1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So, How Many 220V Chargers So Far?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by El Dobro, Dec 3, 2012.

1. grodnyc

grodnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The run will be about 80 feet.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're good to go with 12g or go 10g for future improvements.

3. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd have to put a meter on my EVSE, but I believe that the total amperage that the call will pull is around 9 to 11 amps at 240V. The car's internal charger is only rated up to about 2.2 to 2.4 kW.

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The point I was trying to make is that my car is plugged in at work for 10 hours on average and also sits at home 10 hours on average plugged into a wall. I would prefer to have a 110v plug be charging a sufficiently large enough battery for the entirety of those 10 hours, say 16 kwh like in the Volt. I'm really curious as to why others are upgrading. Frequent short trips maybe? I have a single long 53 mile one way commute. There's no reason for me to purchase upgrades or dedicated chargers when my car is sitting there anyway.

And honestly, there would be a Volt in my driveway if my commute was shorter. But the ICE in the Volt is not as efficient as the PiP. Add on the lower passenger and cargo capacity, and the PiP easily gets my money.

I found it an enjoyable read and informative. The lawyer thing is your only red flag? How about the both PIS's website's slamming each other? Doesn't seem very professional to me. I can handle long lead times and new technology but poor communication is a deal breaker.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly.

6. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    At my work charging spots are at a premium. So being able to get the car charged in 1.5 hours instead of 3 hours allows more EV/PHEV owners to charge at work. The quicker charging also means that I can run errands at lunch (or just go out to lunch), and be able to get my car fully charged for the commute home.

I'd love more battery capacity. But I also like having a full sized trunk. I'd love a spare tire. But I also like having the ability to plugin in the first place. Maybe we'll see a Plugin Prius V down the line that brings back the spare and gives us a bigger battery.

mmmodem likes this.
  7. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I guess we've (me and the other regulars that work in the court) settled in- if I arrive at or before 8:45am one parking spot next to the ChargePoint has been available every day. The D..bag in the Lexus SUV still takes the most righthand spot every day- but I just back into the lefthand spot and charge from there. Today there was another regular (I've spoken to her in the past) in the spot to the left of the one open ChargePoint spot- she leaves that one spot open for me now if she gets there before me :)

After a full morning recharge and very moderate temps in the 50's-60's yesterday I achieved 100mpg at the end of my 28mi commute home yesterday evening! Wow....

mrbigh likes this.
  8. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW- I used 12/2 for my 240v outlet with a 15amp breaker on each hot leg, the run from the box to the outlet is about 35' total.

9. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Actually, GM partnered with SPX to provide a plug-in L2 EVSE for $500 for Volt owners.

10. ralteredstates

ralteredstates Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Use 110 at home and installed 220 at work