1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So glad I didn't go with silver- anyone else?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by spinnsilly, Oct 22, 2009.

1. G3priusV

G3priusV Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Removed.

2. biscuit

biscuit New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

My husband has a WRX too, in black. I briefly looked at a silver one for myself, but really wanted a Prius. :wub:

3. AndreSeattle

AndreSeattle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got silver with dark gray interior and that is the only color combination I am willing to accept. Silver is practical in hiding dirt and it is the best color to show off the modern curves of the new Prius.

In my opinion:

Blizzard is basically white
    Black makes Prius look even smaller and shows dirt
    Gray is boring color hiding the curves
    Gold is almost OK, except a little old lady looking
    Blue is just blah
    Red is OK, but Silver is still nicer

I would rank
    1. Silver
    2. Red
    3. Blizzard
    4. Gold
    5. Black
    6. Blue
    7. Thunder Gray

Glad everyone has their own prefference or else I would never be able to get my number one color choice in the package I wanted during the first week of Clunkers and pay no sales tax in WA :)

edit: I am 33 btw...

2 people like this.
  4. biscuit

biscuit New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your combo is what I went looking for, but in addition to silver being hard to come by, every single dealer I asked said that when they do get a silver, it always has the misty grey interior (I didn't tell them up front which I wanted, so that I'd get an honest answer). I ended up with the misty, which I have come to love, especially the two-tone contrast. I got over my dirt fears.. I'm a neat freak who rarely has a passenger, and my husband's car with black interior will now hold the black lab. :D

5. leeb18c

leeb18c Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No. With prius i have 2 silver cars. Never boring. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I choose silver because five years from now, it will look the same as when it is new, just does not the have brilliant shinny deep reflection with the black or blue when new, which will turn into dull color with scratches showing all over in a few years.

1 person likes this.
  7. concertinajohnnyboy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So glad that I went with Silver. I love it!!!

8. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I really wanted a white Prius but the silver one I bought had what I wanted for the right price. I bought it, love it and have no regrets whatsoever.

In my final decision I realized that I've had so many white cars it was time for a change (come to think of it, also matches my hair).

However I have noticed unlike other cars, Prius looks great in silver, white or just about any other color Toyota offers.

What I have experienced and will not go back to is a red or black auto. I like the looks of these colors, in fact they both look especially good on the Prius, but at least for me they are too much work to keep clean looking.

The last black car I had just took darn too long to cool down (South Florida) compared to it “sistership” white one (same model). I was a little concerned about this even though I have a friend (South Florida also) that has a black Prius and says it cools well at all times.

9. jarle

jarle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 Blizzard
    2 silver
    3 blue
    I have had pri gen 2 for 5 years(silver) and this is the color that hide dirt best.
    My new gen 3 in blizzard I have to wash every week, but I think it is the nicest color for prius. I love it

:washing:

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. spinnsilly

spinnsilly New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Is it really about hiding dirt, practicality or a color you love?! Someone put it best on here - pick the color that makes you want to run to your garage just to see your car again! I thought I wanted silver until I got it for a few days as a rent a car. Decided to put all practicalities aside and go with my heart..

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Start with black, end up with Winter Gray :D

13. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I too have a winter grey and think it's so much better than silver. I had a silver 2006 and didn't like it very much so it was never one of my choices for the 2010, even though I think it looks really good on the 2010, especially with the black solar roof.

Silver is good at not showing dirt, but you can never achieve a deep shine on it even after hours of polishing. Unlike some silvers I see on other cars, I find this particular shade very light and has no depth at all. I also felt that the paint on my 2006 was "thin" -- it scratched and chipped very easily.

I also felt the silver was too common and too bland. It seemed that every car I saw was silver, and it was by far the most common color for the Gen II Prius. (According to my poll, it's second in popularity for the 2010). However, I don't think it's necessarily associated with being an "old person" color -- that distinction probably belongs to sandy beach! But again, I think the silver looks very good on the 2010 because it shows off the lines very well -- and it looks completely different from the Gen II.

It's strange, but while I think silver looks so much better on the Gen III than on the Gen II, I prefer black on the Gen II -- something about the shape of the car.

14. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    BTW, I kind of prefer your name "Thunder Grey" over "Winter Grey" -- it's more dramatic! :cool:

This is what people are actually buying (total 1005 votes):

1. Blizzard Pearl
    2. Classic Silver
    3. Winter Grey (this is a recent change, it used to be a distant #5)
    4. Blue Ribbon
    5. Barcelona Red
    6. Black
    7. Sandy Beach

[​IMG]

15. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Why would you say "blue is just blah"? I'd agree that the Seaside Pearl was a very bland color, but have you actually seen the 2010 Prius in Blue Ribbon Metallic? It positively glows!

16. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well I'm sure that the 'newer' types of paint, by now, have excellent longevity. In the past, I always wanted a silver car but every time I saw one more than a couple years old, the paint was in horrible condition. Many times the hood was all dull and porous looking. Or a long streak along the top where, apparently the smoke from a cig hanging out of the widow had 'stained' or corroded the paint. I was afraid to take the chance. I love our Blizz...

17. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd imagine the Classic Silver Metallic on the on 2010 is exactly the same as the one on the Gen II -- or else they would have called it something else.

I had kept good care of my 2006 and after 3 years it didn't look faded, but there were a lot of little chips on the hood and especially on the bumpers -- which occurred fairly on early on. I also had a few little dings in the door. I know I didn't bump anybody, so it had to do with other people bumping me. Only the dings on the bumper were immediately noticeable, but you could see the others close up.

Maybe it's my imagination but it's just that other paints seem to be harder. My BF has a 3-year-old Toyota Matrix in a bright blue metallic color. I don't see any chips or scratches on his paint at all.

Before the Prius, I had a 1996 Infiniti I30 in a pearl white, which I'd bought used. It was already about 10 years old when I gave it to my daughter. Although I had to repair a few rust spots under the doors, I had hardly any chips or dings on the paint. I was at my daughter's just recently and the paint still looked fine.

18. eddiehaskell

eddiehaskell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most paint jobs have a clear coat on them so I would think that unless the clear wears off, the paint can't fade. As far as chipping, I can't imagine certain colors having properties that make them less susceptible to chipping - surely they are all applied with the same thickness...?

19. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Picked up my car in Boston and drove home last night. Whew...it was a long and tiring day! Today is a gorgeous day and I really inspected the car in the comfort of my own parking lot. It's beautiful (and it's silver) ;)

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The silver colour available in 2004 and 2005 was called Millennium Silver Metallic, and it's much 'sparklier' than the Classic silver which started in 2006.