1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So are we winning the hearts and minds of the Iraqis yet?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, May 29, 2006.

1. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 31 2006, 12:36 PM) [snapback]263551[/snapback]</div>
    Of course not.

If it did happen to me, I would hope it was from a culture that cared enough to outlaw crimes against humanity, rather than celebrate them with demonstrations in the street. I would hope that the perps would be investigated, and tried for their crimes, not lionized and their families rewarded with payments from Saddam Hussein.

If it happened to me, I would hope that the news media in that culture would be shocked, and the people ashamed. If it happened to me, I would hope that it would be an aberration in that culture, rather than the norm.

There is a significant difference in the way the West treats these kinds of incidents and the way the Arab street handles them. Infidels' deaths are celebrated, while we morn the loss of the innocents.

Because we are America, this will be investigated. Because we are America, if there was wrong doing it will be punished. Because we are America, the families of the victims will be compensated. It won't bring back their loved ones, but its the least we can do when our sons and daughters cause harm.

But because we are America, we will investigate, and will not "sacrifice" innocent men to satisfy the political yearnings of those who hate us, foreign and domestic. Because we are America, the accused still have the benefit of a presumption of innocence.

Americans need to remember who we are, and wait for the facts to come in.

2. stevedegraw

stevedegraw Member

Mostly hot air here. Wait for the trial, innocent until proven guilty.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jun 1 2006, 01:16 AM) [snapback]263879[/snapback]</div>
    Notice how Jared2 did not answer my question pertaining to this - his silence on this is self-damning. He obviously sides with our enemies and uses this War on Terror to hammer away on his ideological foes - even when he must know it further endangers US servicepeople in harms way.

You could not have been any more accurate than you are with this post - again, we face enemies foreign which I can understand but those domestic based ones still get under my skin - especially when they live in my country and are not even citizens here.

4. jared2

jared2 New Member

"In America when a criminal hides amongst innocent people, we send the negotiaters & SWAT team to surgically remove the criminal with priority given to the lives of the innocent; in Iraq we kill everybody including the innocent.
    Even in war we must not lose our soul our compassion for if we do we are no better than the terrorists.

Nathan, Milwaukee "

[letter to BBC world news]

5. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Jun 1 2006, 12:56 PM) [snapback]264185[/snapback]</div>
    I think that's a pretty broad brush to be using, don't you? After three years with 125,000 troops there, we have one incident of innocents allegedly being killed. Abu Grhaib involved lesser crimes, with people who were prisoners (not excusable, but people are going to jail for that one), and some other "incidents" have proven to be more smoke than fire. We spend a lot of money developing weapons to take out the bad guys and minimize the "collateral damage" of innocent lives.

Nathan in Milwaukee would do well to consider the events in context, and also try to find the stats for innocents being killed when a perp puts them in a position to take a bullet from a SWAT team or during other police actions. And make no mistake, the person ultimately responsible for innocents being killed is the person using them as a shield.

6. electricity_guzzler

electricity_guzzler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ May 31 2006, 08:47 AM) [snapback]263326[/snapback]</div>

recommend!