1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So are you liking your solar sunroof and what temp effects are you seeing?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, Sep 9, 2009.

1. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do you look like windstrings's avatar when you "creep out?"

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    and I wasn't talking about the dance floor either :p

I sure hope not :D

3. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Only my best friends get to see my stomach... and only my wife gets to see my hump!

Anyway... :focus: We need some pics of some nice beach babes standing out of the solar roof to top this conversation off!

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ANYWAY......

it was cool today so I had the moonroof opened. I noticed that they've put a rubber piece to hide the inner workings of the moonroof. A nice touch (and only the most recently did the Camry and Corolla have that too). Our 2002 Camry XLE didn't have that and you could see the arms and the grease.

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe its more impervious to the elements this way too?

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Possibly although you wouldn't open it when it's raining and it's still exposed to dirt and dust. It's not completely enclosed.

Another 29°C day today (yup.. I went from using the heated seats to 29°C). The interior was cool. It was like I left it outside on a cool cloudy day. Again, the car was parked with the solar panel facing due south and I have no sunshade.

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Because of this very issue, I wish there was an option for an "auto close" feature where it would always close when the car is turned off.

8. Pugsy

Pugsy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It was 100F out today, and it felt like the same temperature inside my car as out. I'm SO glad I shelled out the extra money for that package. Where I live, 100+ is the norm during the summer.

9. ratana

ratana New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I live in Pittsburgh and we don't get too many sunny days, and there really isn't much of a reason to have a moonroof, but my other car had one, and I felt it just wouldnt be the same withoutit so I sprung for it, and I am glad to have done so.

The solar ventilation has been working extremely well this summer. From reading this forum and posts about the features up until I got the car, I almost expected it to never work, I thought that the car would need to meet so many conditions (direct sunlight overhead etc) for this feature to work, but for the most part, if it's not overcast, it works, and it is very pleasant to get into the car.

The sunroof itself is nice. it could have a bigger opening, but it is what it is. I am glad I sprung for it. I wish there were a way to close it by just holding in the button. I noticed that holding the open button will continue to open it all the way and not stop at the first stopping point. But closing seems to want to stop at those points.

hybridbear likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You know Toyota... liability issues. What if a kid stuck his/her head through the moonroof? (yes I know it has a pinch feature but still)

1 person likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This has always been Toyota's method for moonroofs without a one-touch close feature. The moonroof will always stop midway. You'll have to release it and press close again to fully close. Check out the older Corollas and even older Camrys. They work the same way.

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow! I discovered "Not" a good idea to open while still wet from a recent rain! LOL!

It its opened 3/4 or more, there is actually a backdraft that pushes all the rain drops right in on top of you!....

You have to have it only partially opened "1/4 or less", then the air foil will push the drops back and keep you dry, but anymore than that, it reverses and pushes them in... watch out!

13. paulemus

paulemus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got solar roof partially to keep by dog cool. But if it is hot, I used a little trick in my Gen2: Leave power on with air conditioning at level you want. Turn off lights and set parking brake. Unroll driver's window. Get out and reach in and lock all doors. Then activiate window up and quickly remove your arm. Car is locked with A/C running, mostly on battery! Open with hard key slid out of key fob. But I will have to experiment with the new A/C button on the key fob so I don't have to do that little dance. I imagine I can just lock the car with the dog in, and press the A/C button. (You can leave a note. A cop told me that they don't break into a car if the dog does not look distressed. And my dog looks very content!)

hybridbear likes this.
  14. kye04

kye04 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Big suck for the prius sunroof....
    Nice ventilation feature but lacks of features...

I have a Seat toledo 2005 with sunroof. If i keep the lock button on the remote for 5 seconds, the roof close itself....
    If the rain is starting, the car having rain sensor will close automaticaly the roof....
    For the prius i always have to be careful about outside weather and if it stars raining i have to hurry down enter the car and close the roof....
    Big minus for the japanese minds.....

15. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    brbrbrbbrbr sounds creepy......mmm well not a lot of sound but still creepy ;-)

16. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It may be possible to automatically or manually (with the fob) close the sunroof. In my 2000 vette (which was a convertible) I had purchased an aftermarket device, which plugged into the obd, that allowed me to close the windows with the fob. There may be that kind of access in the prius too. Just a matter of getting someone to build the controller lol