1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So we bought a Gen2 for the kid

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by fotomoto, Mar 18, 2016.

1. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Unfortunately that day has come for us nervous parents: our oldest child is of driving age. I cast the used car buying net far and wide looking for something safe, reliable, and reasonably cheap and it always kept coming back to a used Prius. Funny how that works.

We were very fortunate to find a creampuff '06 Base with rear cam with only 44k miles. Yeah, that's not a typo. Literally owned by the proverbial little old lady who only used it around town (I'm sure she went to church on Sundays too :) ). All recalls done, dealership lifetime records, and comes with tinted windows, a new optima yellow top and brand new tires too. (y)

There is some bad news. The battery threw codes, verified by the dealer, and has had one module replaced by a family member so we are on borrowed time. My plan is to soldier on his final two years of high school, condition the pack with a grid charger, replace any possible future failed modules and eventually replace the entire pack with a new one when he leaves for college (and we kick him out the door HAH!).

He thinks it's pretty cool.

IMG_1750.JPG odometer 2006 prius.jpg IMG_1734.JPG IMG_1740.JPG

wjtracy, WilDavis and Sergiospl like this.
  2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey congratulations! Looks like a keeper! I would definitely go with the grid-charger solution (I recently started using one on my 2009 Gen II (110,000miles) no problems yet with the Traction-Battery, but I'm doing it just in case! (I recently replaced the 12V Auxiliary-Battery - one sign that it's on its last legs is you might notice the SKS system starting to get flakey - I see from you pics that your car has SKS) - hope this helps - Nice car, love the colour! ;) - Wil

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    man that car is clean!
    You should see our 06 after carrying 3 grandkids in the back quite a while now. Baked on Cherrios etc.
    Hey but our HV battery solid! Go figure?

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    +1 on beyond clean.

Get Weathertech floor mats and trunk mat fromPriuschat Shoppe.

Since grandma paid for dealer maintenance, I would hit up the dealer and Toyota Customer Care for a discounted HV Pack. Maybe they'll offer you one for $1500?

#4 exstudent, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  5. mts22

mts22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Wow! That is one clean car. Congrats on the purchase. I've heard that sometimes a hybrid being underused can cause problems for the battery. Is there any truth to this? Just curious.

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A 2006 model year would likely have been purchased in 2005 or 2006. That would make the battery 11 or 10 years old. Most likely age and heat killed the battery.

7. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm so jealous that car is SUPER clean. I'm considering using a grid charger on my 08 that I just bought with 191,000 on it, and with original traction and 12v battery. Great buy and I think with your game plan, the car will serve you well. I'm looking for a luggage cover....are you planning to use yours? :)

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Thx! Yes, I am definitely going to pursue grid charging.

That's what the dealership told her too. Also over the years, it had been in twice for a dead 12v.

Sorry, we are going to keep it but I'm sure they pop up on ebay.