1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So many questions! Prius OG's please teach me!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Anastaceyrose, Apr 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Anastaceyrose

Anastaceyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First! I am so glad I found PriusChat! I feel like I am part of a community and it makes me appreciate my Prius even more.

But I have so many questions! I read a few pages into the "What every newbie should know" thread and still don't feel confident that I am getting everything out of my Prius (I bought a 2016 Model 2 in Blizzard Pearl in Feb).

WHAT is the meaning of the different drive modes? 75% of my driving is on the freeway to/from work with little traffic, the other 25% is on rural country roads. Should I be switching the drive modes??? What does the meter with the blue line/green car/red "pwr" gague actually mean? What I THINK it means is: when the little car is green and says "ev" I'm doing something good, and when I'm in the red I'm basically wasting gas.

What do the little yellow "score" boxes mean? When I see a low score I feel like my Prius is rating our relationship(n).

Since I only got the base model, is it not possible to have my album art displayed on the screen when I'm bluetoothing music?

I am OBSESSIVE about the shiny black area on the dash, would it be a good idea to find a shop that can put some kind of protective film on it?

Who else is attending the Prius Parade???? I can't wait for my first Prius event!!

Thank you in advance!!! I have been searching these forums for a few days and can't seem to find answers!! (And if I posted this in the wrong thread please forgive me, im not sure what proper forum etiquette is).

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello and welcome to PriusChat! Congrats on your purchase!

1. Driving modes

This is simply to help customise the vehicle to the different driving styles of different drivers. What it does is manipulate the accelerator pedal for the first 50% of pedal travel. After 50%, they all work the same (so that means if you mash the pedal to get out of an emergency situation, the car will go full blast regardless of what mode you're in).

In ECO mode, the accelerator is less sensitive. This means that you have to press down on the accelerator more to get the same amount of acceleration. This allows for finer control of the pedal, especially those that like to do pulse & glide techniques. Some people like the ability to control the throttle, some people find it too sluggish (requiring more input from the right foot). In ECO mode, your speedometer background is in blue for quick reference.

In Normal mode, the accelerator pedal is in the default setting when they designed the car. I guess there really isn't much more to explain lol. In Normal mode, your speedometer background is turquoise.

In PWR mode ,the accelerator pedal is more sensitive. The car will respond more quickly with less movement of the right foot. This is great for spirited driving up/down the canyon or any other twisty road. Some people prefer to use it on the highway for quick merges or lane changes. In this mode, the car will also learn the way you're driving (pedal application) and will adjust the engine and motor settings accordingly to make the drive more fun. In PWR mode, the speedometer background is red.

You can switch driving modes on the fly (it's just software driven) and really just play around with the different modes and see which one you like!

2. What does the meter with the blue line/green car/red "pwr" gague (sic) actually mean?

That is called the "Hybrid System Indicator" (HSI). It is a function of pedal input essentially and it's a guide to help you drive more fuel efficiently. It's broken up into 3 main segments - CHG, ECO and PWR. The ECO area is sub-divided into two: The first half is called the "Hybrid ECO area" and the latter half is confusingly called the "ECO area" as well.

CHG is fairly self-explanatory. It shows you how much you're regenerating via the electric motors. The harder you brake, the more the CHG section fills up, showing higher regenerative braking.

ECO area. The ECO area is where you want to be for fuel efficient driving. For your base Two which has the NiMH battery, keeping the bar within the first half of the ECO area (Hybrid ECO area) will keep the engine off and usually (but not always) the engine will come on just past the halfway mark. You'll want to accelerate such that your ECO area is full and you're not in the PWR area (as long as traffic allows. Of course go into the PWR area if you need to).

PWR area. This just means that you're potentially accelerating more than you need to. This depends on the situation. If you're going up a hill or if you need to accelerate to change lanes, then by all means go into the PWR area. The ECO area, when the bar is filled, is about 2,000rpm. And when you just fill the PWR area, the engine is approximately spinning at 3,000rpm, so you're not hurting the car in any way.

The green EV car is just an "engine off" indicator. It's a quick way to see if the engine is running or not. That's all it does.

The blue line is the "Eco Acceleration Guide". It's just the car's way to thinking how much you need to accelerate. It takes into account the terrain (it knows if the road is descending and won't asking you to accelerate, for example). It's just another teaching tool. The smaller, thinner, green bar is the one that's associated with your accelerator pedal.

