1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I'm about to lose my right foot.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TJandGENESIS, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I'm officially old but didn't have to lose a toe.

I have an AARP card. And gray hair.

And I can wear a purple dress with a red hat if I feel like it.

2. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    She is. 15 years now in marriage. 16 I have known her.

3. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes.

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Starch sugar and butter. That'll help his diabetes. Send him some apples.

5. Loveit

Loveit New Member

TJ, tell Ellen we said "Hi!" and we are definitely keeping you two in prayer. I am glad that you are home now. Take care TJ!

6. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here you are TJ...

[​IMG]

Your very own muffin tower!

7. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    What a tease!

PS Glad you're home TJ. Lets pretend those are sugar free.

8. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mmm Muffins.

The foot is not any worse for the wear. Seems to be coming along.

9. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As a Update, I can Shower now! Woo Hoo!

The foot doc says the foot looks fine, the color is fine, and about two more weeks of having to bandage it.

Yeah!

10. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    T.J.--That's great to hear. Keep up the good work. You're still in my prayers. (Janis, those minimuffins look yummy...I have a treat tower just like that)

11. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So glad to hear you're doing well TJ. Bet you took a nice loooooooooong shower! I sure hope you threw the boots away that caused the toe problem in the first place.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Somehow I didn't notice this thread before. Maybe because I was gone when it started.

I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal, TJ, but I'm glad you didn't lose the foot after all. Do please take better care of yourself from now on.

13. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually, I have them still. Haven't been able to wear them, of course. Not sure if I will ever be able to again. I just started to wear these New Balance sneakers with Velcro straps (very 1980's), since I can't wear shoes with laces yet (can't tie them tight, with the bandage still on the foot)...Can't wait to get back to my Chucks!

14. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Daniel. Taking care of myself, is not so much the problem, as it avoiding losing any more parts. There was this young lady, at the foot doc the other day, who I only saw from the torso up, at first. She is young, pretty, and since I could not avoid overhearing her conversation, she had lost her left leg to diabetics. Young, pretty, not fat, and still, there you go. So it can happen to anyone.

15. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    TJ, first off I'm 100% behind you and wish you all the best. I know somewhat of what you're going through. Have a seat, let me tell you a story...

My Dad had diabetes, untreated for years. One day I hear that he's having trouble driving and walking. He went to the doctor and they found a dime size hole in his big toe. Same as you, lost feeling in his feet and legs swelled up. They took both big toes and the second toe on his right foot. All was going good for a year or 2, so we thought. Then in 90 he went to the doc because his legs swelled up again. They did some tests and found an inch layer of fat around his heart, so says the doctor. It was constricting and not letting the heart pump efficiently so his limbs were dieing. The plan was to go in and cut some strips away from the heart to give it some room. During surgery they found the fat was actually in the heart muscles and difficult to remove. As surgery went on they also found cancer. Doc gave him 6 weeks. 4 weeks into rehab they said he's doing better and gave him another 3 months. Almost 6 weeks to the day my Dad sat up in his hospital bed, had a heart attack and was dead before he hit the pillow. That was 4 days after Christmas. He was 45

I absolutely do not wish this to anyone, but please don't think it's over. Stay healthy and take care of yourself.

16. John CCP

John CCP New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    TJ,
    I've had three hip replacement surgeries, so I know you can purchase elastic shoe laces and a long shoehorn, from a medical supply house, to allow you to slide your foot into your New Balance sneakers or any other shoes you want to wear! After the bandage comes off, they can be adjusted.
    John

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Taking care of yourself is an important part of "avoiding losing any more parts"! Anyway, I wish you the best.

18. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    SO, July 3rd, I put out this grease fire that my buddy Keith started, (he started it by accident, BTW), and in doing so, some hot grease hit my lower right leg. I didn't even notice right away. No feeling below the knee with me. Anyway. I treated it about three hours later when I noticed it. And went to see my doc about it last Monday the 6th, and he prescribed a ointment for it, not an over the counter deal, and told me to come back in a week. That would be today.

First thing he says when he sees it, 'Oh, that doesn't look good.' Which is never a good thing to hear from your doctor. Tells me now I have to go to the North Texas Wound Center, where, I have a better then 90% chance I will lose the lower part of my right leg.

Of course, they will try to fix it, and he put me on an antibiotic, but I have been down this road before when I lost my pinky toe.

So now I either have to learn to drive with my left foot only, or get the car outfitted with handles, which I have seen on a Mustang; just not sure how much that will cost. Plus there is the joy of eventually getting a false limb.

There is a lesson or two here: First, don't be a diabetic if you can avoid it. Stop consuming lots of high fructose corn syrup. Avoid sugars. I never was a fan of candy/cake/sweet things, but I used to LOVE Coke.

Second lesson: If you have a grill, like a gas grill, make sure you clean it really well and often. The whole reason I got this burn was because my buddy did not clean the grill often, and even though he thought it was 'clean' because he would 'burn off' the grill before cooking, the rest of the grill, the sides, the lower part where the grease collects, inside the top of the grill where grease can also collect, well, that is fuel for a grease fire. I have seen it, and now have to deal with the results.

I'll let you know what happens.

19. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm so sorry to hear that TJ.

20. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius