1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I figured out how to install my block heater

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bill Lumbergh, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the Manitoba gov must be using low electricity rates to attract people and companies there.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

thanks Ken for the data on electicity rates.

3. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

5. dreichla

dreichla New Member

For those of us wanting to know how much electricity the block heaters use (or any other electrical device for that matter), I found two devices in the Smarthome catalog.

Kill a Watt $39.99

Watts Up? $109.99
    Watts being used
    Energy costs in dollars and cents

Watts Up? PRO $149.99
    Same as above but adds:
    Serial interface for computer
    Payback Calculator

I did a quick Google for more technical information and found that these are not the lowest prices.

6. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to hear lots of us are jumping on the not-too-difficult EBH bandwagon.

With temps dropping into the teens here in Anchorage the past couple weeks, I started my EBH timer at 2 hours on, one hour off, with the car plugged in all day long. This way, whenever I need to go somewhere (which is often with little or no forethought), all i do is unplug and the car's been warmed at least within the last hour.

Last couple nights the temps dropped into the single digits under clear skies, so I switched the timer to three hours on, one hour off, still plugged in all day. Looking outside, there's a noticable bare spot where the residual heat is escaping under the left side of the hood. Hopefully this provides adequate warming after the initial start.

I'm getting killed on the MPG this tank.....barely 42.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, this thread's getting long. Good stuff throughout, though.
    Again, the wiper cowling above the engine is not that hard to
    remove, and gives wide-open access to EVERYTHING behind there. It
    is a frequent first step in many repair procedures documented in
    the service manual. There are some pix of the thing taken out
    [and the wipers re-attached afterward, sans plastic screens] at
    http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/naked/
    where doing that enabled seeing much more of the engine, installing
    a clear cover on the inverter, adding the warm-air-intake hose, and
    *would* have made block-heaters a lot easier if I had one at the
    time. Really, the cowling is 8 or 10 easily-accessible bolts' worth.
    Hey Ken, where do you keep getting these amazing pix?
    _H*

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just had an idea! For the next generation of Prius a computer controlled automatic louver that closes on start up and opens dependent on coolant temp, catalytic converter temp, and ambient temp. SAAB did it first but they did many things first, but now Toyota can make it better make it intelligent. Now we need to make Toyota listen. Heat for our friends to the frozen north and yes even here in the 48's. We get some cold temps here. I remember the old roll up lovers in the SAAB and it worked and it can work better!

9. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

I'll take one, or two or 3! As we just got our first snowfall and the temps dipped into the low 30's I'm still not certain to what extent the block heater has contributed increased ICE efficiency. Since this is my first fall with the car and I don't have a baseline measurements, I'll go with the premise that "It can't hurt". And since this is not a coolant circulator, I'm not seeing any quicker warm ups in cabin temp I was hoping for, but then again the morning temps have dropped 15 degrees in the last few weeks.

That brings me to phase 2:

Doee anybody have any pictures/descriptions of how/where/what material they used for the their radiator air block? Please advise as my search of PriusChat didn't return any hits.

Thanks again,

Ken, 'chillin' in Oregon

10. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry about your weather. We, in the tropics of Missouri, are expecting record high temps in the low 80s today!!

Others mentioned using carpet scraps. I actually used one of those silver sun-shades that unfolds or unrolls and cut it to the correct shape/size.

When you open your hood there's a black plastic cover over the area in front of the radiator. It's held in by some simple plastic 'clips' (they look like screws, but they're not exactly). Loosen the 'screws' a little then just pop out the clips and set the plastic piece aside. Now you can slide whatever material you choose to use (it doesn't really matter, a piece of cardboard cut from a box will work fine) behind the bar in front of the radiator. If you want to more carefully position/secure it just use some wire (maybe cut from an old wire coat hanger) and use that.

