing. Without the $2k TFS rebate and 0% financing, I wouldn't have bothered getting the car.

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No help here, just a TFS data point: When I traded in my 2010, TFS sent me the clear and open title instead of the dealership. Yeah, major error there!

lensovet likes this.
  12. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There's really only two outcomes to this scenario: Dealer takes back car or you work out some other finance arrangement.

I think we can all agree it is very unlikely the dealer would take back the car. The dealer would be taking a huge loss on the PiP. They can bill you for it but why go through the trouble? You have a good credit score above 700. They can easily source financing elsewhere.

When my cousin purchased a 2008 Accord, the dealer called him back after 14 days concerning his financing. My cousin was furious so I went down to the dealership with him to "back him up" as it were. Turns out the dealer was able to procure a lower interest rate but he needed one more loan to add to the bundle to get everyone approved. I don't know if that is true or not or what it means at all. But the point is, my cousin got a lower interest rate and the dealer had no trouble or extra costs to him to resubmit all the documentation.

If I were you, I'd stand my ground to pay exactly as written on the original contract. Worst case scenario is you pay a few hundred dollars in interest or fees.

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Lensovet may want to invest the $35 or so it costs to get a real credit score from e.g Experian. Even better would be to buy the same credit score TFS uses. If he really does have good credit it adds credence to the idea that this is just an admin snafu.

14. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer is required by law to show me the score they use. The paper I received has the 701 score on it.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OK. Did you ask the dealer what range of scores qualify for a loan ?
    I don't mean to pry, but if the question is whether a valid reason to deny you a loan exists, you should also consider whether the lender might question whether you have enough discretionary income to afford the monthly payment.

16. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    HMMM I think I know what happened here.
    In one of my earlier posts I mentioned that they initially had me sign a contract with the wrong bank. I suspect that this "decline" is the result of their canceling that contract.
    Why? Because I just went through my papers again and noticed that I have a letter dated 10/01/12 that says "This is to notify you that Toyota Motor Credit Corporatio has purchased the retail installment contract dated 09/30/12 from Lithia Toyota Scion of Spring as the Lien Holder of your 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in". This letter btw also came really late, like 10 days later.
    Thoughts?

17. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the income thing could be a problem. do not know. At this point I think I'm content with not rocking the boat and waiting to see what happens :)
    Anyway, off to call DMV to see if they've assigned me plates yet

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Well, if you think one payment puts you (in TFS' eyes) in a borderline category, two PiPs would surely be too much :)

I take it the dealer has yet to contact you ? Did the TFS letter instruct you to contact the dealer, or give any instructions what to do with the car ?

19. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer hasn't contacted me. Also, the letter came from the DEALER, not TFS. And it had absolutely zero instructions about anything. Only that if I want to find out why I was denied, I have 60 days to ask them in writing.

20. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I mean, seriously, from that letter, one gets the impression that if I don't give a rat's nice person about why they couldn't find financing, I can just go on driving my car like nothing happened!