1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I figured out how to install my block heater

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bill Lumbergh, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With the onset of cold weather here in AK, I didn't get my block heater done a moment too soon. I suspect it will snow in the next seven days.

The OEM heater is about 3/4" thick and nearly four inches long. Finding a hole in the block for something like that was a challenge. Finalyl I relented and visited the local dealer. A nice service writer was kind enough to explain in detail where the hole was and how to complete the installation. He did tell me it was difficult and that they charged 1.5 hours labor for it. With knowledge in mind, I set about the task anyways.

After jacking up the car, feel around the driver's side of the block just below the heater hose. You'll feel a smooth machined hole. Simply orient the block heater with the longest prong and the clip toward the back of the car, grease it up (with the supplied thermal transfer grease) and slide it into the hole. Piece of cake. I ran the power cord over the top of the engine and zip-tied it to an exisiting harness, then snapped it into the heater element and zip-tied the harness to the heater hose (it's padded, so the zip tie can't cut it). I considered routing the cosrd out the front of the grill, but I use a seperate timer and I want to keep it dry, so it will go under the hood.

If anyone has any questions about the install, feel free to shoot me an email.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I've found with mine 3 hours keeps the ICE at about 42-47C depending on OAT. Up there with colder weather you might need more but with the thermous and a block heater 3 hours should be about right.

3. endoildependency

endoildependency New Member

Boxster, your avatar! LMAO!

Did you drive the Prius up there?

I like Anchorage. Drove my family up there in '97 (from Long Beach) in a '97 Saturn wagon---wife and 3 kids---roof rack---camping all the way. Tried to see Denali close-up but it was clouded in.

The daily fluctuation in the channel where the whales hang out blew my mind.

I was raised in upstate N.Y. with severe winters (down to 30-40 below at times). Wouldn't do it again. Un-unh.

At least you aren't in Fairbanks.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where did you get your OEM block heater? How much was it? Can I come live with you in Alaska? Have you seen termination dust yet?

5. Bill Lumbergh

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did drive it up here.......check out my signature fo the details.

I have yet to see Denali or the whales. it's always clouded over, and I'm not much for sightseeing.

6. Bill Lumbergh

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got my OEM heter at the local Toyota dealer, for the ripoff price of about $60.

You can live in Alaska if you want, but not with me. My apartment is too small. You're a doctor! Get your own place!

Term dust is visible for the top 1000 ft. or so of the nearby mountains. It got a bit lower over the weekend.

7. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    B) Boxster...WRX...Prius,

Well if you ski it will be that time soon. You haveArtic Valley if it is still open and is up the mountain outside of Ft. Richardson main gate or Alyaska just a short drive around Turigan Arm heading toward Seward.

8. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What is termination dust?

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The first dusting of snow on the visible mountain peaks each year is known as termination dust...indicitive of the end of summer and impending snow and cold for the rest of fall and winter.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just for those interested in getting a block heater:

I called my local dealer's parts dept. and they looked up in their books/computers and reported back that there is not a block heater available for the '04/'05 Prius.

Obviously that is wrong.

I'd purchased from Toyota Town in the past (splash guards before they were available in the US) and thought I'd check them since they're located in Coldland (aka Canada).

They now use the monicre "The Toyota Depot. They did, indeed, offer the block heater for CN$68 + CN$10 for shipping. (not sure how much that'll convert to). You can order online and pay with CC or Paypal. Direct product link below.

http://www.toyotadepot.com/product_info.ph...products_id/144

[Broken External Image]:http://www.toyotadepot.com/images/products/C0140x.gif

11. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

OK, let me ask a stupid question. What does the metal part insert into in the car?

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it is an "engine block heater. One might assume it inserts into the engine block! :p

Did you read the first post of the thread? The OP describes how/where the metal part goes fairly well.

I'm going to try to take some photos, if I can, when I install mine and either post a knowledge base article or start a thread with the photos.

Only reason I'm getting this is b/c I'm getting greedy with my gas mileage and just want to attenuate the winter hit as much as possible. I'll probably block my radiators a bit too--anyone got any good suggestions on a proceedure for that?

13. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I got indoor outdoor carpet squares from Home depot and put one on each half of the radiator.
    You need to remove the plastic top cover, but it goes off and on easily with the little plastic fasteners.
    Then you can slide the carpet in. They go in one side easier, and then you can drag one over.

I just leave them loose, so net effect is about 3/4 blockage max. This is for temps from -20 to +30 F Remove one if going high speeds or weather gets warm. Or just monitor temps carefully with a scan gauge etc.

14. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Thanks for all the tips on where to get these heaters, and how to find the block hole.
    Sure helps to have skinny arms putting it in. Anyway got mine in today.

Temperature here 55 degrees today. I plugged in and took some scan gauge temp readings. Starting engine temp was 67 deg, I guess from driving up my ramps to
    do the install.

Time 0 Engine at 0 deg F delta
    2 min 6 deg
    5 min 11 deg
    10 min 16 deg
    15 min 20 deg
    20 min 24 deg
    30 min 27 deg
    45 min 33 deg
    1 hr 22 min 42 deg

Based on this I'm thinking even 15 min warm time will help significantly for temps around 20 deg or so, 1 hour for temps to 0 deg and 2 hours for - 10 deg F.

15. Frank Hudon

I give it three hours on a timer and this takes the ICE temp to 115F, 47C. I've plugged it in over night sans timer and it gets to 47C so I can only assume that it is regulated with a thermocouple. The car will not go into S4 till 70C and that takes about 1/2 mile of side street driving. I don't worry about the cost as we pay 6.5 cents a kilowatt and the block heater that I have draws 3.2 amps which makes it about 360 watts maybe a bit higher as the line voltage tends to rise a bit late at night depending on how many go-op's are in the neighbourhood. The gas savings more than pay for it's use. On a Classic without the thermous. On a G2 probably less time but if it's regulated who cares it'll only take what it needs. I'd love to have a demand meter on that run just to see real K/W hr useage.

16. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Thanks Frank. That's great news. So the heater will work even better than what I measured in warm temps.

17. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

44 degrees, 42 minutes North; 73 degrees, 29 minu
    Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How does the temperature scanner work?

Is this readily obtainable, affordable technology?

Is it something that could easily be installed permanently or is there some better way to get a reliable, routine readout of the coolant temp?

Thanks,

storm petrol

18. Frank Hudon

I use Graham Davies MiniScanner in my Classic Prius. and I use a CANVIEW scanner in the 2k4 Prius.
    The CANVIEW scanner is still under developement but it gives you RPM, Temp, BSOC, KW output from the ICE and MG2 along with recovery from braking, among other readouts from the buss on the car. If you search here on PC on CANVIEW it should give you more info. Be advised that a lot of the posts for it were lost in the crash.

19. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

44 degrees, 42 minutes North; 73 degrees, 29 minu
    Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Frank,

Thank you for the info.

I ran the search but the only result was your last post. I guess the others were lost.

Is this scanner something that you can use as routine instrumentation in the cabin? How does it hook up to the car to provide all this info?

Thanks again,

storm petrol

20. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

And I use the scan gauge which you can find threads on here too. It is an inexpensive ugly box with readouts for up to 4 items, as well as some trip recording functions.

I use it to montor: Coolant temp, %Load, 12 volts voltage, and RPM. Only big thing missing is HV battery current.