3. What do the little yellow "score" boxes mean? When I see a low score I feel like my Prius is rating our relationship(n).

It's grading you on your acceleration, coasting and braking portion every time you come to a complete stop. It's an immediate feedback tool. The more gentle you accelerate, the higher the score. The longer you coast or glide, the higher the score. And, you guessed it, the more gentle you brake, the higher the score. Your climate control usage is also kept track and graded but only at the end of the trip when you shut down your car (or you can change to the climate screen to see how you're faring). 3 bars? Try a more gentle approach next time. 4 bars? That's pretty good. 5 bars? That's excellent. The braking portion is hard. I've noticed you have to brake lightly for a long stretch to get top marks. Usually I get 4 bars under normal hybrid driving that I've learned over the last 12 years.

4. Since I only got the base model, is it not possible to have my album art displayed on the screen when I'm bluetoothing music?

Gracenote album art is only available on Entune Premium Audio or Entune JBL Premium Audio (Three and higher). I thought you might be able to display album art if you have your own album art embedded into the MP3 file (e.g. through iTunes, you added your own image from your computer, rather than use iTune's auto-download album art).

5.I am OBSESSIVE about the shiny black area on the dash, would it be a good idea to find a shop that can put some kind of protective film on it?

I can't answer that but presumably you can use the same materials as the ones for your phone. Hopefully someone else from CA can recommend a local shop.

3. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello. Welcome. I'm still new myself. Only 2 tankfuls. I'll let the seasoned pros answer your more technical questions; but I'll add a couple comments if I may.

I keep my Three model mostly all the time in the "Eco" mode. It makes the gas pedal feel firmer, but the car performs just fine on the freeway, and city streets. I've had no use for the "power" mode yet. I'm averaging 61 mpg, and just basically driving it like a regular car.

And regarding the shiny black areas on the dash, I'm not sure about any kind of film coating. I just put a light coat of Meguiar's car wax on those black areas. (Same wax I use on the outside of the car.) I keep a soft small micro-fiber cloth in the passenger seat back pocket, and "dust" as necessary. (I also waxed the "white porcelain" cup holder area. I don't believe you have that on your Two model.)

Have fun with your new car.

Anastaceyrose likes this.
  4. Anastaceyrose

Anastaceyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you so much!! I guess I know why I NEVER get the yellow boxes for the braking...ill def be more aware of that now! I tend to drive with a heavy foot so maybe ECO mode will help me pace my acceleration, thanks for responding!!!

#4 Anastaceyrose, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2016
  5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :confused: uhhhh lol.

You're welcome! Yes, ECO mode can help train you and when you're feeling a little pumped, you can always sneak in a PWR mode session :whistle:.

6. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    How and in which way does the car learn the way you drive? where is this documented? does this happen in other 2 modes as well?

Do Prius with Li-Ion batteries really behave differently? why? I thought the differences between the 2 batteries was only weight.
    Why do they sell in EU only the NiMH that can potentially consume more? maybe because of the different testing cycles, in EU the Prius with the NiMH will still offer very good fuel consumption compared to the Gen3?

Considering the amount of posts I am reading from new owners asking a lot of things that are also described in the user manual, I think Toyota should really find a better way to write the manuals or transfer the information to new customers. (e.g. videos?).
    Because the effort to find a forum and write a bunch of questions and reading the sometimes long answers, is probably the same time necessary to open the manual and find the section where the information is, which with 800 pages, two thirds of which are essentially warnings to avoid getting sued, does not really inspire reading...
    They offer also "quick guides", since Gen3, which clearly are either not even looked at from new customers, or do not describe a lot of necessary information for first use....

Tideland Prius likes this.
  7. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And what if a person changes the way they drive? Does the car get angry when it has to go back to school, and re-learn? :ROFLMAO:

I think Toyota could have made the owner's manual much more simple and easier to understand. Do they really think someone wants to read an 800 page book?! (It took me 3 days!)

I came across a few short Toyota instruction videos on YouTube. They were very helpful. But all of them were about previous generations.

