1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So many lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Grlgamer89, May 22, 2020.

1. Grlgamer89

Grlgamer89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Hi everyone! This is my first post. Sorry if it’s in the wrong place but I need help and I haven’t been able to find a solution to my issues.

There’s a big red triangle on the dash, the little red car is on the screen.The problem warning flashes and beeps when turning left and when braking and when driving. Basically all the time. The car isn’t accelerating properly and sometimes won’t go over 24mph.

the battery is always on green or red never blue. The (battery?) fan in the back seat is on and going constantly.

All of these issues happened at the same time. She has about 280,000 miles. I replaced the inverted pump about 6 months ago.

The acceleration issues started when auto zone hooked up the code reader. The codes I got were u0293 and u0111.

The 12v battery is reading 11.7

2. Grlgamer89

Grlgamer89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The check engine light is also in and when the car is turned off it sounds like my engine is growling at me

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    When was the last time you checked/changed the fluids? (oil, etc.)
    It does sound like the HV battery has failed, as the HV fan in on and you can drive/crawl around in turtle mode. Please don't go out and buy a used/reconditioned battery, as that will most likely put you back in the position you're in currently.

If you have an interest in learning more about the issues at hand, find a toyota hybrid compatible obd2 code scanner, most shops have loaners or can scan the vehicle for free, but not all shops have a scanner that is compatible, so try them all and then write down all of the codes found.

If you have some time and money, pick up a OBD2 bluetooth adapter online, and a copy of Dr Prius or Hybrid Assistant. Read this webpage to make sure you purchase a higher quality compatible device : Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

If you (or a trusted mechanic) has an interest in using the same OBD2 diagnostic software that the dealership uses and in turn will charge you for, then you'll need a mini-vci cable ($20) and a copy of techstream, which also requires a windows device that has a usb port.

Once you have the proper codes (DTCs), post them here for additional guidance including possible DIY solutions.

Grlgamer89 and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Grlgamer89

Grlgamer89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a desktop will that do the job do will I NEED a laptop?

I’ve ordered a Bluetooth adapter. It should be here tomorrow.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it has to be compatible with the software, and you need to be able to put it in the car.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've seen some dongles that use WiFi rather than Bluetooth. Longer range to reach the desktop? :)

I'm not sure any of the WiFi ones have J2534 drivers though; that's the kind the Techstream software requires. Maybe they're out there.

7. Berch1943

Berch1943 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You could try getting one of those usb extension cables

8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Before jumping into techstream, try the recently purchased OBD2 adapter with Dr Prius or Hybrid Assistant app on the appropriate device.

How loud is the engine growling sound?

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In case you missed it earlier, you really need to add oil to the car. From the sounds of it (RTOD when cornering and stopping, etc) you are VERY low on oil...…………...

The RTOD, red bars and green bars and fan running all the time are all good indicators that you have a HV battery issue. A bad HV battery makes acceleration almost non-existent. Also the 24 mph issue, lol, can be a good indicator of the battery failing. Unfortunately, this pales in comparison to running the engine with no oil in it...….

Data Daedalus and Grlgamer89 like this.
  10. Grlgamer89

Grlgamer89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    i have added oil to the car 4 quarts. It was empty. It burn oil so fast I lose track sometimes. I’ve never had a car that burns so much oil.

It’s a low growling sound. Like she’s exhausted and happy to be turned off.

#10 Grlgamer89, May 27, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2020
    SFO likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much money are you willing to invest in a 15 year old car with almost 300,000 miles?

12. Grlgamer89

Grlgamer89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I need my car so I’m thinking if it’s less than the price of a new car then...that much for sure.

#12 Grlgamer89, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
  13. Grlgamer89

Grlgamer89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    the codes that came up are

p3000, p3019, p3020 and cc293

14. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to clarify, which OBD2 adapter and App are you using to retrieve these DTCs with?

DTCs P3000, P3019 and P3020 point towards a failed/failing HV battery. There are at least two (2) modules (of 28) that are reporting low voltage (P3019, P3020) and will need to be replaced. There could be other modules that are also on the edge of failing. Though it won't fix the above problem, now would be a great time to clean the HV battery fan in the back of the vehicle, and will get you steps closer to the HV battery at the same time. There are a bunch threads that describe replacing modules, and cleaning the HV fan.

Any idea if this HV battery is the original, and still in an untouched state?

Are you a DIY type of person, or know someone who is? (if unsure, watch any of the 'how to' replace a prius battery module videos)

Assuming you meant DTC U0293, you might find minor relief in this thread : U0293 Lost Comm w/ Hybrid Powertrain Control Module | PriusChat

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Grlgamer89

Grlgamer89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I’m using the BAFX 34t5 Bluetooth with the Dr. Prius app.

The battery is the original.

I’m definitely a diy person. I love to cut costs.

Thanx so much for all the help. This is looking like quite the summer project.

16. Grlgamer89

Grlgamer89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Assuming you meant DTC U0293, you might find minor relief in this thread : U0293 Lost Comm w/ Hybrid Powertrain Control Module | PriusChat[/QUOTE]

I read through that tha read before posting. I followed the steps. None of the fuses were blown, once I put them back in the car was normal for about a day then the lights came back on.

Also, is there any benefit to buying a new 12v battery?

17. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A low 12v battery can confuse the computers causing strange codes. If you are unsure of its condition replace it.

Grlgamer89 likes this.
  18. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you measured the voltage at both the 12v battery in the back, and at the jump points under the hood?

You might check the ground strap coming from the 12v battery to the body, sometimes rust can build on the body side.

Here is the workup for DTC U0293 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/Repair%20Manual/04pruisr/05/2054m/ciu0293.pdf

#18 SFO, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020