1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So many warning lights! Car won't go into 'drive'.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ca3799, Oct 19, 2015.

1. ca3799

ca3799 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi ya'll.

My 2012 light up a bunch of warning lights. The text box in the middle said "check hybrid system stop the vehicle in a safe place".

Lit up on the left is the triangle and slip indicator.

On the right, multiple lights are lit. Three are red (battery, brake, power steering) and three are yellow (engine, ABS, and brakes {I think- its a circle with an exclamation point in it})

The car won't go into drive. It will only go to neutral.

I'm thinking "tow to dealer" and "probably something with the brakes."

The car has given me no trouble and no warnings. When I went to back out of my driveway, I heard a 'crunchy' sound. I saw a small branch in the driveway and presumed I had dragged it or run over it. But, I got about a half a block from home when all the lights came on. I stopped and put it in park to see what the lights and message said and could not get it to go into 'drive' to get it home. I just pushed it to the curb and parked.

My husband checked the fuses (OK) and charged the 12v battery. No love. Still lit up.

It's got 50,000 miles and about a month I got I got all new tires and an alignment.

Who wants to guess/suggest what the issue might be?

#1 ca3799, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe that branch dislodged/disconnected a speed sensor at a wheel? Seems that's your hunch, hopefully an easy fix.

3. ca3799

ca3799 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great idea! I will give it a look! Thank you for the suggestion!

4. ca3799

ca3799 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, I didn't see anything loose, so had it towed to the shop.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You sure it was a branch you ran over and not something like Voldemorts Magic Wand?

Sorry..don't mean to make light....or too light..

But your symptoms are so sudden, and numerous, that I wouldn't feign to be able to advance what it might be. But I think a tow to a dealership is a safe starting point for discovery.

Here's hoping it is something simple, and not related to your tire installation or alignment.

Let us know what it does turn out to be.

ca3799 likes this.
  6. ca3799

ca3799 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

No, I'm not convinced it was the branch. It was not very big- maybe finger sized and certainly less than 3 feet long- and not something that would worry me on any other day.

I did have it towed in this morning but have not heard anything yet. I usually prefer a particular, trusted local repairman to my local dealer, but took it to the dealer because my husband found a recall notice when trying to look on-line for advice. It read:

"Toyota is recalling certain model year 2010 through 2014 prius vehicles. In the affected vehicles, the intelligent power module (ipm) inside the inverter module (a component of the hybrid system) contains transistors that may become damaged from high operating temperatures. If this occurs, various warning lamps will be illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle will have reduced power allowing it to only drive a short distance. The vehicle may enter a fail-safe/limp-home mode that limits the drivability of the vehicle. The hybrid system could also shut down completely resulting in a vehicle stall, increasing the risk of a crash.
    Remedy
    Toyota will notify owners and dealers will update the software for both the motor/generator control electronic control unit (ecu) and the hybrid control ecu, free of charge. If an owner experiences a failure of the inverter before the vehicle receives updated software, the dealer will replace the inverter assembly with a new one at no charge. The recall began on March 21, 2014."

Mine did not enter "limp home" mode. It would not leave neutral or enter drive.

This is my third Prius and I've never had a single mechanical problem with any of them.

I will update!

#6 ca3799, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  7. ca3799

ca3799 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you mean voldemorts wand, or the elder wand?

The Electric Me likes this.
  9. ca3799

ca3799 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The service desk called and said they will replace the power inverter and computer under the recall notice. He thinks the tow will be covered under my extended warranty plan, too. He expects the parts tomorrow and it may also be ready tomorrow as well.

All good news, so far.

bisco likes this.
  10. ca3799

ca3799 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yay! I got my car back. The repair was priced at $2600.00 but covered under the recall. The tow was covered under the extended (?) warranty.

Codes: P0A94,- DC/DC converter performance- detail code 533 and 557, C1259- HV system regerative malf, & C1310- malf in HV system AGG79H.

m.wynn likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Dying inverters is getting to be a common refrain here. There was a recall for the inverter software, and a number of owners (US only?) that got warranty extension letters, but by no means all. So we continue to "talk among ourselves", not much from Toyota of late, say information, or a blanket warranty extension.

12. Ross Del Duca

Ross Del Duca New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If someone else lands here, I had the exact same symptoms but for a very different cause. It happened immediately after I replaced a flat tire. Started the car, got tons of warning lights on, and car wouldn't go into park.

Turns out that somehow, when I was putting the spare back in and all the accessories, I bumped the orange connector that plugs in just under the air vent that cools the main battery. I'm not sure, But I believe this is the main battery disconnect. It may have already been loose. But to make it fully seat, I had to push it in, and then push the clip that is on it sideways until it locked. As soon as I did that, the car was back to normal.