1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I got bit yesterday - Red Triangle, CEL, Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CooCooCaChoo, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    4C, even if you did replace that one block you'd still have an eleven year old battery on a low mileage Pri, Imo, you tackled it the right way.

2. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Oh geez. I know how you feel, went from a downtown loft to a house with a garage just so I can work on my 911. My neighbors at the loft were not too happy when I dropped the engine and left in the parking lot :-P

Okay, that block is compromised and causing you to throw the code, most likely P3006, Uneven charging...

The better test is to take a reading under load and charging, this will confirm no other blocks are compromised.

Initially, I thought I had one bad cell but with the detailed TIS load and charge test, I found 3 more suspect cells ( with the generous assist from members here, thank you Gentlemen! ). Will be doing the swap this weekend.

If you are ever in L.A. and feel comfortable driving the car you can use my garage and tools. I would get 3 or 4 cells, just in case. If you don't use them all, you can always sell it or keep them as spares as other will certainly wear low in the future. I would also get a new bus bar with sensor side. The back side can be cleaned.

PM me if you want to take a little vacation down south. :). No worries, No "puts on the lotions..."

#22 DRACO, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  3. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah, I've read a lot about the Prius hybrid battery and how even reconditioning or even replacing the bad cells isn't a sure thing. I plan on keeping this car along time. She only has 126k miles on her and so far has been good to me, which is one of the reasons why I just went ahead and replaced it.

She's got a new lease on life now!

DRACO likes this.