1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I figured out how to install my block heater

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bill Lumbergh, Oct 8, 2005.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    At the very least it explains all the Vodka.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A quick bump...winter's approaching and I've already had one inquiry from a member about how to install their block heater.

FWIW, I've been using mine on the sub-50 degree days already...it's pretty nice b/c I'm seeing starting ICE temps near 160-170 and very short 'warm-up' times and first 5 min. MPGs in the 75+mpg range at times.

3. kn6vv

kn6vv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 5 2006, 01:29 PM) [snapback]328581[/snapback]</div>

I too have been using the my new block heater recently on the colder nights now on a timer set to turn the heater on about 3-4 hours before I plan to drive my Prius. I notice the cold mileage for the first 5 minutes of driving is much higher than when cold soaked and closer to my current overall average of 52.0 MPG. I only have 2800 miles on the car but I'm seeing a slow but continous improvement in my average from my first tank at only 48.3 MPG. I run 42/40 psi in the stock tires.

I purchased my block heater from Jesse who is on PriusChat here MetroToyota who has the OEM type block heater that simply clips into the engine block cavity already machined into your Prius engine! Installation was easy and the cost VERY reasonable. I believe Jesse has both part numbers dependant on the 2001-2003 or the 2004-2006. Highly recommended for the cold climate users!

4. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 5 2006, 12:29 PM) [snapback]328581[/snapback]</div>
    I got email from Jesse Wright this a.m. I called and ordered, so my heater is on the way.

I'm sort of glad I didn't get around to installing it last year (actually I don't think I even saw the thread until sometime this summer). That way I've avoided most of your trials and tribulations.

Hopefully my install will go much easier than your first install.

Anyway, I know it's got to improve mileage some. Where I live, unless I'm driving into Spokane, I never travel more that two miles at a stretch. I figure if the engine is already warm, I can charge up on leaving and use EV mode returning. That's got to keep my mileage better than it's been.

Cold weather hasn't hit yet. We've probably only had one day so far with frost.

Dave M.

5. chimohio

chimohio New Member

Wow - a block heater.
    Love all the information on this forum.
    I went into Google; did a search on "Prius block heater" and believe it or not found a new one on eBay. The part number even matched the one given on an earlier post, so I bought it. Thanks, and I feel warmer already. :D

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Jan 21 2006, 08:39 AM) [snapback]194595[/snapback]</div>
    I received mine today, from the same source, Toyota Canada under $45.00. This will be the weekend to get a little dirty. ;)
    My local Toyota parts dept. couldn't find it in their parts database here in Long Island, NY, but they tryed to sell me and extended warranty for $1950.00. :angry:

7. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK. Autumn is upon us. It just may snow on Thursday here near Chicago. I've been trying to search for one comprehensive thread that contains information concerning winterizing the Prius and came up short. I'm interested in this block heater but don't know much about it. I'm assuming that one would have to plug it in to an electrical outlet every morning, no? It seems that three hours is more than enough time to heat the car to an optimum level for fuel savings, no? Does anyone have experience with how much fuel this part actually saves?

Based on my reviews of the other threads I've seen, it appears that short of obstructing the radiator a bit, there's not much else to do to enhance mpg. Is this correct?

Lastly, does anyone have pictures on installation of the block heater and/or protection for the radiator during very cold months? For the latter, I've seen posts that mention blocking parts of the radiator or simply openings in parts of the grill. I want to be certain that I don't block too much of the air flow for obvious reasons and pictures would help a whole bunch.

Thanks in advance for any information you can offer!

8. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I cannot edit, so I'm adding a post. I didn't realize that someone added pictures for the block heater area subsequent to my last visit to this thread and I apologize for asking for them again! I don't "know" car parts so this picture doesn't help much. I have NOOOOO idea what I'm looking at there but I'll try to compare. I also see that I do have to plug the block heater in so forgive me for that stupid question as well.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2-3 hours is adequate time to get the ICE up to a good temp...at least that's the most energy efficient time. It will continue to warm for a few more hours of plug in time, but only by small increments.

There are other things that can be done to winterize, but it very much depends upon how aggressive you wish to be. In Japan some have packed insulation through the entire engine compartment under the hood to help maintain heat. I add a thin reflective insulation pad under the hood (not sure it really does anything). Some have added a new air intake hose to take advantage of pre-warming the air before it enters the air intake.

I've considered adding a battery heater...but need to do a lot to find a good way to do that.

Just realize that absolutely none of this is necessary (unless you're in extreme cold climates). Fuel savings is probably fairly small unless all your trips are quite short (2-4 miles) and you can plug in or drive only when the ICE is warm. I'm convinced it does help, over an entire tank. But probably only by a few mpg.

10. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, that is my dilemma Evan. My trips are so short. I commute 16 miles round trip to/from work. I wasn't sure if the cost of the block heater and electrical costs to charge the heater would be worth the savings of fuel, which appear to be minimal. Plus, when I get to work, I have nowhere to plug the heater in so the cost of the heater probably wouldn't be offset by fuel savings, as it would only be working in the am. It seems it's a much better and cost effective idea to insulate the engine. I'll look again for a thread on this topic, otherwise I'll be back to bug people here.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If cost is your primary concern then do not bother with the EBH.

