1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So long Pip; Hello Prime

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by crewdog, Nov 24, 2016.

1. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Got the word yesterday that my new Prime will be available for delivery on Saturday.

Fwiw, dealer allowing top end of private sale Kelly blue book value for trade-in.

Had 4 1/2 years of great mileage in the Pip with no maintenance issues, and hope everyone else has the same experience.

Here's the Fuelly stats for lifetime of vehicle; kept track of kwh in notes section of each fill up.

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

2. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Great run with the PiP! Your stats are meticulous. But they illustrate the wide variation in the "advantages" of charging. Looking at your penultimate fill-up (#74), we see that using 72 kWh saved 6 gallons of fuel. In my NY suburb, gasoline costs about $2.20/gallon, so 6 gallons are $13.20. But even at the low rate charged by the fully-renewable sources in my community-aggregation ESCO, I would pay $16.37 for that 72 kWh. My solar panels do not fully cover my home's energy use, so I have no "excess" electricity to use up. I still charge my car to reduce carbon emissions, but it's not economical in the short term. If I had a Prime, or the pure EV car I hope to have someday, my "contribution" to the environment would be proportionately greater. Wish I could tax-deduct it like other contributions!

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats crewdog, see you on the flip side!:p

4. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Our electric rate is 11 cents/kwh with taxes so I paid $7.92 for 72 kwh.

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    that is an exceptional electric rate

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    (Edit to add something important: Congrats on the Prime!!)
    As long as we stay under 1,000 kwh/month (and we've never gone over in the 2-1/4 years we've lived here), our rate is about 9.6 cents per kwh. So those 72 kwh would have cost us $6.48. Thinking seriously about swapping the ol' 2005 for a '13 PiP available here. Even at our prices, payback will be slow, but then again, I'll have a much newer car on top of that.