1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So are we winning the hearts and minds of the Iraqis yet?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, May 29, 2006.

1. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ May 31 2006, 10:41 AM) [snapback]263367[/snapback]</div>
    Iraqi forces are just beginning to stand up. "We" made a mistake by not enlisting former Iraqi soldiers and started from scratch which elongates the time frame significantly. Their government is up and running for only a few weeks and still needs time to mature and develop lines of trust.

Our troop count has been constant - even though the number of non-Iraqi insurgents has increased over time reflecting the effectiveness of our combat strategy (one other strategy is allowing the Iraqi's themselves to feel more secure joining our side and not turning a blind eye on the terrorists). We have also limited the fight to a small region of Iraq - something that is not mentioned at all in the press. It will take time to train commanders in field techniques and combined forces before they can earn the trust of their enlisted men - give it time. Mistakes were and are being made - another problem was Turkey shutting down and not allowing us to invade from the north at the same time as from the south.

Yes we are building a huge infrastructure there. Two billion dollar plus bases for NSA/CIA are I believe complete or nearso. Iraq will prove to be a vital part in our battle on Terror which eminates from multiple sources in the middle east. It will allow us intimate access to all their networks whether electronic, air or ground based. It will allow us to separate Mosque from State and provide a role model for other middle east states to do the same hereby reducing the possibilities of Islamofacism from rearing its head in the future.

I see US forces providing more logistical and command and structure and air support in the next 12+ months as Iraqi forces are brought up to speed. I see an exit strategy as clearly as possible given the duration of this conflict and the multiple and myriad of external forces exerting influence on this equation - including Iran which recently transferred technology to the conflict in terms of gas enhanced IED's which we all see their increase lethality in terms of increased US casualties over the past month. The terrorists are aware that if they lose this battle, their war on the West will be much much more difficult to prosecute.

I agree with you re: American forces and the need to get them home. I honor your service to country.

3. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 31 2006, 09:57 AM) [snapback]263376[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with you. It will take time, but the American people are becoming disenfranchised with the war. Public support is waning. To most Americans, myself included, there just does not seem like any end in sight. I am a full supporter of Democracy and would love to see everyone in the World living in peace and harmony with no war. I would love for ALL women to have equal rights. No poverty, exploitation of children, etc...A Democratic country cannot continue to wage war without the support of it's citizens. The challlenge of the Bush Administration is to do this. I don't know if they can pull it off.

I know we've exchanged verbal darts on this forum, but I really do thank you for your comment about my service and others who've served in the military on this forum, to our country. Please don't assume we're un-patriotic and anti-American. We're not. We are all alike. We want America to succeed and do well. We sometimes just have different ideas on how to get there.

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ May 31 2006, 11:42 AM) [snapback]263401[/snapback]</div>
    My fear is that the Islamofascists read the same book the Ho read and expanded - that the only way to beat the United States in war is to win the fifth column battle. Bush et al are doing a piss poor job at explaining this conflict to us - a very important front that they are taking advantage of. I am also upset with our press and the natural knee jerk reflex of leftists to blame the US and Bush --- here I am doubly upset in when the leftists attack the war as a way to hammer President Bush (the Jihad Jack Murtha approach)

Democracy has spread from 0 in 1775 to nearly 2/3rds of the world today. The average number of global conflicts has decreased to fewer than 40 today from nearly 60 several decades ago - a clear reflection of the spread of democracy. The number of humans being killed in conflicts is also down globally - sounds gruesome but it is true. Whether or not you agree with the war, it is now a fact and pulling and running is NOT an acceptable option any reasonable person would accept.

I do not mean to exchange verbal darts with you - I truly am sorry for getting personal with you. And I truly honor your service to my/our country. My assumption is not that you are anti-America or un-patriotic. I can sense your love of country and beliefs in it might be different at times and points from mine and others. I would never question your dedication to the US to stand for it again if called - as I would and my three sons. We do want America to succeed and we want all to enjoy the liberties and freedoms we as Americans love and cherish.

5. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

I am a man of few words, dbermanmd is exactly correct in all his comments! Pay attention you guys! Great writer and clear thinker. Thanks

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 29 2006, 04:55 PM) [snapback]262439[/snapback]</div>
    Recently heard that terrorist insurgents where firing from within the buildings in which those innocent civilians were killed. I would offer caution to those America haters and US Armed Forces haters to wait for the fact to come out before you come to self serving conclusions.

What if it is revealed that insurgents where hiding behind women and children and firing at US Marines, it is the insurgents fault that those innocents were killed, not the Marines who were defending themselves - will you apologize -- or -- do you think the "fix" is in and the inquiry is already set to find the Marines innocent??.

In fact, if I were to come to a PREMATURE conclusion, I would posit that the terrorists who routinely hide behind the skirts of women and the wagons of children to use them as shields to attack US Forces were guilty here rather than American Marines who do as much as possible to limit civilian causulties. Too bad you come to the premature conclusion that Americans are guilty - speaks volumes about you.

7. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 31 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]263543[/snapback]</div>
    Question:
    How would you feel if you were sitting in your home with your wife and children and suddenly some soldiers from half way around the world kicked your door down, shouted something about terrorists and then killed your wife and children in front of you. Would you feel very postive about those soldiers? Would you be grateful for them coming all that way to help you out? That is the reality. Forget the abstractions. Would you like foreign soldiers kicking in your door, killing your family?

