1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So this happened... Ouch

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by James2012, Jun 15, 2017.

1. James2012

James2012 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Took my Prime in for my 5k service to my local Toyota dealer. An hour later, my name is called. The girl says that her service manager wanted to see me. I thought that they might try to sell me something. Instead... they tell me that they have bad news. FML... The tech hit something and it made this damage. I see a minimum of 3 body parts that need to be replaced. The hubcap is scratched up and the rim edge got scraped up too.

They're of course going to fix it and assures me that it won't be registered on stuff like Carfax.

I told them that I expect that the affected parts be replaced with OEM parts for the body, rim, and hubcap (meaning, I don't simply want things fixed). I'm of course concerned with the painting process - which may make the affected areas look different than the rest of the car's factory paint. I also insisted on an alignment check be done.

Do you recommend any other follow-ups? I'm concerned about any possibilities of depreciation from this incident.

Ouch.jpg

Nell262 likes this.
  2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My guess is that the car will be in the shop for a week. Get at least a Prius as a loaner. That's a pretty expensive tire rotation. Does the dealer have their own collision center? When they are done you won't be able to see the difference.

Nell262 likes this.
  3. blueterp

blueterp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I did almost the exact same damage to mine a week after getting it. I have an appointment to get it repaired in July. It's suppose to cost $2000 and 8 days. I turned too soon into a knee-high cement wall.

4. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    20170608_064823.jpg
    Here is my damage from a front side swiped. Plastic and maybe bumper support damage. Nothing serious. Looks worse than it is. It looks like the Terminator 2 now.

#1 in Easley,SC

5. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry to see this happening to you. Of course you'd like to believe the dealer has your best interests at heart. Unfortunately, I've had too many bad experiences with dealerships doing their best to get away with anything they can. In fact, I'm sure they would have turned the car back over to you if they thought they could have done so without you knowing. Of course the damage was too evident for that.

My biggest concern is whether they will repair everything to the highest standards possible. After all, this is a new car. Perhaps they can provide some kind of warranty for their work, especially regarding the integrity of the paint. I'd hate to see it start to peel or flake off later, and you're stuck having to repaint it. The damage seems to be only to the panels/paint -- nothing underneath. So I'm not sure whether this would have any effect on future value. In my opinion, any loss of value from a carfax can be easily offset by poor workmanship that requires additional costs later on.

Please keep us posted on your progress. Good luck!

6. James2012

James2012 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks for sharing your words everyone... They assured me a lifetime warranty. I told them I wanted photographic evidence of the damaged parts not being repaired and reused. I also insisted on a Prius but they only gave me a Corolla - because ultimately, me paying for gas is going to cost me, at the very least. They also gave me Corolla with an empty gas tank (light was on, 20 mile remaining!) They truly gave me every reason to blow my top. I turned around immediately and made them fill up the tank, which they filled to full. I of course will not be returning a car with a full tank next week and will let them know exactly why they're not going to charge me for not doing so.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  7. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did they tell you how the guy did this? That is a pretty good scrape.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    major bummer! another black mark for dealers, not that they needed it. how is it that they can do this, and you are never made whole. i would at least have a talk with my insurance agent and consumer affairs, as well as the dealer manager. all the best!(y)

Data Daedalus and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Ooooh... OUCH! Someone swiped YOU, or... ? :whistle: (Feel free to disregard / ignore my questions... snicker....)

10. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I was pulling into a median where the traffic was stopped for a red light to my right and I was going to turn left after getting to the median. Cars left an opening for me to get to the median. I went to the median and a F350 crew cab was speeding in the median to go by the stopped cars to get to the left turn lane up ahead. He saw me come out and swerve into the oncoming traffic lane to avoid hitting me, which he still hit me and ripped the passenger side front bumper off. He also tried to correct himself and turn right, but over corrected and hit into the back of a new Silverado pickup that was stopped at the red light. It was the other guy's fault. He got charged. I didn't. Total cost for the repair was quoted at $6432.00.

#1 in Easley,SC

#10 dalcon95, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  11. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You gotta admit... your car looks pretty awesome like that. Good luck on getting it fixed!

Data Daedalus and dalcon95 like this.
  12. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ouch! Looks bad (though the left profile should look normal). Hope the fix turns out well. I'm guessing that's about $7K in damage.

Data Daedalus and dalcon95 like this.
  13. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I was quoted $6432.

#1 in Easley,SC

14. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hmmm... "unique"? Absolutely! (y) But "awesome"? IMHO, not so much... :( ....

15. TheBippi

TheBippi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Should they fail to fix your car to a higher standard, definitely leave them a negative Yelp review along with giving a call to Toyota Corporate to file a formal complaint against the dealership. That's utterly careless of them and they should do everything within their power to correct as well as recompense you for the inconvenience!

16. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Toyota Customer Experience Service Line : (800) 331-4331 x33

If you want stuff to get done, call that number.
    If the stuff's done to less than you expect, call that number.

This number is not posted on the Toyota website for reasons you can probably understand. I have it saved in my phone and secretly wait for the day I need to call it on speaker phone from the dealership.

Data Daedalus, m.wynn, ruby and 10 others like this.
  17. TheBippi

TheBippi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This is super helpful and I'm going to keep this handy now myself...Thank you for this!

18. Hybrid Battery 911

Hybrid Battery 911 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry for your experience here. You would think that of all places, their techs would be extra careful. Stay on it until everything is done to your standards of "new"! Hope it goes well for you.

19. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It is why we keep coming back to this site...information is great.

20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What makes you believe the dealer's collision center is any better or worse than any other collision center? Just because their employee damaged the car doesn't entitle them to make repairs. Did you get any quotes? Did you have a discussion with anyone in the shop?

Given the interaction with the dealer I would have filed a claim with my insurance company. If the dealer can't find at least a Prius I'm sure another rental company can and I wouldn't care about the cost as I'll be reimbursed by my insurance company who will collect from the dealer.

I understand the anger and the frustration but the damage is minor and cosmetic. I doubt any shop will even try to find aftermarket body panels and you'll find that it is usually cheaper to replace than to repair.

Now that the first ding is behind you the next one won't be so traumatic.

Keep us posted.

Data Daedalus and Mendel Leisk like this.