1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So, A Prius Is Slow?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Maine Pilot, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Maine Pilot

Maine Pilot Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    III
    In today's Boston Globe, (3/6/16), is an article about a car--a Prius, that ran down an embankment and ended up in Boston Harbor, which also contained a body, yesterday.

Rather than printing out the entire article here, I'm just enclosing the last part of it in which a witness was quoted:

"It really is a head-scratcher how that car got there, because there’s not much runway,” said Ciano, who lives in Dorchester and frequently jogs along the Harborwalk.

“You have this little loop that goes around the campus center here, where you could potentially get some speed if you wanted to, but it’s a Prius.”

2. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    American culture is limited in some ways of thinking, ignore it. Same reason why i refuse to watch their movies. It's all about size and power, intelligence or anything else is sign of weakness apparently. *edited. Keep your political views/opinions out of the open forums, that's for the political forum*

#2 arescec, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2016
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In terms of top speed, both the Gen 3 and Gen 4 are limited to 112 MPH.

I would think that acceleration would be more relevant, however. (Or maybe they did not expect it to float?)

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Admittedly, I've never really owned a vehicle that's hallmark was exceptional speed.
    But I've owned many 4 cylinder vehicles, and IMO The Prius seems perfectly comparable. In fact in terms of cruising power/speed, the addition of the electric motor seems to give The Prius the feeling of more power.

As an vehicle owner/operator? My approach has always been how much speed do you need? I actually LOVE driving fast, but it is dangerous, the USA does NOT have an Autobahn, and all it really leads to is risk of speeding tickets.

But to me? The Prius has plenty of power and meets all the "sane" speed capabilities I would ever call upon.

I can very much relate to the allure of owning a legitimate sports car. IF The US had it's equivalent of an Autobahn? I'd probably want one JUST for that application. BUT...as it is, in the majority of driving scenarios, a vehicle that runs on battery power at low speeds becomes much more valuable and applicable to the driving reality, than a vehicle that can go 0-50 in 4 seconds.

5. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Just to bust a myth, autobahn isn't actually THAT glorious. It's pretty bumpy actually in some parts due to concrete foundation. And nobody buys vehicles (except for rich) just because of it - normal driving speed usually isn't much over 130 - and sometimes you get to drive 20-30kph due to congestion.

6. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I've "disappointingly" heard.

But when you say "Normal Driving Speed isn't much over 130"....my reaction is still....I'm In!

Since uniformally in the USA, if you drive anywhere NEAR 130...you're likely to end up with an entourage of police vehicles following you, perhaps a helicopter, and you'll make the evening news.....in a bad way.

But I have heard that the reality of the Autobahn isn't as great as my imagination of what one would be like.

7. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    130 kph is 78 mph which will get you tailgated in the left lane where I live. I haven't driven on the autobahn but I've traveled through it and it really isn't much different than what we see here except it is more orderly in terms of left lane passing only. The areas where you can really open up are few and far between. It's really quite ordinary to what we see in the U.S. except the occasional Volkswagen will be rocketing through the left lane at higher speeds.

Anyway, Prius is slow compared to the competition. Very few cars sold today in the U.S. has slower acceleration. I don't see why we have to keep adding that it is plenty fast enough. Why does it matter if the Prius is slow or not? I have no issue with calling the Prius slow. I prefer it that way for better fuel economy.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    130 kph is 81 mph. I drove past numerous 80 mph speed limit signs in Montana a few weeks ago, and have heard of several other places with posted limits of 80 or 85.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope we didn't lose a member...

10. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well now I'm even more disappointed.

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    No airplanes here.

Lots of cars reach 100 mph. Few, 150, very few exceed 200, the supercar stratosphere. No doubt owners get happy feelings from buying that capability, but how could it be used?

A serious car racer told me he would never exceed 100 in any car without carefully examining tires. Off the rims, inside and out. I found that meaningful.

It is no big deal to deliver enough kilowatts to the wheels, and make body aero such that you don't fly (poorly). But, if you want to bet your life on tires you have not inspected, or assume there is no troublesome debris on the road ahead (you won't see it in time), well that is a notable thing. Reveals your sense of self-worth.

Driving really fast with some safety takes you to tracks where they go round and round. Will leave it to y'all to present reasons to go nowhere, in circles, really fast.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder how two different conversions ended up differing by as much as 3 mph.

I guess km are pretty standard but there are a few different miles in the world ... but checking with international miles, with U.S. survey miles, and with British Imperial (1824) miles, they all come out around 80.778 and only get different in the 4th decimal place. (I'm surprised, I sort of thought the different units would be more different than that.)

In knots, it's about 70.2.

Was there some calculator or conversion table that gave the 78 result?

-Chap

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^ I'm guessing that someone used a rounded estimate of 1 km = 0.6 mile. But for decades, I've had the exact conversion ratio (1.609344) memorized.

CR94 likes this.
  14. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's what I did.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  15. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wasn't there someone on this board a few years ago who rolled the Prius his parents had bought him? It was on a freeway exit, and he took the corner far too fast.

You can crash any car, and you can always take a corner too fast, no matter how slow the car might be.

That said, I always found that the Prius was very fast away from the lights.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're right. the guy quoted in the article was just being facetious.

17. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a very distant memory...

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    like all of mine.:p

19. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All of your what? I've forgotten what we were talking about.

bisco likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    who are you again?:confused: