1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I figured out how to install my block heater

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bill Lumbergh, Oct 8, 2005.

1. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I think the engine would still go through it's normal warm up cycle based on outside air temp and engine temperature.

2. HybridVigor

HybridVigor New Member

Yeah, I guess in retrospect exhaust gases are much hotter than anything you're likely to be able to cost-effectively heat to get a jump-start on the warm-up process. I remember doing an IR temperature measurement on a big ol' diesel engine exhaust pipe for a mud-rotary drill rig last summer, and it went off the scale of the temp gauge (>500 degrees F) so I probably should have reached that conclusion already. Back to the drawing board.

3. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, got my heater in...it was a PITA...

When I got the plug in, I couldn't feel if it was flush with the core and I can't sense if it's very tight or not. Anyone else have the same experience?

Mike

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When it is in right it feels right. the core should 'snap' when it locks in place. It should not slide out without releasing the clip. the plug should go on snuggly, but it's a little harder to be absolutely certain that it's on all the way. I just wiggled the cord to make sure it didn't feel loose or fall out.

5. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's all I did too...fingers crossed!

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

do you have a multimeter whereby you could check the ohm reading between the two blades on the plug. You should have a reading of about 350 ohms.

7. sdgeiger

sdgeiger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you purchase the block heater from Toyota Canada's website, does it come with instructions and a diagram?

My dealer said they have no idea how long it would take to install and asked if I could provide instructions with a diagram.

Also, they said that I should call Toyota to see if this would void my warranty since it's not offered in the US.

8. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The block heater won't void your warranty, and it IS available in the US, as I got mine in Alaska. My local dealer wanted 1.5 hours labor to install it. Took me less than half that time.

The instructions are worthless, as they don't explain where to install the heater. Your best bet would be to either do it yourself or give the install techs a link to this thread.

9. sdgeiger

sdgeiger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The service dept mgr searched and couldn't find it available anywhere. He feels that it's only available in colder areas.

By the way, can you easily unplug the heater and detach the power cord so it's not hanging inside the engine or do you just wrap it up inside to secure it?

10. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It comes with a schematic of the heater, but not really with instructions on where it goes. Mine gave directions on where it goes in the Matrix and Rav4, but it was just descriptive, no pictures.

I went to my dealer's parts department, they ordered from Canada and it took 2 weeks to arrive.

11. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The part number listed on my receipt is: 00213-00889

See if the dealership can look it up for you.

Someone keeps unplugging my block heater, too......I m NOT pleased.

12. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK.
    Here is another picture how a Japanese mileage enthusiast is avoiding the cooling down at night. :)

Please note that he shuts 100% of front grill but makes spaces around radiator.

Ken@Japan
    [​IMG]

13. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We got some from Canada.
    The box says the P/N is CO140-00889.

Ken@Japan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's quite common at apartment buildings, at least in Winnipeg. My co-worker with the VW tdi even makes a point of waking up several hours early just to make sure his car is still plugged in. About 1/3 of the time, it has been unplugged.

Let's face it, there are a lot of assholes out there.

15. jacaufie

jacaufie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just wanted to thank the many posters on this thread as I've just successfully installed my own engine block heater. Being able to read about others experiences help a great deal; the pictures made it even easier.

I used ramps (though I had to jack the car up to get it on them) and found the spot without too much difficulty. The heater inserted on about my third attempt. The cable went on with only one try though I admit I studied the orientation quite a bit before attempting it (the cable should align with the black clip).

Interestingly enough, getting the cable back up into the engine compartment was my biggest headache- it kept getting hung-up on things. The whole process took about 90 minutes.

I'll go to Home Depot tomorrow to get a timer and then wait to see if this improves my mileage any. I have a short 20 minute commute to work so I'm hoping that it will. Being able to get that first 5-minute consumption bar out of the 20's would be a big deal to me. :)

16. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You will find that it helps quite a bit my commute is about 15-20 minutes. It has been a MPG saver during this recent cold snap. BTW you folks up in Canada can have this cold air back!

17. Frank Hudon

trust us on this one, we don't want it either, send it back to Russia.

18. jacaufie

jacaufie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And the wind! It takes your breathe away. Explains a lot about Russians. :)

19. Frank Hudon

I use the block heater all the time, on a timer, and this last tank was one of the better winter tanks. 4.87 liters per hundred km's works out to 58 mpg Imperial 48.3 US mpg. I knew it was going to be one of the better tanks just by the Km's I'd put on it, but it was better than I though. Lots of short trips and it's been quite cool.
    Edit: my normal station and pump.

20. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I finally got mine in.
    I just gave the dealer $53 and saved the trouble.