Others mentioned that they leave the bottom 1/4 of the radiator exposed since it's the radiator for the Inverter and there may be benefit of leaving it cooler.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the hint on the clips when I looked I thought they were screws. I like the idea of the sunshade material.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's a great idea. Actually, HD highway tractors (Peterbilt, Kenworth, Volvo, etc) already have them as standard or optional. They work very well at maintaining an optimal temperature, and even on very warm days if the rig is going downhill or under very light load the louver is closed or partially closed.

Of course the louver would have to "fail open" to protect the motor and inverter components. That is, with power removed the louvers are open, with power applied to the actuator the louvers can cycle to the closed position.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Frank

Oops I missed this reply. The rates may benefit but the higher personal and small business tax does NOT help.

jay

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Doc

That's a good tip but i prefer covering the exterior of the grille, not behind. If you happen to drive in areas with heavy snow, or say you have to push through a snow drift, keeping the exterior of the grille blocked will keep snow out of that area.

If you happen to block off just in front of the rad, and drive through deep snow, that area will fill with snow and it could cause an overheat once the temps get a bit warmer.

Folks around here are savvy enough to check the electric cooling fans or fan clutches before buying a used car or truck. Some folks will bury the car or pickup truck in a snowbank, leave the motor running, and ruin the electric fan motor or burn out the fan clutch.

jay

16. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

Thanks Evan: I've got some corrugagted plastic sheets (like cardboard but made out of plastic) that I've use to make outdoor signs, that I'll be 'recycling' for this purpose and I'll hang it perhaps with a couple of shower hooks for easy removal. Do you think that the top black plastic cover over the radiator is vital, necessary to be reinstalled? If so, why?

Appropo, Jayman's future post, no high snow banks here, so I'll go with the stealth inviso install!

Scan Gauge Next?!? What's the status of that there CAN VIEW???

BTW, I left my EBH on for 4 hours and Whamo! Nearly instant cabin heat (37 degrees F this morn. too!)

Thanks, Ken

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like that'll be perfect for the job. And no, I don't think it's necessary to reinstall the black plastic cover. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they leave theirs out to facilitate any later adjustments of the radiator block....I found the need to adjust mine 2 days post-install and just decided to leave it off. May replace next spring...we'll see.

Likewise, I guess they've got the raised 4x4 version of the Prius up there in Kanuk land, but mine will stay snug in the garage when there's any risk of plowing through any snow banks...I kept my Expedition just for that kind of use.

I've got a Dyno-Scan that works OK, but I'm really wanting the CAN-VIEW...there's a pretty active thread on that and he's going into production for the early adopters who don't have NAV. The w/NAV version still has an unknown availability date.

18. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

Thanks Evan, No Nav Here so I'd be happy to sign up as bleeding, er uh, leading edge of technology beta tester. Who shall I email my interest to?

BTW, on my '05 I can't really see a way to get a radiator block easily into place as there is another plastic shroud under/in front of the 'ToyzAreUs' quality radiator cover. I can take this cover off to do the radiator block install but then I worry about the issues with the ease of removing it/moving it around later. Any ideas?

Thanks,

KenYOregon

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Read this thread through then you'll know the scoop.

http://priuschat.com/CAN-VIEW-Recovered-t11644.html

There's a squarish gap right by where the hood latches that you can force a hand/forearm into and there's some give to the plastic. I then reached my fingers and a stick through the front grill to better position. It takes a little 'doing', but it's not that difficult.

20. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

Thanks Evan:

Did you suspend the radiator block material or somehow keep it from extending all the way to the bottom of the radiator to keep it from blocking the inverter radiator (which I couldn't find or see at the bottom of my radiator - it just looked like one integral radiator with no extra parts or pieces or pipes/tubes at the bottom). Also, does your 'cover' extend across the entire width of the radiator or just partial?

I'll search for one of those accordion reflective sunshades and cut it to size (I passed one on the side of the road a couple of weeks ago and thought of snagging it - being the good recycler that I am), or just go to the hardware store and buy some aluminized bubble pack insulation, but the question still remains about how to keep it up off the bottom and have it somewhat easy to remove.

All thought and tips greatfully appreciated.

All the best,

KenYOregon