If, however, you're interested in saving a little more gas, you're interested in lower emissions, you're interested in faster cabin warm-up time in winter, then the EBH is a good option to consider.

With a short commute (8 miles each way?) you'll start seeing first 5 minute bars up from 25mpg closer to 40mpg, and probably a small bump in the second 5 minute bars as well. I can't really appreciate any benefit after that. But for you you should be very close to work within 10-15 minutes anyway. If that's the case then you may notice a much bigger relative increase in FE compared to those of us with somewhat longer commutes.

Not a lot you can do about the inability to plug in at work though.

12. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 10 2006, 03:20 PM) [snapback]330786[/snapback]</div>
    Received the heater in the mail today - unfortunately pre-made plans will keep me from installing it until Saturday. It can, and does get cold here in NW Ohio, so I will take any help I can get, especially since my garage is not attached AND not heated. I will just have to put a big sign on my car to unplug the heater before I drive away. :D

13. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius biker @ Oct 10 2006, 06:24 PM) [snapback]330941[/snapback]</div>
    if you get some tie straps and hook the cord to some thing solid like the rad support you'll be able to back out with impunity. Best to unplug it though. Takes about 3 times to realise that when you go out in the morining that the car is really plugged in. Just like a regular block heater in cold climates.

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Oct 10 2006, 10:39 AM) [snapback]330709[/snapback]</div>
    There are a bunch of threads, including this one, that have information on radiator blockers. Do a search. Frank has the best low tech solution ( in my opinion ) and if you want to go for it I have the best high tech, and sadly high cost solution, but it looks good!!!

15. chimohio

chimohio New Member

Aargh!!! Is there a plastic surgeon in the house? I got the heater core installed fairly easily once I found the hole, but must have left half my arm and hand skin in the engine compartment attaching the cord. But it's done. :lol:

16. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius biker @ Oct 15 2006, 12:15 PM) [snapback]333061[/snapback]</div>
    Well I'm about to try installing mine now, but where exactly is the jack point for a floor jack?
    There's no way I could even try to drive the car up onto ramps. The ramps hit the bumper before they touch the tires. My intent was to jack it up and place the ramps under the front tire.

The manual shows the jack point to be about in the middle of the front axle (or whatever). I look under there (there's not enough room to reach under and feel around.), and see a square "pad" sticking down about that point, but it looks like it's made of rubber. Is that where I should be positioing the jack? If so, there's hardly any room to move the jack handle up and down.

There's so much plastic under there, I'm afraid a slight misalignment would tear things up.

The diagram I looked at is just that, not a photo.

Would someone who's done this please clarify?

Thanks.

Dave M.

17. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Oct 15 2006, 05:42 PM) [snapback]333103[/snapback]</div>
    Dave - I drove mine up onto ramps. An earlier user mentioned that he used the Rhino 8000 ramps just fine, so I bought some myself (figure I might need them later).
    I had no problems getting the car up and there was no bumper scraping at all. With the hood open and looking up from underneath was pretty much able to see when the heater core went. Some of the earlier response have pictures. Good luck. B)

18. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

you put the jack under the cross member and no where else or damage will result. Get yourself some short scraps of 2x8 or 2x10 wood and make "climbers" so you can get the jack under the car completely and under the crossmember. Or do it side to side as you can see under the corner where the crossmember bolts to the sub-frame.

19. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius biker @ Oct 15 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]333061[/snapback]</div>
    I installed mine yesterday, my first aproach was from under carriage and I couldn't pinpoint the rigth place, so I remember " hobbits" guidance, and my next attempt was from the top of the engine.
    I removed the wipers, the wipers plastic skirt and the gutter below with the relay box and harness. All engine compartment and the fire wall is exposed and very easy to see behinde the scene of the Synergy Drive mechanics; it took a little diging and searching but finaly I found the opening. I tryed installing it with the harness attached but it is NOT enough room in the area. I squirted the heat sink/heat disipator compound first inside of the opening or almost all of it and then I shove it for good, the clip locks at 3 pm position and later the wiring plug, it is triangular shaped, so NOT mistakes can be made. Routed the harness through the back on the firewal and install the "thermostat" in the front of the engine for easy adjustment and control.
    Engine compartment without wiper mechanism and gutter, the fire wall is easy accesible
    [​IMG]
    I started looking thru this engine opening, location is 10" down just below of the heater hose pipe
    [​IMG]
    I took the fallowing pictures from the top of the engine from right to left. You can see the heater core installed half the way
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The EBH is electricaly connected to an outdoor variable set point thermostat, the mounting place is near the radiator and the sensing bulb in front of it
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Power to the EBH is enabled by an Electrical timer and fed thru the PHEV plug at the front of the vehicle
    [​IMG]

Now I'm waiting for temperature below 40F to take advantage of the features of the EBH. ;)

20. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius biker @ Oct 15 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]333144[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. I remember the reference to the Rhino ramps now. I guess I'll have to see if I can find some.

They must have a lower slope than the ramps I have. If I can get up onto them, ramps should be a lot easier than getting the jack in the right spot, so I'll try to go that route.

Dave M.