1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I figured out how to install my block heater

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bill Lumbergh, Oct 8, 2005.

1. lee

lee New Member

I installed mine this weekend. Jesse at Metro Toyota supplied the heater and I used the instructions I found in this thread. To get under the car I used Rhino plastic ramps that I've had for several years (purchased at Wal-Mart), and a roll-around creeper. It was a bit of a pain to to do, and I did get a few scratches on my hands, but overall I would rate the job as pretty simple. Incidentally, I felt that the heater element's clip's final orientation was more like 4 o'clock. I wasn't able to pull it out against once I pushed it in, so I'm pretty it's in there correctly. Getting the wire fished and connected was easier than I expected it to be.

I did notice that the starter hole cover plate was upside down, but it hadn't caused any abrasion to the wiring harness that's near it, so I left it alone for now. I have an oil change to do in about 1K miles, so I'll probably take care of that issue then.

2. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Horacio that is some nice install. Where did you get the PHEV plug in the front from?

Wayne

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Oct 17 2006, 01:32 PM) [snapback]333997[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Wayne, the twistlock is a Marinco/Hubbell all wheater connector with a cover and a piece of dianomd plate as a handle, mounted on a piece of plexiglass as a reinforcement. This electrical device handles 50A 250VCA. The interconnect wire is a heffty 6/3 to carry al the juice.

4. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Horacio, your not future planning that PHEV are you?!!

Wayne

5. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Oct 18 2006, 09:49 AM) [snapback]334390[/snapback]</div>
    Is on the works, waiting for some hardware to complete....... ;)

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, over 300 posts in this thread! And I even remember when it all
    began! [does that make me an old fart?]
    Mrbigh, for some reason I can't discern what's where in your pix
    of the block. I do agree that pulling the cowl is absolutely the
    right way to do this, and having had my own heater arrive a couple
    of days ago [Thanx Jesse!] I'm going to eventually get it in there.
    I'll try to do a photo-essay on it too, including details on how
    easy it is to pull the cowl, because I think more people need to
    know this. While I'm in there I'm hoping to make a few improvements
    in the warm-air intake ducting because I don't think it's working
    quite right yet. Might even pull the *hood* to make it easier.
    Oh, and see how that fuel line is routed through a little squiggly
    loop hanging in midair just behind the engine? The engine *moves*
    relative to the firewall, so you definitely want a bit of "service
    loop" in any wiring that jumps from frame to engine. With the cowl
    out I expect to be able to dress the EBH wiring back nicely, and
    not lose an arm in the process...
    _H*

7. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Oct 18 2006, 12:08 PM) [snapback]334487[/snapback]</div>
    Yea, it is difficult to understand what you are looking at the pictures with out a white paper essay.... I suck at it, I will try to be more “explicitâ€, also there where some pictures with some more detail but these came blurry, I realized it when everything was complete and didn't post.
    Once you have the engine compartment with out the offensive mechanical (and it is not necessary to remove the hood!) materials it is not to difficult to understand the area in question, digging in the right side of the engine block and the converter on its right , 10'' of the firewall and almost 8" down is a pipe with a rubber hose attached to it (name and function are irrelevant at this moment), to approach this with the EBH you have to fit your left hand from behind the engine block and the fire wall, right below of the pipe and hose is the opening, it is not visible anywhere from the top (to take this pictures was a JOB and I use a macro feature of the camera), the three pictures in series show where the EBH is inserted, only 1/3 of the way in. It does help a lot having a drop light shinning the area from the side. Trying to insert the EBH looks like a blind proctologist job and patience is virtue, it isn’t a lot a room to play there. Get the Band-Aid box and peroxide near by, you won’t leave the “war area†with out a skin abrasion.
    Hope this lines clarified a little the installation for hands on clean job, and be ready to do an extensive Essay on the matter, the crowd is waiting. ;)

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh -- the reason I'm thinking about the hood too is that apparently
    that's a common thing done by techs when they go to work on stuff
    near the firewall. When I was trying to see down around the heat
    shield over the first cat and align the warm-air hose, it was
    actually in the way. So just having it off will probably help and
    then I can get all this stuff done more easily in one shot.
    White paper essay? I love those, don'tcha know! Ooh, a challenge...
    _H*

9. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Oct 15 2006, 05:00 PM) [snapback]333173[/snapback]</div>
    I finally got some low profile ramps (not Rhino, but apparently the same design as the slope is only 15 degrees) from Schuck's this week. I had a little time this afternoon, before going to an evening meeting in a few minutes from now, so drove up on the ramps to take a look. I couldn't find the right location either. I saw several holes below the exhaust manifold, but know they weren't right. I think I may have seen the right location, but there's no way I could get my hand up there, let alone my arm. I'm assuming Ken's photos must have been taken with the engine out of the car, as I couldn't find any clearance under it to even get a good view.

Anyway, I think I'll use your approach this weekend. It may take longer, but from above (after taking off the relay box) I think I'll have a better view and more room. Then I'll decide whether or on to take off the rest of what you removed. Thanks for the photos. They'll be a big help.

Dave M.

10. lee

lee New Member

It's impossible to see the location from underneath the car. You have to do it by feel. If you look at the pictures near the beginning this thread it will give you a pretty good idea of where you have to reach up to find the hole.

11. mikel 52

mikel 52 Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Here's a link to some pics I took while I was installing my block heater.
    The first one gives you a good idea what you are looking for and the next few are of the same area looking up from under the car. The two circled areas are the same boss that the heater goes into viewed from different angles.

Mike

12. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lee @ Oct 19 2006, 01:40 PM) [snapback]335240[/snapback]</div>
    I believe that, but I didn't see how I could even fit my hand any distance up through any holes available, let alone get an arm and elbow up there. I know people have done it, but what is the best entry point?

I'll still probably do it from above.

Dave M.

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Best photo I have to show you approximately where the core goes...
    [​IMG]

14. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 20 2006, 08:23 AM) [snapback]335560[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Evan. I just went back and found your earlier post of this photo, and it does look like what I saw when I looked up and saw the exhaust manifold. Your photo shows one of the two holes I mentioned earlier, but is obvously from a slightly different angle than I had viewed it. I had printed off your photo earlier, and now I wish that I had carried it under the car with me. In seeing the correct angle, it would probably have given me an indication of where to try to get my hand through.

I may end up doing if from below, but will have to jack up the car higher than I had it to possibly get my arm into the hole. I'll have another look at it this evening. I would prefer not to take the wiper assembly, etc. apart if I can avoid it.

In looking at the jack point in the owner's manual again, I guess it is clear enough, but I'll have to be under the car when positioning it. I'd like to get at least 3 or 4 inches more clearance before trying to reach up to find the correct hole. At it is, I can barely slide under the car without it touching my chest.

Thanks again. Maybe I'll actually get it done this evening.

Dave M.

15. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 20 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]335560[/snapback]</div>
    To clarify a little, Evan's picture is taken from ground level ---UP. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Oct 20 2006, 12:01 PM) [snapback]335587[/snapback]</div>
    To access SAFELY the area from under, you should have it on 2 jacks in ider side, on 2 ramps or on a lift.
    SAFETY precautions are a MUST!!! ;)

16. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Oct 20 2006, 09:38 AM) [snapback]335607[/snapback]</div>

Right. The first time I looked at Evan's picture I wasn't sure of that. But it became apparent later. Now I'll have to get under the car again to see exactly where he had the camera when he took the photo.
    Hopefully that will tell me where to stick my hand through. As I told Evan, I'll have to jack the car up further to have a chance of succeeding. As it is, the front wheels are only 6 inches off the ground when they are on the ramps I have.

Anyway, thanks for the continued support.

Dave M.

17. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Oct 20 2006, 09:45 AM) [snapback]335609[/snapback]</div>

Well, replying to myself, but I've about given up on doing the installation from below the car. That is, unless someone can tell my how to get my elbow past the drive shaft. I'm attaching a photo. I'm sorry for the poor quality, but I couldn't get my camera set on a wide enough angle to hold the camera while I was taking the picture and had to try holding the camera against the ground. If I'd held the camera I would have gotten a picture closer in appear to the one Evan provided.

[attachmentid=5411]

As you look at the photo, you can see what I presume to be the right drive shaft near the top of the image, and beyond that the exhaust manifold, which is also visible in Evan's photo. Below and to the left of the exhaust manifold is the point I should be trying to reach. Below the driveshaft (not physically below, but below in the photo) seems to be the widest entry point to reach the required location. However, I've been unable to get my elbow through that region from any angle I can reach. This is with my right arm as was mentioned by someone here earlier. Going over the top of the drive shaft seems impossible as well.

Is there a better entry location? I can't see one, but clue me in if there is.

I've been in and out from under the car close to a dozen times without any luck.

If no one can tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'll have to remove the wiper assembly and cowling and try to get at it from above.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dave M.

Attached Files:

18. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Oct 21 2006, 08:33 PM) [snapback]336231[/snapback]</div>
    It is a difficult place to work, and by your experience of many times under carriage, you have made your own opinion. Attack the beast from above, the wipers is only 3 nuts, the gutter/cowl only 8 10mm bolts and 2 speed fastners, and by the same token, you can clean it from all debris that acumulates there, and 2 bolts for the relay box, no more than 5 minutes, the same amount of time will take you to drag the jack under the car and pump-it up.
    Working from above is much cleaner and safer. ;)

19. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Oct 21 2006, 06:11 PM) [snapback]336240[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for the quick reply. You've definitely convinced me.

Dave M.

20. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Oct 21 2006, 06:11 PM) [snapback]336240[/snapback]</div>
    Removing the head cap for the left wiper arm and the three nuts is no problem.

However, is there a special puller tool for removing the wiper arms? I've tried tapping on the bolt while pulling up on the wipers with no luck, and I don't want to take the chance of damaging anything. After all, this is the first completely new car I've ever owned. That's after nearly 50 years of driving.

Would a spray lubricant be in order?

Dave M.