1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So this jerk-off says...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mystery Squid, Jul 13, 2005.

1. jtmhog

jtmhog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For Johnycat 26:

The Civic hybrid does not shut down at stop lights; the Insight shuts down at stop lights. The redesigned 06 Cvic hybrid will close the valves and shut off fuel flow but, the eingine will continue to spin at stop lights.

2. jtmhog

jtmhog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Even the CEO of Toyota says hybrids doesn't make economic sense for Americans. The return on investment period is too long due to relatively low gas prices.

3. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

>>You go from a vechicle that costs 35K and costs $300/mo. in gas to a 24K vehicle that costs $60/mo. in gas, there you have a MPG solution<<

I don't think you'll see that unless you're interested in emissions, but that's just my opinion. A 35k car is waaaaay nicer than a Prius.

Also, I contest your mpg. Its great you may get 58mpg, but I've never seen anything higher than a very brief 50, and mostly we get 42. I've seen a lot of posts that would agree with me. Still tho, 42 IS better than 18, but when you only drive 5k a year, it takes a long time for it to be worth it.

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't even know that you have to go that far... most 20K cars are waaaaay nicer than the prius, and quite a few of them get 30mpg or more. The Accord 4cyl gets 34mpg on the highway and costs 23K. Is the extra milage penalty worth the fact that it's a nicer car? Hard to decide. A year ago I would have said the Prius is worth the premium. But with more hybrids on the scene, I'm not so sure the Prius makes as much sense anymore.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I've met another Prius owner here. His other car is a Germany-imported 190E series (i.e. euro-spec). His Prius is a silver with Nav Pack and leather, heated and massaginf front AND rear seats, has a set of PIAA foglights and has a disorganised interior lol. Anyway, the point is, people have different reasons for getting a Prius. Some it's fuel economy, others it's emissions or the cool factor or the toys and so on. I've noticed it's those who drive/can afford cars <CDN$20,000 that pooh-pooh the Prius (not to be discriminative but that seems to be the trend)

6. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Sure, it's way nicer... but that introduces a whole other dimension...

Anyway, as for you contesting my MPG's, every tank I've used since I bought the car back in May has consistently yielded me 55-60mpg (a good mix of city/highway driving), and I can prove it with pics. And that's been about 6 tanks... I'm not sure what to tell you if you're hovering around 42, looks like you might not be making the most out of cruising/maintaining speed only using the electric engine (just guessing here). Work on letting up on the gas pedal with respect to topography... And I don't "put around" either...

FWIW, I've averaged 25K miles a year consistenly for the past 5 years or so.

:D

7. Mystery Squid

Of course, there is a psychological dimension here no one has brought up...

When you buy the car, that's one transaction. You spend the money, and BOOM, it's gone in one day. Psychologically, it's out of your mind shortly thereafter, HOWEVER, you feel good about repeatedly spending less at the pump, where time and time again you're reminded how much less your spending on gas...

What I spent on my Prius, is gone. That money is an obscure memory now. I USED to be at the gas station twice a week, swiping my card into the reader knowing that every swipe cost me $50, time and time again. Now, I go to the station maybe once a week, and every time I swipe that card, I feel a lot of relief knowing the most I'm going to spend is about $22 (at least for now!). The idea of savings is re-inforced time and time again, right there, in real time.

:mrgreen:

8. Mystery Squid

No, you don't have to go that far, I was using a, more or less, arbitrary example.

I will agree you don't have to go that far though... My mom has a 4 cyl. Accord, and I love driving it whenever I'm down visting her.

Although I do have to ask, why is "more hybrids on the scene" lowering the "sense" factor?

9. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, let's say the upcoming Fusion hybrid from Ford gets 42mpg, and this is probably quite a low guess, which I believe is a safe assumption because it uses the same powertrain as the Escape hybrid (4 cyl + 94hp elec) and that gets 38mpg and should weigh a bit more (and not to mention isn't nearly as aerodynamic as the sedan will be). So lower milage than the Prius but from the pictures it has a much nicer interior. And I can't believe any car will ever top the Prius in the department of "hard and cheap plastic", so that's another plus. A more powerful engine and handling that doesn't remind you of a bar of wet soap, plusses. So if it costs as much as the Escape hybrid (27K-30K), it's a decent car. If it costs less, it's a fantastic deal.

Same goes for the upcoming Altima hybrid. If you've been in an Altima you know it's got loads of plastic, but it's not the hard brittle stuff that's in the Prius.

So a year ago, the Prius was the best deal in Hybrid cars, hands down. This time next year, I don't think it will be anymore.

10. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

>><Sure, it's way nicer... but that introduces a whole other dimension... <<

My point was, I don't think you're going to step down from a 35k car to a prius on mileage alone. It has to be on emissions, and frankly most people don't care about that.

To back up a minute, the original reason I posted was the title of the thread - "So this jerk-off says..." and you go on to pretend how superior your knowledge is. If we believe the true value of the hybrid (right now anyway) is its advantage on emissions, that attitude will do nothing to further a "green" cause.

Again, my commute is 3 miles one way. I can drive a hummer and it hardly matters. I'm lucky.

11. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Yup, sooner or later, something better will come along. I, for one, am looking forward to see what the choices will be. (Though I'll probably hold onto my Prius for some time -- I tend to cycle through cars very slowly.)

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well that's how things go. Something will always be better than another. It's a good thing. Competition helps everyone grow faster. Saying the Prius will be the best car, hands down despite what the competition throws at it is a bit of an overstatement. Each will have its pros and cons but the best thing is seeing the take on the hybrid drivetrain and packaging/pricing from each manufacturer.

13. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    how the HELL are 35k cars nicer, or even 20k cars nicer? How can you compare an accord when the Prius has that much more features. Unless you are talking about hrmmm LEATHER? which is stinky and becomes ugly when its old. Or maybe the conventional transmissions, or Stupid Key Systems, etc. An Acura TL has everything the Prius has except it has leather and a sunroof BUT it lacks smart entry and is at 35k. I've even driven an 80k car and I still think my Prius which isnt package 6, is still better. price means nothing. the only reason Toyota made it so cheap is because they also sell it in Japan where cars are normally 20-25k. Otherwise they wouldnt be able to sell it because the cost of living in Japan is so high.

14. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that the abundant use of cheap plastic on the Prius is functional. It is used because it weighs less then steel.
    All the details which we constantly discuss like the thermos style coolant bottle and the variable drive planetary gear tranny are all designed to allow the conventional gas engine to be as efficient as possible. All the electric stuff is just icing on the cake. Without it, the car would still get very good milage anyway and produce less emissions too. These improvements, if added to conventional cars, would improve their milage and emissions also.
    A conventional piston driven motor is 100+ year old technology. If we began designing a car today with modern materials and current technology it certainly would not be gas powered. Hydrogen would probably be the fuel of choice because of it's abundance and it's emissions would be water. There are no hydrogen fueling stations built yet and it would be costly to introduce them. So, we use old tech and fuse it with new tech so we can still use existing infastructure. The whole idea of using fossil fuels is archaic and until we stop supporting oil companies, will real progress be made. This is but a first step.
    So, The real story here is not what is a better car, but how can we make more technologically advanced cars to improve milage and emissions and still use our infastructure.
    The prius is a small step in improvements that will continue to develop. I suspect that in my lifetime we will have access to autos that routinely get 50 miles to the gallon and require less maintainance and have all the creature comforts one desires. Too bad we didn't do it first!
    -Paul R. Haller-

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a question. Won't 20 million cars emitting water do something to the water cycle and the atmosphere?

16. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We would probably get more rain.
    -Paul R. Haller-

17. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

We are each entitled to our opinion but...
    You're right. The Nissan Skyline doesn't sell very well in Japan. They can't sell an expensive car their to save their life.
    In summary, I'm darn glad you love your prius, and you should, you spent hard earned money on it. I'm glad we have ours too, but I'd rather have my bimmer back.

18. bookrats

bookrats New Member

The amount of water I've seen emitted from prototype hydrogen fuel cell cars is really a very, very small trickle.

I don't know if things will change with a "production" hydrogen fuel cell vehicle (whatever that is), but at the current rate, I can't picture it have environmental changes to that degree.

What I could imagine is something another PriusChat poster brought up -- wouldn't that make wet highways the default condition?

19. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dude, have you been in a Civic hybrid? It ABSOLUTELY shutsdown at stop lights, as will the '06. The only time it will not is if you have the A/C on, and the '06 isn't affected by that.

20. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Accord is built a bit more solidly than the Prius. The Accord won't do the squeaky-squeaky over uneven pavement like my Prius does. It also has features the Prius doesn't have, like... do not know... soft touch materials.

You're kidding right? I never noticed that all those nice cars out there with the nice interiors (VW, Honda, Volvo, etc.) used STEEL interiors! Holy crap! That's how they do it!

Seriously tho, do you really think that there is a huge difference in weight between soft and hard plastic? The only difference is cost. Toyota went on the cheap with the Prius interior.