1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I've taken my 2010 across the country

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cyclopathic, Sep 5, 2014.

1. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I really enjoyed the walk around the base of Devil's Tower on the paved path. I'm not much of a hiker, so I didn't try any of the other trails, but Devil's Tower is unlike any structure I've ever seen and it's not just another big hill. It's so unique, it made me want to take of climbing. Even if you don't have time this trip, I'd definitely put it on my list for the future. We almost didn't go because so many told us it was just a big hill, but it was the highlight of the trip, even over Rushmore, etc. I could just imagine all those spaceships from Close Encounters and almost hear the music. :)

2. PetesPrius2015

PetesPrius2015 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Many interesting comments & observations! Have just completed several trips to Seattle in our new P5 (17" wheels & stiffer tires than standard Prius), over the last 2 months, I think the handling & steering are quite good. No, it's not a Porsche, but it certainly handles better than a lot of small cars I have driven. Regarding the travel over Snoqualmie pass, mileage varied from a low of 37mpg to a high of 47mpg, depending mostly on my speed (~75) and the wind. Never felt any loss of power, but we were not carrying cargo. There are better cars for long trips, but we don't do many. All things considered, this car does all we want or need, and it's fun filling up 6 gallons while the pickup driver next stall up pumps his hundred bucks worth.

3. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

This is so true. Lol.

I rented a 2015 Durango limited on my SoCal vacation last month for a week. It took $100 to fill the damn thing!! Ouch!

I then wanted to swap the Durango for a new Tahoe just to see how it drove for the last few days. As I have never driven one.... Well they only had a Land Yacht Suburban that I accepted (good to throw the boogie boards and surf stuff into) I managed 13 mpg for the rest of the week. Lol. Oh well it was a vac...

4. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I agree about the handling. I guess it all depends on what you are used to. I have been driving the Prius around town, including some highway miles, and I'll be darned if the car doesn't seem to handle better than our 2012 Hyundai Sonata. Granted, the Sonata is NOT known for it's handling. In fact, it is one of it's big weaknesses. The Sonata does great on highway trips though.

I am doing a 'test' run of the Prius up to Duluth, MN this coming weekend. If all goes well, it will be the car my son and I will take on our hiking trip to Yellowstone ( see posts above for info about that ).

5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I drove Sonata back in 2012, and while there was excessive body roll it held road reasonably well. Of cause our Gen3 was better at that point as it had some additional bits installed (rear anti-sway bar, braces). I was pretty happy with it until got into mountain switchbacks. So it isn't as much about being used to, it is also about what you drive on. Even the best handling car would mean nothing if you drive in straight line all the time.

$20 camber kit made all the difference. I test drove new Mazda3 recently, one of the better handling cars in segment, and Prius was on par or better, despite having smaller tires (195/65R15 vs 201/60R16).

6. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Exactly. However, believe me, one of the major areas of discussion on the Sonata boards is poor handling in general and how to fix it. Many Sonata owners complain about major 'highway wander', even in a straight line. ;) Of course, being a newbie here, I get the impression that the Prius has the same problem.

I'll have to see how the Prius does on the switchbacks when we hit the east side of the Bighorns on our upcoming trip. After we get back, I'll have to look into that camber kit, etc...Way off subject, but do you have a link to that ( PM me if you get a moment ).

7. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    the "wander" is usually attributed to straight rain grooves on tires and the way belt was layered.. easy fix, just replace tires. Better yet pump front/lower back pressure, overinflated rear tires will exacerbate problem. I keep 4psi difference.

Bighorn and Beartooth should not be a problem, while there are some switchbacks stock Prius will handle it; just slow down. It may not be as much fun but it isn't as bad as driving Pacific Coast Hwy from LA to Crescent City in one day :(

Let me know if you decide to upgrade and need suggestions. You don't have to change much to be able to wring every last ounce of performance from LRR tires.

8. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Going through Beartooth and down the Pacific Coast, I had my tires at 40/38 and didn't notice any undue wander. I now have them set at 37/37 and have noticed a little wander along I-10 between Phoenix and Savannah. It wasn't constant though, so I don't know if it's the front/back pressure being the same or just the road surfaces. I never associated tire pressure differences with tracking, so I may try 37/35 on the way back. The ride is noticeably less harsh with the 37/37 than it was with the 40/38 and mileage doesn't seem to have suffered even after I removed the wheel covers too.

9. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes softer front tire and harder rear will make car wonder more. I run 42/38 front/rear, but basically you wanna eyeball it to see front and rear sag about the same. If you wanna keep pressure lower try 38/34.

10. PetesPrius2015

PetesPrius2015 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, I had a Chevy van for a while (1982-83) and I still remember my first fill-up, that thing got about 14mpg. But I loved its effortless power and towing ability for the boat. Reality set in and it was traded for a used VW Dasher-certainly the most defects of any car I ever owned and at ~25 mpg didn't do very well that way either! That's when I "went Japanese" (Honda)
    Fun to recall those old times. Thanks Bliz

11. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The reason I'm running the same pressure front/rear on our trips now is because the rear is loaded down with luggage, etc. It's not really even wandering, just a slightly different "feel" on some roads with the lower pressure. It's not like I'm having to work at keeping the car tracking straight or anything. So far, all my mpg readings have been higher than the last time we drove I-10, but I don't know how much impact the ambient temperature now vs February has had. I haven't filled up yet, but the mpg between Macon and Ft Stewart is running several mpg above what it did in June. Then CONS was 51.9 and calculated was 49.5 mpg over the 370+ miles I drove then, average speed was only 39. This time I filled up in Dublin (56 miles this side of Macon, but the same highway) and CONS is currently reading over 56. I'll be able to compare more directly after I've driven the local miles to more closely match what I drove in June. I know it's not scientific, but the data I've go to far seems to be telling me that lowering the pressure a bit for a better ride and taking off the wheel covers have not unduly impacted mpg. That's not to say mpg might not have been higher if I was still using 40/38 and the covers, just that I'm happy with what I'm getting at the moment.

12. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Yep..higher PSI in the front tires is exactly what I did to help the Sonata. It isn't perfect, but it certainly helps.

I am doing the same in the Prius and it also helps...but again is far from perfect.

13. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I get 51-53mpg on Hwy can't beat that !! The only down fall is deep snow but with good tires it helps

14. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think we got 51MPG calculated for entire trip. This is with interstate driving in zones with 65-80MPH speed limits, going over Sierras and continental divide multiple times, with 4 people and trunk full of camping gear.

15. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm in Flat Lander country

16. euhysh

euhysh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just did a road trip from Orange County to San Francisco which was about 430 miles and a 6 hour drive. 1 passenger and less than 30 pounds of luggage with Ecopias at 40psi all around. Prius did great, but it took the entire tank to get there. By the time we reached our destination, my car had hit one bar. so I had a few gallons left. I would say 80% of the trip I was travelling about 90 mph on the straights. Two mountain areas to get through as well. Anyone know what the RPM's are at at 90?

17. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

90mph most the trip. Wow!!

Oh and pls don't leave us in suspense. What was your mpg on that cannonball run like trip!!! Lol.

#57 Blizzard_Persona, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  18. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When it hits 1 bar you are looking at ~9gal. 430mi/9gal = ~48MPG
    Took me the whole day on PCH ;)
    I will check but not soon at 90MPH you looking for reckless driving ticket around here.