1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So annoyed!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by nudriver, Oct 11, 2012.

1. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OceanEyes and WE0H like this.
  3. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What's a "non-creased dent"? What exactly does the film do and how much might it cost? How much for the dent repair?

OceanEyes likes this.
  4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Non-creased meaning the metal doesn't have any sharp bends with broken paint. An example would be smack it with a screwdriver. Even then, those paintless guys can take out some nasty dents as long as the paint is not broken or pulled up from the sheetmetal. As far as 3 M costs, it varies wildly across the country. You being out in SOCAL will help you find lower cost installs. Lots of shops out there compared to up here. Around here typical paintless dent repair costs a hundred for the first one and lots less when you have more than one to do as they are already out there and ready to go. You might find lower costs in your area. A lot of times it is best to collect dings then take it in once a year for a undenting :) You can buy the glue stick style puller tools and go for it yourself, but that is kind of daring on such an expensive car. It all depends upon where you park and how many dings you collect in a year.

Mike

5. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Newbie question here - I had the Simoniz glass coat done (it was recommended by my brother who purchased his 2012 Tacoma)... so how does this 3M film work - did you do it yourself? How long does it last before needing to be replaced? One rock ding was enough to get me thinking!

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Warranty for Consumers

Q.
    What is the Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film warranty?

A.
    3M warrants that Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film will be free of defects in materials and manufacture — including yellowing, bubbling, or cracking — or five (5) years from date of purchase. This warranty does not apply to damage caused by misuse, accident, misapplication, or ordinary wear, nor does it apply to dents caused by physical impact of rocks or road debris.
    The complete warranty statement, including "Remedies and Limitations," is available on the Warranty Card, available from a Certified Installer.

Q.
    Is the Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film Warranty valid if an installation is done at a dealership?

A.
    Yes, the Scotchgard film warranty is valid if the installation is completed by a 3M Certified Installer.​

Q.
    What is a Certified Installer?

A.
    3M Certified Installers have been professionally trained at an Authorized 3M Training Center. They have passed the required written and installation tests. Only after doing so are they listed on the 3M™ Scotchgard Paint Protection Film website on the "where to buy" for consumers.​

Q.
    As a consumer, if I install Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film, does it void the warranty?

A.
    3M provides a warranty on the materials, not the installation. The Scotchgard film warranty is only valid if installed by a certified installer.​

Q.
    How do I make a warranty claim?

A.
    You must have your Scotchgard film warranty card to validate your warranty. Contact the Certified Installer listed on your warranty card to have your Scotchgard film inspected. If the Certified Installer says that your claim is covered by this warranty, 3M will have the installer remove the old film and reapply new Scotchgard film.
    The complete warranty statement, including "Remedies and Limitations," is available on the Warranty Card, available from a Certified Installer.

Q.
    What if I cannot reach my original Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film Certified Installer?

A.
    Contact 3M at 1-800-643-0955. 3M will direct you to a Certified Installer selected by 3M to have your Scotchgard film inspected and, if your claim is covered by this warranty, 3M will have the installer remove the old film and reapply new Scotchgard film.​

Mike

7. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking of getting this, but I've seen too many cars here in Florida where these films have cracked, are discolored, and just look awful. Some I've seen with the film peeling off the hood and I thought better against it.

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was it 3M film or sumthin else? 3M has a 5 year warranty against yellowing and so forth. There are a lot of other brand films just like window tint. You see good tint and you see garbage tint. Same with clear film. Good stuff and garbage.

Mike

9. Blu-ray

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The one person I talked to who is a co-worker had it installed by the dealership. So I'm not sure. It was a Lexus so I'm thinking the same film as the Toyota Dealers would use?

10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea don't know. I do remember my dealer telling me I had options on material when I had my car wrapped. I chose 3M material. Down in your neck of the woods there would be tons of installers and more types, manufacturers, and what have you options to go with.

Mike

11. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe the heat down south? Mine was on for 7 years looked like new, zero yellow, nothing letting loose, no crackes, just like the day they put it on.

12. Blu-ray

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Florida sun is really really harsh on everything. We get our cars hand waxed every 3 months and I use Maguire's detail spray every so often in between in the hopes to keeping everything looking as good as possible. But yeah, that's why I am hesitant about the film because the sun eats everything up. It could also be something with whether the car is garaged or not.

13. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Very true on all counts and yes my car is garaged, which really helps!

WE0H likes this.