1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I'm about to lose my right foot.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TJandGENESIS, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Dipena

Dipena Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Honey, when will you learn to get your limbs seen to RIGHT AWAY if there is a problem? Now, I'm hoping and praying that you will not have to have an amputation, and that you will have another chance to take better care of yourself. Are you controlling your blood sugars?

Just make sure you are getting the best possible care and we will all send our fond hopes and prayers your way.

1 person likes this.
  2. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, like I said, I did not notice right away. I seriously don't feel anything below the knees. When I noticed, I did put ointment on it. And I saw my foot doc as soon as i could on Monday.

No health insurance, so no money for emergency rooms.

I'm on insulin; my numbers are in the upper 80's to lower 90's. And it still seems to be a gigantic waste of time, if even after taking care of one's self, one can still lose a limb this easy.

I went to site for the place I have to go to on Wednesday, and if I understand it correctly, the treatment plan is a daily deal for three weeks. Now, if that costs $$$, I may have no choice but to lop of the leg, as it may be cheaper in the long run.

It may seem crass, but that's the facts. No point in avoiding the harsh realities of NOT having health insurance.

Thanks for the concerns everyone.

3. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You could head to India or Thailand for treatment at 80% less cost.
    Do a Google search.

1 person likes this.
  4. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I do like Thai food....

BUT, something tells me it will still be expensive.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't be quite so pessemistic here...and a glance at the front end of the thread will remind you that I shoot pretty straight.
    While it's certainly possible that this thing will get worse and you could lose the leg I suspect that they'll do some aggressive debridement and skin grafting and you'll end up with an ugly scar and a slow healing wound, but keep the leg/foot. The blood flow, even in a bad diabetic, is much better above the ankle than below and it takes a pretty serious infection deeply involving the bone to push them to an amputation.

1 person likes this.
  6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry to hear about your leg, TJ. I wish you the best. If it comes to going overseas for treatment, consider Cuba. Much closer than Thailand or India, and they have a first-rate medical system. I believe they've gotten into the medical tourism business since the fall of the Soviet Union cut off their economic subsidies. And the Cubans are wonderful, friendly people.

2 people like this.
  7. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    +n. Nothing like living the experience of no health insurance.... Cuba might be an option.

1 person likes this.
  8. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here is another hope that TJ keeps his leg/foot.

1 person likes this.
  9. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    TJ, I hope you will be repaired so you can visit Red Neck Heaven in BOAZ. I watched a documentary from Japan not too long ago. It was about a man who already lost his left leg to diabetes. He was about to lose his right one below the knee. He was lucky in that his hospital was conducting stem cell research. They took his own bone marrow from his hip and IV'd it through his arm. Within weeks the leg healed itself and he was able to walk on it. They also showed what it did to the brain of a man who lost the use of his right side from a stroke. It repaired all the dead blood vessels and he was not only able to stand up but walk again.But the US will never allow this because of religious beliefs.

1 person likes this.
  10. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    sorry, a repeat

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oh s#!+!!
    Bloody heel TJ, you get more than your share of physical grief.
    I hope it all goes well mate.

1 person likes this.
  12. nascrlvr

nascrlvr nascrlvr

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    TJ....I'm new to this thread, too. I am so sorry to hear about this. Take heart in what Evan says; he is a straight-shooter. My thought and prayers go out to you....

1 person likes this.
  13. Dipena

Dipena Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm sorry for lecturing, TJ, I forgot about the no insurance situation. I am sorry about that--it changes everything. Well, I said some big prayers for your leg last night. Good luck with everything.

1 person likes this.
  14. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I hope so but I am always ready for the worse. And again, it also comes down to money. Got to add it all up.

Health care should be a priority in this country, but I fear that I'll never see that issue tackled in my lifetime.

Of course at this rate, my lifetime may be shorter then expected...I feel like it's a disease that's eating me from the foot up.

15. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't understand this?

1 person likes this.
  16. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here in the states, if you go to the emergency room, and have no insurance, you pay top dollar. When I got this injury it was late Friday night; my foot doctor would not be in his office until Monday. And the cost of going to an emergency room, not to mention how horrible they tend to be, would have cost much money.

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear of your continuing health problems, TJ. Still, the sickest part is that the level of healthcare depends on the size of your bank account. Those of us from civilised - sorry, I mean communist :rolleyes: - countries have trouble understanding this. When you're sick, you go to the doctor. Money has nothing to do with it.

1 person likes this.
  18. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wish it was that way here. It sucks that you have to spend money just to be healthy. What a seriously backwards country this is, and no, I'm not kidding. We will spend $1.5 MILLION in public dollars to bury a 'pop king' but we won't take care of real people with real health issues.

19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's a question of priorities: Killing people costs so much money that we have nothing left for health care.

2 people like this.
  20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    60 minutes did a piece on Cuban health care... Michael Moore did also i believe. both rated the quality of service very high.