1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I figured out how to install my block heater

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bill Lumbergh, Oct 8, 2005.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am impressed at how much pre heating improves milage. I forgot to plug in the timer last night and had to go in cold. My usual commute is almost 10 miles. Without the block heater the first bar on the consumption screen was around 25mpg with step stairs rise till I get to work. The ScanGage shows the car up to 150 or > a little less than 1/2 way there. With the block heater the car is at 150 before I get out on the main road. I have modified my rout recently. I am now going in on roads that are 35mph or 30 mph all the way. Previously I took a rout that was faster 40mph for .4 miles then 50 mph for 3 mile then back down to 40 then 35 then 30. The last 1/3 is the same. With the block heater the first bar is above 50 mpg and progressively up from there. The new rout has some really good opportunities for pulse and glide with some really nice gradual down hills. The block heater eliminates the warm up with temps in the low 50's and 40's. The one day we got the snow flake it was 36 and it did not take much longer (.1-.2 of a mile) to get to max coolant temp.

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, here's a question: if you've stored a bunch of warm coolant
    at a prior shutdown and then have the block heater on, what happens
    at startup? Does all your nicely-warmed block coolant get pumped
    *away*, to possibly be replaced by the stuff from the thermos
    [regardless of whether it's colder or warmer than the block now]?
    Or is the 'puter smart enough to measure both temps first and skip
    the thermos-reload if the block is already warmer?
    I realize that the thermos doesn't warm the entire block, either --
    just enough around the head and cylinders for a lower-emissions
    startup... so how much does the block-heater manage to keep warm?
    _H*

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it pumps regardless but expect the affect on temp is nominal...that coolant in the thermos is supposed to be stored hotter than the block gets with the engine block heater anyway I think.

4. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Hobbit,

My block heater is still pretty new and I don't plug in most days yet, but
    so far with temps in the 40's I see the thermos water cooling the engine when it pumps in after using the block heaater. I might start at 110 degrees drop to 75, and then go back up. The exact drop varies depending on how long since being driven, as well as the coolant temp when you stopped. This can vary a lot from 100 deg to 182 deg.

But I guess because of the heat stored in the engine block, it all warms back up much quicker.

And I vaguely remember somewhere reading the thermos shuts down and doesn't pump at all when it gets really cold, so then the block heater will be even more important.
    I don't remember what temp that happens at, but I don't recall the thermos helping a lot when temps get below 20 degrees F.

Anyway I too see normal 160 or better temperatures much earlier in my commute to work with the block heater than without. I will plug in more when I get my outdoor outlet installed, and plan to always do it when temperatures are below 20 degrees F.

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Thanks Henry that temp data is what I've been waiting to see. The BH almost eliminates the warm up period.

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The pump still works. The temp on start up is 137 it then drops to 110-120 when the thermos is emptied it then rises very quickly 1-2 Min of driving.

7. Frank Hudon

that's what I thought from the CAN-VIEW data on the coolant temp looked like about 115 F (Converted from C) and I had figured that the coolant thermous was likely to cool it a bit but the base temp of the block being higher that it would warm up more quickly. Now if we could only heat the whole ICE to 70C and go right into S4 there would be no hit on mileage at all. What we need is a heater element in the thermous to keep it at 190F if it's temp falls below this threshold. If I recall correctly the boiling point of 50/50 antifreeze is about 218-9 F up to 240F under pressure. So 190F is do-able and would help in the pre-heat mode. If you check after about 4 short start stop cycles the coolant temp in the thermous is way down. So those that do short trips could benifit from a hot motor at startup.

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Amen!!! Now how do I get the hospital and my clinic to provide a plug in for those short trips back and fourth when I am on call?
    :angry:

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get this, I just explored the parking garage area for doctors parking and located the 4 outlets in the area where I usually park!! Looks like the old extension cord will be going in the hatch as soon as it starts getting cool out!

Can't wait to hear what the administrators have to say about that! :lol:

10. Frank Hudon

extension cord, duct tape, medium sized rock, tape cord to rock throw thru clinic window take excess tape and a bit of cardboard and close hole in window. When people finally quit looking at the window go out and plug in the Prius!

11. Frank Hudon

tell them the coffee machine wastes more electicity than your block heater uses! And your a happy doctor and more productive and they should be glad to provide the 10 cents worth of electircity your using. Now your polluting even less than before and so it's even better for the people in your community. All for a lousy dime! How can they not realize the true long term benefits of this simple gesture. Next you know that dummy with the H2 will have a block heater and will be parked in the stall you want. So carry a long extension cord and a cube plug :rolleyes:

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I took a big hit today 4 times back and fourth today and I lost a whole mpg. These short trips kill me in winter!

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I brought along the 100' extension cord to work tonight and plugged in my Prius when I got to work--course I stay for my full 10 hour shift and go home without the repeated back and forth.

BTW, I've got this 7mo primip with chest pain and vomiting in the ER tonight..... :p

14. Frank Hudon

my feelings go out to the woman with the problems and for you having to deal with it, I'm sure it wasn't pleasant. But what was your ICE temp 1 block from work?

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL, I'm actually still at work. Finishing up my last patient before I get to go home. This is the longest I've ever left the heater plugged in so it oughta be toasty.

16. Frank Hudon

in F it will probably be about 115 degrees. Sorry I took it that you had abandoned ship and were going home. Did she hatch or still struggling?

17. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

OK, anybody with a detailed picture (or two) of just exactly where the block heater's receiving hole is??? I just got mine from Toyota Depot and I'm ready to 'engage'. Do I understand it from the other's who have done this that on an '05 the receiving hole goes front to back (free end goes in first and points towards the front of the car, plug end goes in last and faces the rear of the car). Anyone with a mental/verbal or a(n) actual picture(s) to share, please let 'em rip!

Thanks To All,

Ken

18. Frank Hudon

the hole where the bh goes is on the rear of the engine in a conventional car and on a Prius it's between the ICE and MG1 on the firewall side of the ICE. So if your standing at the front of the car and looking at the motor compartment the bh go's in on the back side and inserts right to left in the hole. It's virtually impossible to see where it goes to take a picture. When your done you'll realize why mechanics get the big bucks. But you will have learned one more thing about your car. And you don't have to drain the coolant to do it. Best part.

19. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please find attached picture.

Ken@Japan

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ICE coolant temp was 113 degrees F at READY. By the time I pulled out of the parking lot (about 1 block) it was approaching 130 degrees. I was able to enter EV mode within 100 yards of the parking lot (less than 30 seconds after initial ICE start up.

The patient wasn't in labor, but she did fine and went home.