1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I tried to convince my nephew to buy a prius...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Ashlem, Oct 7, 2014.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Comfortable enough for multi-thousand mile drives straight and spacious enough to haul a full bathtub in the back with the seats down or 180cm skis without having to put them outside...

I bought the Prius because I thought the tech was cool and it was friendlier to the environment.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've said it for years. But I think for someone to purchase a hybrid and keep a hybrid for any significant length of time, they have to WANT a hybrid. That means to me, they need to value the operational differences that having a hybrid represent. Primarily the fuel efficiency a hybrid offers.

If that isn't THE top priority, then YES...there are many regular ICE vehicles that are perfectly viable, and will offer a different package of extra's.

My brother just recently got a pretty loaded Ford Escape. He was showing off all the bells and whistles it had. When he finished, I asked him if it turned off the engine when it was stopped. ----No was his answer.

If that level of efficiency isn't important to you? You probably won't end up with a hybrid or Prius.

I like that MY car does things that 99% of the vehicles on the road don't do...or can't do...despite any package of extra's they might have.

3. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I went thru the same process of deciding/calculating the cost difference between a regular ICE car and a hybrid (a civic was one of those i considered).

It really all boils down to preference because I went with it in reverse to your nephews reasoning.

When I was finally convinced the initial higher price of a Prius will be offset by the gas savings in the years to come and end up costing the same as the regular ICE car, Then i went ahead and bought the Prius. Had it cost even the slightest more, i'd have gone with the civic. Thank God it wasn't whew!...

4. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I was young, there was no way I would have considered a Prius, but then I never would have considered a Civic either, growing up in the muscle car era. :) Assuming I wouldn't be any smarter, I honestly don't now what I'd buy today if I were young and on a $20k budget, but a Civic would most likely be in the running simply because there isn't much out there in the sub-$20k range with the reputation of a Civic. Mind you, I still don't like "small" cars no matter how much they outperform the 1970 GTO I used to have. I bought the Prius simply because I am now interested in mileage, not "hot rod" performance. For me, it is comfortable, it is spacious, within its class, and it is more utilitarian than others because of the hatchback design. Yesterday I drove my Dakota for the first time in over a month and I found myself longing for the regen braking of the Prius and the slow responsiveness of the Prius accelerator. I also drove a Hyundai Sonata Sport Turbo while on vacation and didn't enjoy it either, though the darned thing is "fast". I guess I've gotten too used to the Phoenix traffic where there simply is no reason to be in a hurry to get to the next red light. :)

Anyway, I hope your nephew gets many years of enjoyment out of his Civic.

5. frhoads

frhoads Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just got rid of a 2011 MiniCooper S Convertible for a 2014 Prius Three.

The Prius is not quite as much fun to drive, but the Mini was needing expensive repairs at 80K miles. I am expecting the Prius to do better. And I like getting 45+ mpg rather than 32+.

If the Prius does not live up to its reliability billing, my next port of call may be Honda :) But I am hoping not to find out for a few miles :)

I actually like the Prius' design, comfort and styling. I would be willing to give back a few mpg for a little more power, but fuel economy and reliability matter to me more than acceleration.

After 900 miles, I'm pretty happy with Data

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you consider how much money in fuel the nephew is wasting over the lifetime of the car, all I can say is "that is one expensive moon roof."

EM makes a valid point though: people want to like their car, and not everyone appreciates a hybrid's differences. Then again, most people are fairly reactionary, and stay with what they know and their friends like. They need more expensive fuel to help them get out of their box.

DoubleDAZ likes this.
  7. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    He's only 22, so he's at that age where he needs to be seen with a "cool" vehicle, and I guess the prius isn't "cool" enough. Several co-workers wondered why he didn't just buy the SI, or at least a 2-door coupe.

Fortunately he at least had enough sensibility not to get the Civic SI, as I think insurance companies consider it a higher risk car due to other people tending to get into accidents with them, and his rate was going to go up anyway since he got into an accident with his previous car (hit a pothole, then lost control and hit a parked car. The streets where he lives is narrow, and the cop that arrived didn't ticket him due to the pothole).

And my mantra of "high gas prices will suck" at least convinced him not to get an SUV. He considered AWD for winter driving, and I told him good snow tires beats AWD w/o snow tires, and when the weather doesn't suck, the civic will get better mpg than a Rav4 or CRV.

Incidentally, shortly after we left the credit union after obtaining the check for the dealership, a school bus was getting ready to run a red light shortly after I was in the intersection. Fortunately both of us were going slow enough that we avoided an accident. But wow, I guess a red light is just a suggestion to some people, kind of like a few months back when someone who had a red light drove through the intersection anyway while I was about to cross it. I might need to invest in a dashcam.

8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree about the overpriced used Prius situation, but how does it relate to the said stigma?

LOL, clearly not his fault for loosing control after hitting a pothole! He needs to watch his speedometer a bit.

9. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did he actually test drive a Prius (or yours)? Did he consider a Prius C?

I personally can't stand sedans, hybrid or not. Hatchbacks/wagons generally have much more flexibility when it comes to utility.

10. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I had him drive my prius to the credit union and to the various dealerships so he could get a feel for how a prius drives, both on city streets and on the freeway. I suspect he had the preconceived notion that since the prius can't do 0-60 in 6 seconds or less, it automatically sucks. Never mind that the civic short of an SI can't do it either. But when you're a young guy, surrounded by other young guys who talk about fast cars a lot, it can be hard to sell the advantages of a non-Tesla ev or hybrid to them.

He showed me his Integra, and the right front side of the car was pretty badly damaged or missing, suggesting he was probably going somewhat fast. Hopefully he learned his lesson and doesn't do that with the civic, especially with it being brand new and insurance going up as a result of his accident.

He did drive my brother's Prius c, but didn't like how slow the acceleration was, and being a bigger guy, said he felt slightly cramped in it.

I also teased him mercilessly when he complained that the prius liftback somehow wouldn't have enough room for his fishing gear, but was okay with the civic's tiny trunk. But in the end I didn't want to seem like I was forcing him to buy a car he may not of wanted.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My opinion: Taking out debt to buy a car and then demanding showy features like a moonroof are the actions of a fool. At least he has lots of company.

12. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    This may sound strange....

But when I was considering the Prius and the Civic as big a gamble as i felt about the Toyota Hybrid system, I still felt it was more proven than the Civic's new CVT.