1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So Calif owners, what's your mileage?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by njmurvin, Jun 8, 2010.

1. hschen

hschen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Daily commute on 405 between Torrance and Irvine. I may have the most miles around here. My 2010 Prius is almost 20,000 miles (due to many interstate trips between CA and AZ). Amazing thing is my lifelong ave MPG is 51 (calculated). Daily commute on 405 driving normally around 70 mph with some sections of stop-n-go traffic my Prius gets 55 mpg consistently. Short trips in the city will kill your mpg quickly.

2. jwads

jwads New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I commute from Huntington Beach to Orange the whole week and I have seen a few MPG increase since I took that commute. I run exclusively in ECO mode, but im thinking of kicking it off to see if anything improves. Im getting about 44 hand calculated and 47 or so on the computer. Wish I could get better. Surface driving kills me and stop and go traffic on the 405 doesn't help much either.

3. wwbarr

wwbarr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In San Diego (highways 805 & 5), lifetime is 50.1 MPG (8K miles). Daily commutes now are 47-48 MPG with ECO and AC at a cool 68 degrees (17 miles downhill to work, uphill to home -- commute is too short to maximize MPG after engine warm-up). Last year, it was a daily battle to keep the commutes at 51-52 MPG especially when Winter temps & Winter gas hit.

Last few thousand miles I've been driving a solid +65 MPH on daily commutes while the first 5K miles I was usually 55-60 MPH and had a number of longer trips easily averaging 55-60 MPG going from San Diego to Orange County. Since I have a model V, I also have tires at 50 PSI.

Overall, my San Diego driving is slightly hilly what ever direction I take and few of my leisure non-commuting destinations take a 1/2 hour to reach when there is no traffic.

Hand calculated MPG between fillups is usually about 46 MPG when the trip odometer is 50-51 MPG.

4. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm getting about the same numbers as you. I haven't changed my tire pressures yet though and I've only had the car since Sat. Hopefully I'll get a little better.

5. RedBackFur

RedBackFur Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have 4400 miles on my Prius now. Same average MPG. I still haven't upped the tire pressure....enjoy the nice ride too much...that and a bit of apathy of course. :rolleyes:.

I am not really driving where I can "hypermile"...nor would I want to....I am not willing to hold up the flow of traffic for such selfish reasons that I have read in other threads. I just want to be able to drive as a normal vehicle. Once I take my trip down south, i'll really see how the long-time mileage will do...and I'll be sure to have my tires at the higher pressure as well.

6. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I live in close to the beach so its a bit hilly. I don't go out of my way to hypermile either. I just glide when I can and try and keep my mileage up. Still, what I'm getting now is way better than the Volvo S60T I was driving before. That thing drank premium gas like no other.

7. Sandman1962

Sandman1962 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    semi related....

tahoe to malibu and back.... traveling pretty fast....
    avg 50.4 mpg

not bad!