1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So, Are we Still in Love?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Prime Example, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Full throttle is exactly the same in all driving modes. It's just pedal mapping, nothing more.

upload_2017-11-8_17-38-59.png
    Then full-throttle is irrelevant to you.

The Prime is at least as fast in Hv as any previous Prius. It's 2 seconds faster to 60 at high altitude than my 2004 was.

The new "eco mode" is the same as the old "normal mode" and the new "normal mode" mapping is the same as the old "power mode". The new "power mode" is just really touchy. But, as I said and as the graph shows, they are all the same at full throttle.

Eco also affects HVAC (putting it into eco mode by default) and it shuts of the engine more aggressively but otherwise all the modes are the same other than pedal mapping.

crimsontime likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i drive like a turtle and am still in love. with my pip.:love:

bwilson4web and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  3. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I still love my Prime, had my 15k service today. I "just drive" it nowadays vs paying attention to and playing with all the features. Super happy with EV range and mpg, happy with the cargo space, love the safety features, esp DRCC ... the popups of the DRCC are annoying still but i tend to ignore them more than i used too, i don't use built-in nav, and i don't use Entune, my "entertainment setup" works the same it did 5 years ago in my Gen3, iPhone via Bluetooth, playing music or streaming - that's the one area i think Toyota needs to step up and offer car play and android car. overall, very happy

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  4. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How much gas did it take to fill your tank? It has a 11.3 gal. gas tank.

5. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Man, that must be exciting driving that fast, while I, being a mere Crippled Snail, would jealously watch you zip by, Mr. Turtle Loafer! I too love my plug-in!

bisco and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your snail is heavier so it takes more effort to move. :D

7. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ah mon ami, that is why I keep asking Maman Toyota to give me a much smaller, and lighter body, with her new solid state battery so that I can become, (trumpets please!!), SUPER SNAIL!!

pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    upload_2017-11-9_9-56-58.jpeg

HPrimeAdvanced and pilotgrrl like this.
  9. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    SHORT ANSWER: Yes I am (still in love)....

Almost three months in with our Prime... 2300 miles... roughly 50/50 local EV driving and five or six out-of-town trips of about 100 to 600 (round trip) miles. Most recently, to-and-from Grissom ARB (north of Kokomo)... almost exactly 120 miles... probably 20 miles of that in EV mode... "PIPPPIN" thinks he averaged about 65 mpg. Over 750 miles on this tank... a bit more than 3/8 of a tank remaining... I *might* get gas (for the fourth time) toward the end of this week, as another 120-ish mile trip (to and from Indy) will be made on Tuesday.

STILL trying to figure out LOTS of the features, but hey... I'm a slow learner! I find the acceleration to be WAY more than adequate... EV miles driven are a HUGE plus for any-and-all local errands (no daily commute)... and IF running in HV around town (I did a few "tests" totaling about 40 miles about six weeks ago), the darn thing thinks it averages about 70mpg....

There MIGHT come a time when we'll "miss" that fifth seat and the larger cargo area our '08 had, but that day has not arrived yet.

Auto-High Beams... only came into play twice so far... LOVE 'EM!

DRCC... Love that feature even more than the auto-high beams!!!

SEATS... PLENTY comfortable... PLENTY of room (for us)... and we might even have a chance / desire / need to check out the heated seats before much more time goes by....

HPrimeAdvanced, pilotgrrl and Mark57 like this.
  10. SandraD

SandraD New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I purchased my 2017 Prime Advanced in June 2017. It had some issues with defects early in our relationship which made the honeymoon a little rocky (failed air conditioning compressor, windshield washers, etc. - dealer difficulty sourcing parts) but we worked through it. I was getting around 30 miles per charge and about 56 mpg driving without charging in the Summer and Fall. The Prime is comfortable, sporty looking and fun to drive. When the outside temperature dropped below 40 degrees, I noted that my miles per charge dropped, as did my off-charge mpg. When the temperatures hover around freezing or below, I've gotten as few as 13 miles on a full charge and on a 600 mile road trip to Ohio in December (with no real opportunity to charge the car), I got 44 mpg. I was disappointed by this performance and asked the dealer about it. They said if the car wasn't presenting any error codes, it was fine. (I drove a 2005 Prius for 12 years and never got less than 45 mpg unless I had a bicycle carrier on the back.) So, are we still in love? I'd say that I am adjusting my expectations (married to the Prime now, divorce option too expensive) and we are settling into our relationship. Recently a low speed encounter with a small rock has resulted in a huge crack on the drivers side windshield. The dealer has quoted $1500 for replacement and re-calibration. Perhaps some counseling is in order...

#50 SandraD, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2018
    bisco, pilotgrrl and Data Daedalus like this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For you or the Prime? :ROFLMAO::whistle:

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had the same with our BMW i3 and it s*cks. The windshield includes the camera which 3x the repair cost.

Thanks to a suggestion in PriusChat, I’ve gone with a polymer coating that is both hydrophobic and air tight. Future rocks may start a crack but without air or water, they won’t grow as fast. Gives more time to schedule a replacement.

Bob Wilson

13. AnneLW

AnneLW Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    More in love now. At first I was a bit intimidated.

14. WDWBarb

WDWBarb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's only been a week and a half for me but my crush is turning into full-blown love quickly. This is my third Prius and I had been trying to talk myself OUT of the Prime. When I saw this gorgeous red beast, I knew it was meant to be.. The driving experience is almost zen-like. I find my commute to be very peachful.

There are very few things I don't love about this car. I feel like that I'm driving a car with some of the most advanced technology available, but I don't have an app to unlock the doors. I just think that's weird.

And driving in the snow the last few days on a treacherous interstate, I had to pull over 3x to clean the sensors so that my cruise control and lane departure systems would work (and I could get rid of the flashing warning on the dash. I think they should have put more thought into the placement of the sensors. Behind the Toyota logo, recessed into the front of the car, where it fills up quickly with snow, was just not a good idea.

But otherwise, I absolutely adore this car!

15. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What possible use would such a feature have?

Rodilyn likes this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unlocking the car so that your kid can get something out of the car without handing them the keys. (and then remotely locking it again). We all know the Prius' fob has stupidly short range so even if you can see the car, you can't lock/unlock it.

HPrimeAdvanced, Rodilyn and WDWBarb like this.
  17. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Still waiting for the very first time, in my life, that I've ever needed such a feature.

When my car is in the garage, it's unlocked. When I'm out, I'm with my kids.

The range on my FOB is about 200 feet, at least for remote AC.

HPrimeAdvanced and Mark57 like this.
  18. AnneLW

AnneLW Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I still don't understand why there are no rear wipers, though.

Amy In Wyoming and bisco like this.
  19. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Curved glass. There's no place to mount it so it would maintain contact through the whole arc.

20. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, there is, but it would be a different wiper design (dual arm) than most on cars.