1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So groceries don't fit in the Prime cargo area?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Lee Jay, Apr 27, 2017.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you've finally figured out who the designers were targeting.:p

ruby and Trollbait like this.
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Probably because it was the first time she ever saw one. I had the same thing happen with my CMax and Nissan Cube as I was one of the first to own one of those in my neck of the woods. Now? Never get a second look in either the Energi or Gen 2. Old hat.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No idea. I was just speculating on the modular platform theory. I have no information that it is true.

It could very well be what you theorised earlier - they went with a smaller pack, TMS said "nope, won't sell in the US". TMC went back with a bigger battery that would fit the target EPA miles (I assume there was some negotiation btwn TMC and TMS as to AER and physical battery size) and the Prime is the compromise they went with.

Perhaps with the smaller battery, the Prime would've fit 5 but because of the "last minute" change to increase AER, they had to compromise on that to hit the efficiency target?

We'll never know cause Toyota will never divulge on the details but it also gets you thinking as to how the manufacturers operate (or at least you think they would) when they design a car for a particular market. (the engineering part, not the marketing part where they include/exclude features/specs)

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Don't undersell Toyota's ability to take advantage of the flexibility their design offers.

Other automakers are simply stuck when the market changes.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why did or does The Prius have anything BUT a great reputation for cargo capacity?

I kinda love hatchbacks for that very reality. I expect they can hold a lot.

My 2013 Prius was great in that regard.
    My only very, very slight annoyance, was the horizontal nature of the glass on the hatch, means you have to be aware of the height of anything you are putting underneath that area. But once you get a feel for how high you can go? It's was great.

My Honda Fit has a more vertical hatch, but without folding the seats down, less automatic space in the back, more akin to a Prius c, size.

It would be interesting (At least to me) to do a cargo battle between a Prius and Honda Fit with the seats down, and see who could hold the most. I actually think the Prius would win, but it would be close. The Magic Seats on a Honda Fit would give it the edge, I would guess over a Prius c.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Fit can fit a lot for a small car (closest competitor would be the Toyota Ractis but will still lose because it lacks Honda's Magic Seats)

To be fair, it's still one of the more usable PHEVs. The other being the C-Max Energi.

Again, I think the width helps (e.g. it can fit a golf club set without folding down the seat). The others (Volt, Ioniq) rely on depth to get the same volume.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume Toyota knew for a long time they had to go with 8 kwhr battery for CARB credits/CA HOV.
    We had articles to that effect a long time ago that PiP1 was not cutting it for CARB.

Toyota were probably between a rock and a hard place, feeling from a style view point, they had to make Gen4 more sedan-like, really takes quite a bit of rear space away. The chasis was really made to fit Japan 4WD Gen4 option and Prime solar option, not so much to hide the Prime battery for the US market. They must have felt Prime would sell adequately with the reduced cargo space. Demand seems solid.

#47 wjtracy, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    heiwa and drysider like this.
  8. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When heading out to buy all those groceries, why not leave the cargo cover at home? Or remove it and lay it lengthwise in the cargo space? Why not fold the rear seat backs down? You got everything in, but it seems like you did it the hard way.

Do people really find the cargo cover useful? I never have.

Prius from Dad likes this.
  9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First thing I do with all new cars is take the stupid cargo cover out and set it in the garage to only return when the vehicle gets sold.

10. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I wasn't at home, I was at work and didn't have any place to leave it.

Because then everything has to sit on top of it.

If everything fits without doing that, it's better not to because the stuff is better contained. It doesn't slide around when going around corners and it doesn't fly up in a panic braking situation.

I do, but rarely.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Will the cover stow somewhere in the car? Third gen had a spot, under the hatch floor.

12. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, but it stows in the same slot that you can use to store the charging cable. They don't fit simultaneously and I had the charging cable in there at the time.

Removing the cargo cover doesn't really add any space for smaller items like groceries. It certainly helps with large items.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I used it maybe once in the 7 years that I have owned a Prius. I thought it made my car look like there was something valuable under it, and since there is nothing of value, I figure I should advertise that fact. :)

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is it still white coloured? Kinda good for transporting ice cream home.

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't want to establish a pattern of it being closed only when something valuable is under it. Keep it closed nearly all the time, to keep them guessing, keep their yield low, and encourage them to find a different career.

16. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I always keep my cover in place unless it's in the way. It doesn't say you're hiding anything any more than a tonneau cover on a pickup truck. It just tidies things up a bit. And it shades the battery increasing the delay before it gets as hot as the rest of the car. That's kind of a big deal down here.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine's almost always pulled closed. I'd rather the tonneau cover discolour than the carpets (due to sun) since the cover can be retracted. Plus, the albedo is a touch higher than the carpet itself.... so maybe it helps reflect more light back? I do not know lol.

But it's more of "it's closed whether I have something inside or not"

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in 3 pri, i have never used the tonneau cover. it's just one more thing to mess around with every time i'm in and out of the hatch, which is a lot. maybe theft isn't as big a concern around here. the new owners get a brand new one stowed away for posterity.

19. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    One of the reasons I like floor space more than vertical space, and one reason I rarely use the cover. E500_16471.jpg

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sure, but try putting a harrier in there.:cool: