1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SO many choices!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by savannahsixt, Mar 16, 2005.

1. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hatfield\";p=\"73182)</div>
    I haven't actually tried this - how does this work? Say you're stuck in traffic and say, "this sucks!" How do you quickly find an alternate route? Is it assumed that you've already set a destination, and you just get off the freeway and start driving and let the NAV lady adapt? Do you take the trouble to specify the freeway that's jammed as an area to avoid? I'd be very curious to learn new techniques to using the NAV system to get out of traffic jams.
    [/b][/quote]

Usually I lookand navigate on the map manually and see if a sidestreet leads to an outlet away or around the jam, but sometimes I use the detour feature as DGStan mentioned. You do have to have a destination set, but just quickly set one way ahead of where you are, then ask it to detour. I forget the exact buttons to push to select detour.

2. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

Another 'trick' I enjoyed one day with my NAV....
    After having driven 45 min. in a rain storm to a store I knew, I arrived to find that the parking lot was practically empty. Stores not open yet or just a really slow day due to the weather and it was a Wed. ? I consulted my NAV system, entering in the store name and then the info button. Up popped the address AND phone number. While I sat warm and dry in my car, I called and asked if they were open first. Hey! It was raining really hard! I don't have a BT phone yet so I don't know anything about that.
    The HomeLink system can also be set up to turn on lights inside your home and other remote systems.

3. Hatfield

Hatfield New Member

Went up to LA this weekend and used the Detour feature for the first time. And the second time. And a third time. I didn't even know about this before, but the Detour function is awesome! Managed to successfully bail out of three traffic jams with it.

We also gave the Nav Lady a name. She is now known as Martina, short for Martina NAVritolova!

4. savannahsixt

savannahsixt New Member

man, i feel like I am the only one who is having such a terrible time making a decision as to which package I will get. I have pretty much decided that the #6 is just too expensive right now. So now I am struggling between #4 and #5!
    1. I am not sure really what the VSC does exactly and since I dont have it on my current car I am not sure I will miss it.
    2. What is the difference bewteen the listed smart key system of #3 and 4 as opposed to the "universal transciever and smart key system" of#2, #5 and #6???
    3. What exactly is the anti-theft system in #5 consist of? I am used to having a security system which would sound the horn if someone tried to break in. Is this all it is or something fancier?

Those are the only things now that i am not fully understanding. I wonder why an explanation of these options is not on the Prius website.
    As always, thanks you for letting me pick you brains and help me with my decision. i think my husband (and the dealer) are ready to kill me b/c I cant make up my mind what I want!
    L. Sixt

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

1. VSC also known by ESC was described and acclaimed by latest Consumer's Reports issue. It will help correct excees yaw in skids due to under or oversteering. Basically enhances ABS by detecting your indended turn using a steering position sensor, detecting the yaw of the car by the YAW ECU, and applying the brakes appropriately. It will also attempt to correct your steering using the electric power steering. You normally won't miss it any more than you would miss ABS or airbags, but when you do need it, you'll REALLY miss it.

2. Sounds the same to me. Smart Key is Smart Key. This is not a necessity. but very addictive and cool. You never have to touch your fob, just have it on you, and you can unlock and turn on the car.

3. All the cars come with antitheft hardware, however some packages have it turned off. Someone with a Toyota scantool can re-activate it if they know the secret.

6. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hatfield\";p=\"74217)</div>
    mine's Feliz, short for Feliz NAVidad. (This dad got his a couple of days before Christmas.) I like to bug my family by acting even more dorky than I am.

7. savannahsixt

savannahsixt New Member

DanMan,
    So you are saying that no matter what package I get it will have the antitheft system. So I can get #4 and just have it turned on at the dealership after the fact?? So basically I am getting it for free and then just paying the cost of having it turned on? What do you think this would cost?
    It appears buy the listing of options that the antitheft comes with the auto dimming mirror, is it neccesary to get this mirror to have the antitheft work? Sounds like a silly question, but you never know. It sounds even sillier to me that someone might get a package just becasue it has the antitheft when they could have saved a lot of money and just had it turned on later.

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

No, you don't need the mirror to have the alarm, just comes turned on with the package.

Kyle has a post on what a tech needs to do to turn the alarm on. If you have a great dealer, they may do it for free. If not, then they will charge you, or not believe you and charge you for RS3200 (which is what is already in the car). You might have to concede to purchase Glass Breakage Sensor, which also has instructions on how to turn on the alarm as well as turning on the ability to accept the added sensor's input.

The antitheft smarts is built into the Body ECU. I had really doubted Toyota would have a separate part number for that ECU only for the alarm, and Kyle proved me right. The only thing they (Toyota) could justify adding for the alarm would be the separate alarm horn, but the regular horn sounds with the alarm anyway. I believe the alarm horn is included in all the Prius anyway.