"OG"

#7 Coast Cruiser, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  8. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You should drive on EV mode in your neighborhood and in parking lots. Just be aware that other people might not notice you're there because of the silence. To me, it feels like EV mode is more powerful than ECO mode. I usually keep my car in PWR mode. I still get great gas mileage and I feel like I'm not driving something as slow as a Prius. It's actually not that slow of a car. Especially not as slow as my 05 Prius.

Congratulations!;)

9. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I am a big fan of Costco's optical department -- and a bigger fan now that I have a Gen 4.

The microfiber eyeglass cleaning cloths they give out with a pair of glasses are perfect for the Nav screen and surrounding area.

I have returned for extras at the cost of a smile.

10. Anastaceyrose

Anastaceyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, now I'm thinking that there is something wrong with the computer, I made a few trips since yesterday and was VERY conscious of how I was braking (like starting to brake about a mile before the stop) but still NO YELLOW boxes for the braking! What am I doing wrong?

merged

I bought a microfiber towel that I keep in the center console, but even with the screen turned off, it clicks buttons and messes with my audio. I guess the only way to do it is with the car totally OFF.

merged

Thank you! I tried the ECO mode and like it....next I will try PWR. I have been averaging 55.5 MPG and thought that was pretty good until I saw what others on here were getting.

Merged

I did try the owners manual for answers, but it's way too techy for me to inderstand.

I guess I'm Prius Illiterate :confused:

#10 Anastaceyrose, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2016
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    55.5 mpg is excellent!(y)

12. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    55 is great! I get about 50 mpg:(

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Taken from the Tokyo Motor Show press release booklet. Particularly, the "POINT!" section.

upload_2016-4-3_19-50-4.png

Well I found this by accident when I was saying that I can accelerate to 3/4 bar on the HSI before the engine comes on. You, of course know that in the Gen 3, the halfway mark is when the engine comes on. Someone then chimed in and said their engine comes on just after the halfway mark (55-60%). I noticed he had the Two which has the NiMH battery.

I haven't driven the NiMH model to know the difference but this is based on that conversation I had with that PC member. I do notice that in the Gen 4 we have (Li-ion), the battery is more willing to fluctuate in SOC. It'll use the battery more often but it also charges back more quickly.

It could be regional preferences. NiMH is cheaper and it's been nearly bulletproof for Toyota. Or maybe their supplier won't be able to keep up with demand for Li-Ion? (The U.S. is a pretty big market and will consume most of the Li-Ion models since all but the base model has Li-Ion)

Just be aware that driving in EV Drive Mode can lower fuel economy (unless you're intentionally draining the battery before descending a hill that's long enough or steep enough to recharge the battery via regen.

Really? That should net at least 3 out of 5 boxes. We're talking about this screen, right? Are you braking in Drive (and not neutral or "B"?).

upload_2016-4-3_19-54-29.png

upload_2016-4-3_19-52-10.png

pakitt and pjm877 like this.
  14. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, Tidelands. The information and pictures are very helpful My "deceleration score"' is not very good. But my battery indicator always seems to be nearly full, or have a full charge.

Merged

I drive like I always have. But, I'm an "OG" so I'm not really racing around or zipping through corners. I leave it in Eco mode or "Normal." I'm not going slow at all. I pace the traffic. I'm amazed that I've never been below 60 mpg.

It must be my excellent Toyo tires! :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :)

#14 Coast Cruiser, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2016
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen 100/100 once but couldn't capture it in time. I did capture the 99/100.

image.jpeg

krmcg likes this.
  16. Anastaceyrose

Anastaceyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Really? That should net at least 3 out of 5 boxes. We're talking about this screen, right? Are you braking in Drive (and not neutral or "B"?).

View attachment 107832

View attachment 107831 [/QUOTE]

Ok, so I realized yesterday that the yellow boxes for braking only show RIGHT after the stop/brake and then disappear until the next stop....I'm getting the hang of it!! Thank you!

17. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think the OG in this thread title refers to "Original gangsta", as in early adherents or very experienced Prius owners. Going out on a limb a bit, did you perhaps think it meant Old Geezer? Because I don't think it was the OP's intent to run the risk of being mildly insulting while asking for help o_O.

18. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah. I'm pretty sure she meant the Original Prius Ganstas. I shutter to think what that would look like.

19. Anastaceyrose

Anastaceyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Original Prius Gangsters!! Haha, def not the other one(y)

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    guilty as charged.:barefoot: