1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I towed a trailer with my Prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by PriumCamper, Jun 18, 2019.

1. PriumCamper

PriumCamper New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello all,

My first post but I have been hanging around for a few years reading up on the Prius and more recently towing with it. We have been tent camping for the last 6 years but only using the Prius for the last 3. Been trying to cut down on weight and large items with various degrees of success. But in the end we were running about 900-950# fully loaded with passengers. and it was always a Tetris game to get it to fit. Plus the back springs were so low I was worried (had the firestone airbags the last 2 years but the tubes recently broke). So I thought trailer. I read pretty much all the posts on here and many elsewhere. Bought the Harbor Freight 1195lb trailer, modified it for my use and voila! Did a 260 mile round trip on mostly interstate. Kept at 60 or below. Checked the freshly greased hubs a few times. Nice and cool. I would say the trailer weighed all in just over 1000lbs. Had a 105lb tongue weight on a Curt hitch and 5" riser from e-trailer. Car ran great, no real issues. It felt stable at speed and handled uphills just fine. Also returned a 39.5mpg. Last year with the roof rack and bike rack I was getting 26-32mpg (admittedly going 70-75mph). Will probably use it 2-3 more times to camp. Otherwise just a few local errands to the stores. Oh and currently at 118,000 miles and had changed the tranny fluid about around 80k miles. Its a 2012 BTW.

Thanks to all here with you previous posts that helped me along the way.

Charles

IMG_20190617_113052776.jpg IMG_20190617_113042835_HDR.jpg IMG_20190615_133728583.jpg

2. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That's a lot of camping gear!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome, well done!(y)

4. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So great to see and read about towing with a Prius. I just installed a hitch from e-trailer on my '07. Have not used it yet, but like to have a hitch just in case. I do not own a trailer and occasionally rent one to do things like buy a snow blower or take my lawn tractor to be serviced. I've been reading so much conflicting info on towing with a Prius, but in the end decided to install the hitch and use it if and when I need it. At the very least I like to use a hitch bike rack to carry three bikes. I find it so much better than the one you hang on the car's hatch.

The trailer looks awesome and now I am thinking I should buy one...

marvingloria2011 likes this.
  5. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I towed a canam 3 wheeler for twelve hours straight,on my way back it not a single drop on the dipstick so check your oil

Montgomery and marvingloria2011 like this.
  6. PriumCamper

PriumCamper New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You totally should! It was a fun project. Lots of info out there on ways to customize the trailer.

Ohh, has not thought of that. I will check tonight and report back. I had checked the weekend before and all was well.

Yeah, guilty. We tend to glamp. Tent, bags, pads, popup awning, cooler, food bin, kitchen bin, stoves, water jug (empty). Bike and scooter for the Kid. Chairs for fire-pit. Beach chairs. Oh and clothes. Sometimes even a dorm-room fridge for week long camping.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

#6 PriumCamper, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2019
    marvingloria2011 likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the same trailer... I wasn't comfortable with it on freeways, just around town. I also removed the back 4' x 4' part of the trailer and screwed down two 2x12 boards in place of them, which made trailer lighter and quieter and more chill to drive, but have to load heavy in back part to keep tongue weight down.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Towed many times myself and the receiver/harness remains installed. Just remember that towing with a Prius lands you in the severe duty cycle category when it comes to maintenance.

PriumCamper and VFerdman like this.
  9. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My towing needs would be very occasional. I do not own a trailer and so far do not plan on buying one. I just want to be able to rent a trailer and get something done with it like deliver a snow blower or a lawn tractor. This does not happen much, but when it does the hitch receiver sure comes in handy. I had one on my Volvos and sure was glad when it came time to use one. This is why I bought and installed a hitch receiver and harness on my Prius.

PriumCamper and jb in NE like this.
  10. PriumCamper

PriumCamper New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK checked the dipstick. All good here. Thanks for the reminder.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got darn close to doing this myself, recently. Good to know that it can actually be safely done! :D