1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So here's a nice one: I get rear ended and the v has only 1100 miles on it

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by GerryL, Aug 23, 2012.

1. GerryL

GerryL Master Model Railroader

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Personally, I think it's a positive testament to the construction of the foam/vinyl bumper on the car. This wasn't a tap -- this was a BOOM. He was probably going 10mph.

But whatever. I just think it's "interesting" that I've gotten rear-ended twice within 8 weeks on a brand new car.

2. PriusVOwner

PriusVOwner New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    My 5 months-old Prius V got rear ended/smashed last week. A car in front and I were at complete stop, waiting to make right turn onto a busy expressway, a car behind me decided not to stop at all, smashed into my Prius at minimu speed of 25-30 mph, pushed mine into the car in front. My Prius rear bumper, forms, safty bar, trunck lid, ..., all got smashed in, and the plastic trunk frame was pushed into the spare tire. Current estimated damage is at over $10K. Luckly, no battery or structure damage according to 2 body shops. Even though my Prius was pushed into the car in front of me, the front did sustain damage. Besides the obvious visual inspections after the repair, what else should I check? Should I request for an inspection by a Toyota dealer? Thanks.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow... glad you're ok... Did the airbags work? Did they help protect you?

4. PriusVOwner

PriusVOwner New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Since the hit was from behind, the airbags didn't deploy, but I did feel the seat belt retention worked, it tightened up at the impact.

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. GerryL

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Man, you were very fortunate. Too bad about the car, though. Man, that's a ton of damage.

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You'd think insurance companies would get more than a little annoyed that modern day cars are so easily totaled and that they'd lobby for regulations that limit out of control pricing for replacement parts? I mean $10k to fix your car is cheap compared to how much it'd cost had all the air bags deployed. Although, compared to health insurance in the US, I guess expensive car repairs or car replacement is pocket change....

7. GerryL

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Couldn't agree more. Along the same lines: we had a dishwasher with a slow leak that eventually warped an 8-foot diameter circle of our hardwood kitchen floor. Floor had to be replaced, which meant that the whole hardwood floor -- most of our main level -- had to be refinished to the tune of $14K. All because of a dishwasher leak.

The insurance guy told us there's a class action suit getting underway, insurance companies vs. dishwasher manufacturers, because the dishwasher manufacturers know they don't have to fix the problem, yet won't have to foot the bill if there's a leak.

PriusCamper likes this.
  8. PriusVOwner

PriusVOwner New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Lesson learned.
    I know it's late to do this, but should I fight with insurance company to get my car totaled at beginning?
    I feel a little uneasy driving a "structure damaged then repaired" car.

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only way they'll write your car off as totaled is if you show them that it will cost just as much to repair than to replace... Yet another reason why buying a pre-owned car is better than brand new... Had you bought a GenII used for $12K, You'd be driving around in a replacement GenII car with no damage at all by now. Buying brand new cars cost so much more money in so many ways...