1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So THAT'S why I was getting such lousy mileage....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mcbrunnhilde, Feb 22, 2005.

1. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Someone recently posted on a Yahoo group that his mileage dropped and he found that his tire(s) needed inflating. Well, this tank (and probably part of the last one as well) have been in the toilet. I struggled to keep it at 44mpg with the 100+ miles in this tank (my current LMPG is right about 50). So....taking the other poster's suggestion, I took my handy-dandy little 12v compressor and proceeded to check and inflate my tires yesterday. Much to my surprise, I found my right rear tire flat as a pancake! I had obviously driven some on it like that, because the sidewall appeared to have been damaged (although not torn). I called Toyota Roadside Service, and got the mini spare on within 1/2 hour.

I went to a local Goodyear store today, and while they didn't have an Integrity in stock, I was there early enough that they got it added to their daily shipment from the warehouse. I called for the pre-authorization that you need before submitting reimbursement paperwork, and they told me that I needed the tread depth on the damaged tire, and the cost of the new tire with mounting/balancing. It's a good thing I called while I was still at Goodyear, because I didn't know they'd ask for tread depth! I went back home and got a call a couple of hours later that my tire was ready. The manager on duty was a former certified Prius tech with a nearby Toyota dealer, so I didn't have a problem giving him my fob to drive the car onto the lift. :) I'm going to mail my paperwork tonight, so I'll see how long it takes me to get reimbursed......

I'm pretty good at checking my tire inflation, but this obviously happened within the last week. I think one problem is that when I drive someplace, I generally park so that the driver's door is nearest to where I want to go--I literally don't see the passenger side of the car most of the time! Maybe I'll start parking so I'll see the passenger side more often.

Moral: If you are getting unusually low mileage, DO check your tires!

(cross posting to other groups 'cause I think it's useful info--sorry for the duplication)

2. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

Well, I think you missed a prime opportunity to get rid of some seriously deficent tires. The Goodyear Intergrities are some real cheap tires.

I was at the Goodyear store today looking at the Comfortreds, vastly better tires.

Check the feedbacks at Tire Rack on the sponsored link on the left, hardly a good word for these shoddy tires that the Toyota folks slap on these cars. The present set of OEM choices for the Lexus 430 are vastly better tires.

They are checking to see if I can get any credit for these tires, after 3900 miles they are already cupping, front and rear.

3. dbarry

dbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As another alternative look at the Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires. - they're available in 185/65HR15 88H.

Tirerack.com shows them at $87 each. Great riding tire, although fair in snow. If you have lots of snow, go for the Michelin Harmony series.

4. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well.....I don't have a cupping problem (I usually inflate them to 42/40), and San Diego's climate (um, except for our near-record rainfall right now) is pretty kind to most tires. I will gladly change the tires when these wear out, but I'm definitely going to wait until I have to.

I hope if anyone has personal experience with replacement tires that they will post it here or on the toyota-prius Yahoo group. John1701a has an amazing website with oodles of Prius info, and I'm sure he would like to add more recommended tires to his list. He does a wonderful service for the Prius community by gathering data (mostly his own, which is why he's the "Prius Guru" on this board!). I intend to check his site when I finally need to replace the OEM tires.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No, if you have lots of snow, invest in proper winter tires.

I have the Michelin Harmony and will state for a fact that it's only fair at best in heavy snow. On glare ice, it's almost impossible to get moving, especially up an icy parking ramp. The Trac will kick in and you just sit there.

The Prius isn't the most stable tracking car out there, and I had some scary moments driving on snow/ice this winter before my winter tires came in. I have Dunlop Graspic DS-2 winter tires and they are vastly superior in winter conditions.

I would have preferred studded winter tires, they're much better on glare ice, but the condo where I live has heated underground parking and they sealed the cement slab. They're afraid the studs will damage the coating.

6. Marg

Marg New Member

Same thing happened to me. I had a sudden change in numbers. I thought it might be either a sudden cold snap or a tire pressure problem. I consulted Priuschat. Most PCers guessed that the cold was the problem, but one person really, really encouraged me to the check the tires.

We did, there was a pressure problem, a nail in the tire was discovered, we got it fixed and things were dandy once more.

7. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

Eventually I'm going to switch over to Michelin HydoEdge P185/65R15 86T