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 31 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]263551[/snapback]</div>
    No I would not want anyone killing my family - but again stick to the topic here - he accused US Marines of a war atrocity. In my book, I would wait for all the evidence to be presented before coming to any conclusion. But if I were to come to a PREMATURE conclusion, I would take the side of US Marines instead of terrorist insurgents with a history of hiding behind civilians -

Tell me, if you had to come to a PREMATURE conclusion in this situation, on whose side would we find you???????? I no i need not ask because given your postings and bias you would obviously side with the terrorists - very french canadian like - guilty until proven innocent as long as you are American.

9. jared2

jared2 New Member

"but again stick to the topic here"

The topic is are we winning the hearts and minds of the Iraqis. I believe the answer is no. The reason is that no people on earth want to have foreign soldiers invading their homes and killing their children. Did you read about the small children killed? Do you have children? I do, and I recognize evil when I see it.

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 31 2006, 04:02 PM) [snapback]263559[/snapback]</div>
    Again, you have NO basis except for the selective readings you choose to believe to form your opinion. Did you ever read or believe we are doing good there????

You want to talk about civilians being killed - HOW MANY DID SADDAM KILL? THOSE MASS GRAVES CONTAINING HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF IRAQI CIVILIANS WERE FILLED LONG BEFORE AMERICAN MARINES LANDED - NO? HOW MANY IRAQI CIVILIANS DID HE RAPE? HOW MANY DID SADDAM PUT THROUGH INTO PAPER SHREDDERS? HOW MANY IRAQI CIVILIANS DID HE GAS? YOU ARE SO OFF BASE HERE IT IS DISGUSTING.

Yes I have children, and my family moved from europe not because they wanted to - but because they were escaping from the same fate Iraqi civilians faced - they did not come to America simply because we have a better economy like some others here?? So do not lecture me about killing children - AMERICAN SOLDIERS DO NOT KILL INNOCENT CHILDREN INTENTIONALLY AND IN FACT GO OUT OF THEIR WAY, USUALLY EXPOSING THEMSELVES TO GREATER POTENTIAL HARM INCLUDING DEATH, TO PROTECT THEM.

DO YOU EVER SEE ALL THE PICTURES OF AMERICAN SOLDIERS PLAYING WITH IRAQI CHILDREN, HOW ABOUT IRAQI GIRLS IN SCHOOL - YOU DRIVE ME NUTS. WHY ARE YOU HERE IF YOU HATE US SO MUCH?

And no people want foreign soldiers in their homes - ask the British during WWII if they minded, or the people of KUWAIT, or the FRENCH in WWII - we do not make a policy of killing innocent civilians or children like you believe. I would say Jeezus, but that would offend you, so I don't.

You hide behind the freedoms others have sacrificed themselves for and fail to understand the reality of life and the world - understandable being from Canada.

11. jared2

jared2 New Member

Have you ever noticed that when people lose an argument they resort to

CAPITAL LETTERS LIKE THIS! BOY IT BURNS ME UP :D

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 31 2006, 04:17 PM) [snapback]263566[/snapback]</div>
    IN MY COUNTRY IT MEANS YOU ARE YELLING AT SOMEONE - LIKE TRYING TO GET THROUGH A THICK SKULL.

now in type that your country recognizes - my arguments are strong enough that you can not dismiss them with a few typed words that are tangential to the points i made. just go back to my prior post and answer the question at the bottom of it.

or

i can retype it for you... if you had to make a premature decision would you side with the American Marines or the terrorists in terms of guilt or innocence - i assumed, and by the lack of your response i assume it to be true, that you would side with the terrorists -- tell me if i am wrong if you want. in my country, if someone accuses you of siding with the ENEMY (note this is yelling at you) you would want to defend yourself from this accusation.

13. jared2

jared2 New Member

I hope this guy never leaves priuschat. He is really funny. Unless, of course, he is not a real person, but an NSA computer program spewing out right wing cliches. But no, there are too many typos for that. :)

14. Clar

Clar Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 31 2006, 08:08 AM) [snapback]263309[/snapback]</div>
    Are you sure?

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 31 2006, 04:25 PM) [snapback]263574[/snapback]</div>
    Answer my question please.

If you are looking for sympathy when you are siding with our enemy whether or not you are for or against the war you will not find many wingmen in this country - maybe in Canada you will but not here.

Now if you are man enough, answer my question instead of hiding behind senseless drivvel.

16. jared2

jared2 New Member

"senseless drivvel."

This is good. A spelling mistake and grammar mistake in just 2 words.

1. It is drivel (as I posted before, but you obviously don't bother to read)
    2. Senseless is redunctant when used with drivel. Instead of intensifying it, you weaken the phrase.

Anyway, for sure you are not an automated computer program, with this level of literacy. Keep posting. You are almost as funny as Family Guy.

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Your lack of response is damning.

18. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 31 2006, 04:38 PM) [snapback]263585[/snapback]</div>
    Since the content of your thought is not worth reponding to I prefer to respond to your style. It is more amusing. You may choose to take this as proof of the superiority of your so called "thought".

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thank you for constantly reminding all Americans that we face enemies foreign and domestic (maybe we can try to limit those domestic enemies?).

20. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 31 2006, 04:42 PM) [snapback]263592[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. Start at the top.