1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So much for Toyota's job creation

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by malorn, Jan 24, 2006.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am not sure, but how much income tax should they pay on billions of dollars in losses?

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

No, for there's a pre-tax and after-tax column...

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What about General Electric entering into a partnership with Snecma Moteurs of France to build the CFM-56 series of fuel efficient, clean, high bypass turbofan for airliners? The CFM motors are assembled in France.

What about Oracle now having most of their DB support in India?

What about American Power Conversion assembling most of their UPS's in the Phillipines?

The metaphor (Or "symbol" as you call it) for all of this: even if it's invented in North America, it's still pissed away to a foreign country.

Remember the concept of Quality Control, as envisioned by Dr. Deming? When he tried to pitch that idea to The Big Three, they laughed at him. He then found a willing audience at Sony and Toyota.

What I've seen - as a result of extensive business travel to China and India, and having Chinese engineers working at my office - is the glaring difference in work ethic. You can whine all you want - which BTW my Chinese co-workers find endlessly amusing - but the cruel hard fact is this: we don't have a work ethic.

Deal with it.

And please *please* seek professional help.

4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think you need to attend some counseling with me....how long ago did Deming pitch his ideas to the big three? Not very recent history that you are refering to.

5. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Yes! I should've mentioned the EV1 as well. I was very enthusiastic about it when it came out (I thought it might even "save" GM... ahh, those were the days). Would love to take one of the few surviving ones for a spin, but they are mostly kept under lock and key...

- Bob R.

6. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

You know, I just looked EV1, as I never heard of it, why in the world did THEY ditch it?

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, did you also have a problem with the 'lazy' media that never questioned Ford's claim of “Quality is Job One�

Toyota could have built those plants and jobs in Japan. They didn't. They added the jobs and plants to our economy. It is the domestics which lost jobs here in America.

"Selling what you have rather than what consumers want doesn't make sense," said Bill Ford Jr., chairman of the auto company bearing the family name. "It used to be that you'd build it and they'd buy it. But that's wrong, that's antiquated. Now it will be that if they will buy it, we will build it."
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi...hi-business-hed

WOW! A glimmer of hope. :mellow:

9. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I work with china and will continue doing so as I'm laughing all the way to the bank!

2 words that sum it all up from another poster:

work ethic!

My ONLY negative about working with china is the time it takes to get my goods. IF If I could get my goods manufactured in the US at the cost I get them from china I would do it in a second.

However even though I import from china I create tons and tons of jobs for people here in the US! So in the end I'm helping us not hurting us!

10. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    doesn't look like a loss to me.

Ford Reports Net Income of $2B for 2005

they're losing plenty of money in north america, but still making money overall.

11. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Here is a good Wikipedia overview of the EV1:
    I heard an interview about a year ago (on NPR, I think) about the final demolition of the EV1s in Arizona, with one of the original EV1 program managers. Her comments indicated that she didn't believe there was a conspiracy at GM to kill the EV1, but that typical intra-corporate rivalry between divisions and a lack of any real priority for the EV1 led to its premature demise.

- Bob R.

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    and toyota is expanding and investing quite a bit of money here in NA.

from ward's auto:

The company's direct employment is 38,000,
    with a current investment of $16.3 billion. In addition, Toyota's annual
    purchasing of parts, materials, goods and services from North American
    suppliers totals more than $26 billion. Toyota's North American-produced
    vehicles include the Avalon, Camry, Corolla, Matrix, Sienna, Solara, Sequoia,Tacoma, Tundra, and the Lexus RX 330. In late 2006, Toyota will begin producing the Camry Hybrid in Kentucky, and in 2008, RAV4 will begin production in Ontario.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Deming pitched his idea in the late 1950's. When it came back to haunt The Big Three, they made loud promises about "Quality Is Job 1" and such, but it was just an empty promise.

The key difference? The Asians took the message to heart. We didn't. Now we're paying for it.

As I've mentioned in other posts, I do quite a bit of foreign business-related travel. My background is embedded programming, primarily industrial sensors. Am I "selling out" to the Asians? Maybe. Does it pay well? You bet!

Since I readily compare/contrast North Americans and Asians WRT their work ethic, productivity, and behaviour of corporations, trust me on this: we need to do a lot more, instead of sitting on our fat asses and hoping for the "good times" to return.

14. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The fact is Toyota eliminates two jobs in North America for every job they create. :(

15. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Yeah I agree! Asians know how to work and get things done! (I'm like them!)

16. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, i suppose with the crap kind of quality GM and Ford are hacking out to us, you do need about twice as many service stations for each of them than you need for Toyota...

and from the sound of it, Ford is about to create 2 jobs in Asia for every job in NA that they create.

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh *please* not this again!

I suggest you read "Democracy for the Few," by Michael Parenti: ISBN 0-312-05233-2. Especially P.81, comparing the Federal income taxes paid by a single working mother with 3 kids and $10,500 income, to the taxes paid by GM, GE, Boeing, DuPont, AT&T.

Why do you think I incorporated and became a contract employee? I got sick and tired of talking to the bleating Sheeple, and decided if I can't beat 'em, join 'em. I'll still happily sit down with a Sheeple and compare my Federal tax return to theirs.

With income 4-6 times the person I'm talking too, my net taxes are very minor or zero. I show them the entire return - as prepared by my accountant - and they still think I'm somehow "cheating." I encourage them to write down my taxpayer ID number, and "squeal" on me.

I then try to convince them to get a large group of their co-workers and friends together to demand a *stop* to that. They do nothing. Seems as long as the boob toob keeps flickering in their face, and they have enough for a sixer and maybe a toke, they're "happy."

Argh this is pointless. I'm going out to eat.

18. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Unbelievable. The resident troll hangs his sign out and the flock comes running every time.

19. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

At least he's doing in in the Pancake house!

20. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't disagree with much of what you say Jayman. I am around vehicles every day and try to stay abreast of the competition, I ALWAYS rent a Toyota, or Nissan when I am traveling. 10 years ago, there was a real difference with fit and finish and thus quality, short-term and long-term. In mid-December I rented an '05 Toyota Camry in Detroit and drove the car about 225 miles over 4 days. The car is average at best. It would be interesting to take all of the identification off of an altima, a malibu, a camry, and a fusion, have people drive them 500 miles and then get their 'honest' opinion. I know what would finish last.