1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So Cal Driver MPG Question

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by CladMonitor, Sep 24, 2012.

1. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hmmmm.... I guess I'll have to start comparing my Fuelly readings with the readings in the car, I never really looked to see if they were different before (and i always reset my trip A when i put gas in the car, so it should be an easy thing to check... in another 2-3 weeks, since i just gassed up this morning).

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I live in La Costa and drive to work in UTC. I average about 50 MPG with no technique. I have glided and did all the high mileage techniques I learned on this site and managed a few days at 60 MPG and yes frustrated a few people in the process. Funny is when there is grinding stop and go traffic i.e. go 20 MPH than stop repeat over and over I get the best mileage, or highway driving at 55 MPH. What I learned is don't worry about the mileage. Just drive, keep up with traffic, slow down sooner, keep a safe distance from the car in front of you, no jack rabbit starts, and you will get 50 MPG. Think safety first. I keep my car light, no unwanted heavy items in the car, just me and a coffee mug. If I have a 1/2 tank of gas or less I get better mileage, I like to try and keep the car in eco mode, and electric mode when I drive under 20 MPH. That helps. It takes a few months to master it and get the feel of what works and doesn't.

3. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Other than trying to drive in the eco "zone" of the eco score screen, I don't really use any special techniques... except, of course, if I know I can engage a glide for a couple of miles, I'll pop it into neutral just for the fun of it. Still haven't done much highway driving, just city streets at 25-45 MPH depending on traffic.

4. crash0099

crash0099 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey guys,
    I live in Georgia and I bought an "11" Prius and the first big thing I found out is use gas without ethanol I get anywhere from 5 to 10 miles a gallon better with it. The second thing is you have to be patient and let your car break in and that will help a good bit too and in this time keep practicing how to drive it. Don't worry about the other drivers but also don't take 20 minutes to get to 50 miles and hour either. I also keep my tires inflated to 41 or 42 psi weekly because it will surprise you how much this helps from 36 psi. Wait and see how it is in a year. I have had mine for a year and a half and my mileage started at (struggling to get) 48 and I am at 64 avg (without worrying about it) for 12000 miles. I only use my "A" trip odometer for tank mileage but my "B" is not changed at all except when my nephew changed it. I used to be fanatical about a .5 mile a gallon, not any more. So just enjoy figuring it out and lets see what you guys are saying next year